Atlas Roles

2 replies to this topic

#1 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Looking at the current spread of quirks that PGI is putting out, it seems like the Atlai are moving towards some specific roles. Here is a list of all Atlai, and where I believe PGI is (or should be) taking them.

AS7-D
The Spearhead

This seems interesting to me, because despite having a lot of structure, it tends to lose it's weapons to critical hits, unable to defend itself in the later stages of it's life. Among organized teams, this could be the Atlas which acts as the spearhead to an assault.

People have been talking about how this one needs less structure and more armour quirks, but really let's consider the effect a high structure count can have:

- Once armour is stripped, it continues to stay standing in the middle of a brawl.
- Relies on team to deal damage. The AS7-D just opens up the battle and distracts.

If the rate at which weapons get crit is still too high, then one solution would be to turn some of that CT structure into armour so that the Atlas can keep it's two CT energy hardpoints later into the battle, allowing it to zombie iconically with green lasers and no arms.

Suggestion: Replace CT +structure with CT +armour for less frustrating zombie style.

AS7-D-DC
The ECM Platform

This Atlas will always see use in games, being the only Assault mech in the game with ECM at present. If we want to reinforce it's use as a command mech, I would buff it's short and medium range infotech so it quickly scan and call targets in a brawl.

AS7-K
The Sniper(?)
Suggested role switch: Ranged Face Tank

Long range weapons platform (with long range scan); stock comes with gauss, 2xERLL and LRMs. It looks like PGI wants to reinforce the stock loadout with faster scans at long range. There is a common opinion among many players that a long-range Atlas is a waste of 100 tons, and that King Crab makes for a much better long-range platform.

I propose that if PGI wants to keep this flavour that they also give it quirks to help it in other areas. Specifically, take back the long range scan buff and give it a small ballistic/energy range boost. Then, reduce it's acceleration and give it a big armour boost that half-way matches the AS7-D's structure quirks. This will turn it into a face-tanking sniper, OR a brawly alternative to the AS7-D that can keep is weapons running later into a fight.

Suggestion: Add major +armour boost, +weapon range (LL, ERLL, gauss), -acceleration, reduce current infotech (maybe?)

AS7-RS
Mixed Brawler w/+Reverse

Probably the most mixed Atlas in terms of stock loadout, this one doesn't look to have any particular focus. I say this mech should get a *bit* of armour to push it onto the tankier half of the Atlai as a hard-shell brawler.

Suggestion: Add +armour

AS7-S
Close Range Boomstick

Probably the most popular Atlas right now, this mech runs hot but packs a massive alpha. If it needs any help in terms of balance, this might be a good place for a heat dissipation buff or just let it back out of combat faster to cool down. I've heard from more prominent Atlas players that this one has pretty much the best hardpoints.

Suggestion: Add +heat dissipation or +reverse acceleration

AS7-BH
Mobile Brawler

Historically, this has been a bit of a LOL mech, but if it's structure quirks were turned to armour, it might actually see some use.

Suggestion: Replace +structure with +armour OR just add +armour

This is my take on the current Atlas roster as we venture towards role warfare. Do you guys agree or disagree? Please feel free to post how you think the Atlai should be treated throughout PGI's rebalance of the game.

Edited by Hornsby, 13 September 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#2 TheDissolver

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Agreed on each, and as a Founder's Atlas owner I want the Atlas to be a competitive 'mech again, but I've got to say that even with amazing tweaks it's going to be hard to get me to run anything other than the -S or -DC for "role warefare" (much less PUGing.)

As a brawler, the Atlas can tank and deal damage if you know what you're doing, but it will never be as effective at poking/trading as the meta-of-the-month. A sniper Atlas just doesn't make sense. A DC as assault lance commander is great, *if* PGI makes ECM into something valuable...

If structure/armour/weapon buffs are the limit of the changes, though, then the quirked -S is the best we can hope to get. Resetting everything from a 'quirk' standpoint can never change the fact that this 'mech is just not well-suited to the kinds of strategies/builds that win the maps/gametypes we have.

The only thing that will make the Atlas truly relevant is to re-shape the game in such a way that a jack-of-all-trades tank/brawler Assault can compete on a level playing field with meta-viable 'mechs like the Stalker.

[Don't wanna troll, but:
*its
*Atlases, or if you must use grammar from a classical language, Atlantes.]

#3 ElricVonRabenfels

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Every single kind of Atlas should receive more and heavy armour + structure quirks, but especially armour.

Make it that iconic unkillable, towering machine it should be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users