Why Is The Mwo Patcher Not Capable Of A Clean Patch?

13 replies to this topic

#1 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

Why is it every time there is patch the repair tool has to repair something with the game? Now I don't know if this just recently changed but the last patches the patcher would automatically download new files to repair the installation and I thought it was odd that it seemed like it had to do this after every single patch.

Well this patch it popped up after it had downloaded and installed everything saying it had detected an issue with the installation and asked if I wanted to run the repair tool so I did. It found 9 mismatched files right after this patch and these are files that are modified during the patching process. None of the older files, ones that weren't touched during the patching, have to be "repaired". Strange isn't it?

Now I know that the patcher works much like Steam in that it downloads the changed files and modifies the package container and changes the new files out for the old and rebuilds the package which saves on having to download the whole file again already containing the new and updated files along with the older ones.

This however does not make sense when the patcher can't make the package match the online file's checksum and then it winds up having to download the entire file anyway.

Now MWO is one of the few games I keep on my fairly small OS SSD. I have run checks and all seems well and I don't have any issues with OS files (or other programs) getting corrupted during an update or install or anything only MWO's Patcher seems to be having this problem.

Whatever the issue is it doesn't seem the patcher is capable of recreating an exact match with the whole files stored on the servers.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Could be a bad connection. I have not had an issue with patcher in a year or so.

#3 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

I havent had an issue for over a year and I just got the bad install base error....

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

I had an endless 'validating installation' screen after this patch.

I terminated it after an hour, ran the repair tool, and the game now seems to work.

Unfortunately, the time I had to play the game had elapsed, so no CBills for me.

#5 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

Umm, because MW:O is essentially still a Beta product.

#6 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

I got the same message after patching.

Ignored it, clicked "no", and carried on as normal - several matches later can't say I noticed any (new) issues. :P

#7 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

No idea. They did make some updates to the patcher ... mine reported a similar issue to the OP but running the fix tool after the patch seemed to work. The patch was 1.3GB but the fixed files were only about 270Mb so it did not download everything again.

--- fix summary ---

MISMATCHED FILES:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Engine\Shaders.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Engine/Shaders.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\CausticValley_ig.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/CausticValley_ig.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\heromechs.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/heromechs.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Industrial_ig.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/Industrial_ig.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Lava_ig.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/Lava_ig.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Localized\French.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/Localized/French.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Music.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/Music.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\pcgamer.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/pcgamer.pak
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\specialmechs.pak-->http://patcher.mwomercs.com/patch/Production/live/Game/specialmechs.pak

FOUND LOCAL FILES FOR REMOVAL!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\omicron.log
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\systemoverride.cfg
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\apr2007_xinput_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\aug2009_d3dcompiler_42_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\aug2009_d3dx9_42_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\dsetup.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\dsetup32.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\dxsetup.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\dxupdate.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\feb2010_x3daudio_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\jun2010_d3dcompiler_43_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\jun2010_d3dcsx_43_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\jun2010_d3dx9_43_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\jun2010_xact_x86.cab
C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\directx9.0c\jun2010_xaudio_x86.cab

With the current options, clicking 'Fix' below will:
-Resolve any mismatched (invalid) files.
-Remove unneeded local files (if any were found).
-Clean shaders
-Clean local cache of FE data (fresh data will download the next time the game is run).

Fixing!!!

Fixing mismatched files.
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Engine\Shaders.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\CausticValley_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\heromechs.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Industrial_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Lava_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Localized\French.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Music.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\pcgamer.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\specialmechs.pak
-Fixed!
Cleaning unneeded files.
-Cleaned!
Cleaning FE textures.
-Cleaned!
Cleaning shaders.
-Cleaned!
Done!

#8 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

I had to run the repair tool today, but this is the first patch that's needed it.. Meh....

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 16 June 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Umm, because MW:O is essentially still a Beta product.

and will be until they shut down the last server.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 June 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#10 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostBigJim, on 16 June 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

I got the same message after patching.

Ignored it, clicked "no", and carried on as normal - several matches later can't say I noticed any (new) issues. :P

To be fair I did the same thing but was getting ready to eat dinner so I didn't launch any matches but I went ahead and ran it after I exited just to be safe.

View PostMawai, on 16 June 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

No idea. They did make some updates to the patcher ... mine reported a similar issue to the OP but running the fix tool after the patch seemed to work. The patch was 1.3GB but the fixed files were only about 270Mb so it did not download everything again.
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Engine\Shaders.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\CausticValley_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\heromechs.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Industrial_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Lava_ig.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Localized\French.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\Music.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\pcgamer.pak
Downloading file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Game\specialmechs.pak

Those are the EXACT files my repair tool downloaded as well which makes this very interesting.

View Postcdlord, on 16 June 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I had to run the repair tool today, but this is the first patch that's needed it.. Meh....

Yeah thing is though the last couple patches I noticed it downloading the "fixed" files in the patcher itself after it had finalized the patches. This patch though it didn't automatically do that and popped up with the warning as was mentioned earlier so you might not have even noticed it on the last ones especially if you have a very fast internet connection because it doesn't have to repackage the files so it goes much quicker.

Edited by mariomanz28, 16 June 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#11 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

They did say something in April about running the repair tool and if you didn't do it then you would have to run it eventually.

I didn't run it in April when notified and had to run it tonight. My friend who ran it last month hasn't had to run it tonight.

Something about the data/patching structure etc. to make it and the repair tool more reliable. You shouldn't have to run it again hopefully.

http://mwomercs.com/...ir-tool-update/

Could be that the requirement to run the repair tool was actually later than planned?

Edited by Kyocera, 16 June 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#12 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostKyocera, on 16 June 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

They did say something in April about running the repair tool and if you didn't do it then you would have to run it eventually.

I didn't run it in April when notified and had to run it tonight. My friend who ran it last month hasn't had to run it tonight.

Something about the data/patching structure etc. to make it and the repair tool more reliable. You shouldn't have to run it again hopefully.

http://mwomercs.com/...ir-tool-update/

Could be that the requirement to run the repair tool was actually later than planned?

I actually ran the repair tool the night I saw that announcement to be ready.

#13 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Fair do I'm not sure then. Perhaps it's still related to the previous changes and still ongoing although to be fair, considering the patch size and taking away the download time, the whole process was pretty quick.

So the new data format is definitely a positive change at least. I remember small patches taking an absolute age to patch in once they were downloaded!

#14 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

This is first time I've had a problem and had to repair. In hindsight, I got a "server connection lost, continue?" message and ignored it b/c the patch looked to still be running fine. That's probably why I had to repair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users