• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

Since I've gotten into this game I've been running around in trial 'Mechs, asking questions, and digging into anything I can get my hands on. In terms of lore that pretty much means trying to find my way around the Battletech wiki.

I wanted to try and take a new outlook on this game, as it is very complex and very steep in it's learning curve. If I'm going to get into it, I'm going to be here a long time, and I may as well get into something I enjoy because it looks cool or I like the story behind it, rather than it being "best."

With that said I have my "favorites" in the universe. I've been reading about the FRR and what surrounds that. Most recently I've learned about the connection with Clan Ghost Bear and the eventual merging[?].

Right now I'm starting my life out as a mercenary and haven't even really dabbled in CW, as I have just trials,, but I do want to take a whack at it someday, whether it be under the banner of the Clan, the FRR or something different entirely.

Right now, all I know about myself is that I am "Breidr Breidsson" young pilot and soldier of fortune. I'd venture further to say that I have a Scandinavian heritage stemming from my FRR parents.

Beyond that, I am kind of at a loss. As a young pilot, what would of have access to? ['Mech wise especially] Would starting life as a mercenary be the "normal" way of things. How common is house loyalty?

I'd just like to form the "character" of my pilot around the universe. If I find a fit and dig into things a bit more, I feel my enjoyment would go up exponentially. I also wanted to buy a hero mech eventually, but I'll worry about fitting that in later, but some of them are just downright cool [I'm looking at you Firebrand].

Edited by Breidr Breidsson, 23 April 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#2 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

House loyalty is very common. It's a common trope that a player is from some minor noble family and that's why they have their Mech. If you are looking at FRR, there are a couple more that are pretty common as well. First and most often used is the Clan War orphan. Your parents were killed and through luck and scavenging you acquired a Mech and now seek revenge against the Invaders. Secondly, you were taken as a Bondsman by the Invading Clan and earned, or are earning, your place among them as a MechWarrior.

Head out to Sarna.net to learn more about the lore. You can read about the history of all the factions there and make a more informed decision.

Also if you'd like a more complex example, I'd be willing to share mine if you want.

Edit because from and form are not the same.

Edited by Spike Brave, 23 April 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#3 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

Try reading the "classic" Battletech books. They explain through significant stories the background universe and the role of Mechwarriors within it (both clan and IS). The books are mostly out of print, but there are some epubs floating around the internet and some that you can buy on Amazon. http://bg.battletech...the-board-game/ has a nice primer on the universe. Welcome to MWO!

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

[pirate] battletech e-books are easy to find on irc and pirate libs

it's if you want to find a pirate version of averroes middle commentary on poetics you are out of luck but if you want to read about jade falcon clan, you are welcome

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:09 PM

even Mercs are often loyal to a specific house, e.g. the Grey Death Legion and the Kell Hounds are loyal to Steiner and for much of their history the Northwind Highlanders may as well be a Liao house unit.

as a new Merc the Locust or UrbanMech are probably the most likely Mechs for you to get hold of, however I would not recomend ether to a beginner in MWO.

it is possible for a Mercenary to obtain literally any Mech,
if you are rich you may be able to purchase one from a faction you are on good terms with,
if your contract includes salvage rights you could salvage a Mech you destroyed (when I got the Clan Invasion pack I decided not to use a chassis until I had killed at least one of them to simulate this)
some Mercenary have even received Mechs as gifts from one of the factions.

#6 Breidr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida, US

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

The chassis I've had my eyes on or the Hunchback, Jagermech, Stalker, and Catapult. Mostly the Hunchback as it can fill a lot of roles with it's varients and the Jagermech seems like a decent fire support mech. It can shoot what it sees, and I shoot mountains way more than I should.

If there is any information on how those mechs can mesh with FRR mercs and such I'd love to learn about it.
I've also though of a scenario that has me using a repurposed workmech in the militia, but not sure how I could pull it off in-game.

#7 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:09 AM

The good thing about FRR in terms of light RP is that many mechs could have conceivably been used. Both Steiner and Kuritan mechs would be very common; both the Draconis Combine (house kurita) and the Lyrans (house Steiner) had occupied worlds in the FRR.

http://www.sarna.net...nce_BattleMechs

http://www.sarna.net...ine_BattleMechs

Keep in mind that plenty of these mechs only exist after 3052; many of them exist far in the future for BT. But if you see a mech both in-game and on that list, that's a start.

Of course, mechs that are widely used by all sides are fair game as well. The Hunchback, for example, is pretty lore-friendly for any IS pilot to use. A Dragon, likely only used by Kuritans or the FRR. Unless you go way out there and just claim "it was salvage from a mech hangar we took! :^)"

So, I mentioned the Hunchback. It was biggest for the DCMS (Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery/Kurita), and the Capellans (House Laio). So due to the former Kuritan occupation of current FRR worlds, the hunchback is nice.

The Jagermech is an iconic Lyran or Steiner mech, from what I remember. So that'd be fine for FRR RP.

I was wrong about the Jagermech. Seems it was nearly exclusively used by house Davion (federated suns), with some use by the Capellans from looted chassis. So for RP, it is unlikely to justify much use of it with FRR.

And I was kinda wrong again, jesus. I guess the Kuritans got plenty of Jagermechs from the Davions from captured facilities, but mostly from Davions giving them technical specs to build their own. This was right up at the clan invasion, once the IS realized "oh god things are bad"

The Stalker is an old Star League design that seems to be used by pretty much everyone. So that's fair game.

The Catapult is also an old Star League design that was used by pretty much everyone, but mostly the Capellans and Draconis. So that's plenty good.

And I know how you are Breidr, you'll really enjoy the universe BT has to offer. It's a shame that MWO doesn't take it into high account, but reading the source material is actually enjoyable just on its own.

Maybe its because I'm such a fan of classic science fiction, but I really do love the lore.

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 24 April 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#8 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostBreidr Breidsson, on 24 April 2015 - 12:58 AM, said:

The chassis I've had my eyes on or the Hunchback, Jagermech, Stalker, and Catapult. Mostly the Hunchback as it can fill a lot of roles with it's varients and the Jagermech seems like a decent fire support mech. It can shoot what it sees, and I shoot mountains way more than I should.

If there is any information on how those mechs can mesh with FRR mercs and such I'd love to learn about it.
I've also though of a scenario that has me using a repurposed workmech in the militia, but not sure how I could pull it off in-game.
If possible, I suggest that you read the "MechWarrior, The BattleTech Role Playing Game" published 1986 by FASA !
Posted Image
At http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1555601294 used copies are offered for 5$ or more ...

The newest reprint, called "A Time of War: The BattleTech RPG" is available for 50$ at http://bg.battletech...leplaying-game/ but I would recomend a OLDER VERSION, as this one is playing in the 31st century.
BUT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD A FREE PDF WITH QUICK-START RULES HERE: http://bg.battletech.com/downloads/

MfG, MEX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users