Do You Think Marauder Hero Will Make C-Bills

25 replies to this topic

#1 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:42 AM

I am looking to the layout of that thing with 7 Energy and 1 Ballistic being 6 energy on the arms, it seems to me that it is going to be stripped quite fast.

So I can't decide, if we don't care the looks, is it a good investment or not.

With that low swung arms, you need the expose yourself a lot and it is going to be stripped quite often, only thing that will let hill humping is the torso ballistic, which be probably a Gauss but I place a Gauss on it and I try to use 7 Energy point it is probably going to be too hot without quirks (none of the lately released mechs get any).

It is in the same tonnage of Timbi with the same style of arms but you can load some armament in the torso so you can do something if you are stripped.

So, ok Marauder looks awesome but will the Hero worth the investment?

#2 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:52 AM

I can only recommend you look at smurfys and play with the orion K a bit.

I run 4 LPL on that, pretty much piece of cake. But you need an XL for that. So if you go big ballistic, you will only have Meds in the arms. AC20 with 6ML sounds good, to be true, plus JJs should make a fine brawler. Gauss and stuff with an XL screems side core me! but can work depending on hitboxes.

ON1-K
will be hot, but can jump. (gauss ammo for ML and JJ)

Edited by 627, 18 September 2015 - 01:54 AM.

#3 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:54 AM

Gauss for range with JJ to move around & medium pulses for close range.

#4 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:57 AM

Really depends on the pilot.

I've seen great pilots absolutely wreck it in low slung weapon mechs.

#5 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:59 AM

It will be a money printing machine, or a waste of money. Solely depending on you.

#6 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

View Postkesmai, on 18 September 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

It will be a money printing machine, or a waste of money. Solely depending on you.

I have my money printing machine, Sparky, mobile, jump jets, good hitboxes.

What I am concerned with BH, it will not be that mobile, not armored enough to soaked it up and that low swing arms.

It would be nice if it would be on smurfy before we pay that 40 bucks.

I am thinking about AC/20 and 7 small lasers, will be too range limited but with AC20 and medium pulse will be too hot and I think it that arms can't survive the face up time of the medium lasers....

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:39 AM

Arms can't survive the face time? Concerns about being "stripped"? Nobody is going to be shooting at Marauders arms. That'd just be stupid.

RT or just CT, depending on hitboxes. More weapons in the torso wouldn't be a good thing, unless they were mounter higher, because at least on the arms you've got arm articulation to allow faster and more precise aiming (unless you're an armlock noob, in which case the rest is the least of your problems)

But yeah, you can play with it on smurfies, basically. Just use the Orion.

#8 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:29 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 September 2015 - 02:39 AM, said:

Arms can't survive the face time? Concerns about being "stripped"? Nobody is going to be shooting at Marauders arms. That'd just be stupid.

RT or just CT, depending on hitboxes. More weapons in the torso wouldn't be a good thing, unless they were mounter higher, because at least on the arms you've got arm articulation to allow faster and more precise aiming (unless you're an armlock noob, in which case the rest is the least of your problems)

But yeah, you can play with it on smurfies, basically. Just use the Orion.

It would be nice if it has some hard point on STs, I prefer to stage the games, first little bit hill humping then full out brawl a la Ebon Jaguar....

And don't tell me you don't shoot the arms when you see a King Crab, this thing is not so different.

Edited by speleomaniac, 18 September 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#9 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,476 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:32 AM

I think it's either going to be assymetric AC20+4MPL+STD with full shield side, or Gauss+lasers with XL. Sounds like it should do pretty well.

One possible build will be: XL300, Gauss(3Tons of ammo), 3LL, 1MPL, 3JJ, 15DHS. Not bad.

Or assymetric poptart: std290, endo+ferro, Gauss+3T, 2PPC, 1Mlas, 4JJ, 11DHS.

Edited by Sjorpha, 18 September 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#10 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:44 AM

View Postspeleomaniac, on 18 September 2015 - 03:29 AM, said:

And don't tell me you don't shoot the arms when you see a King Crab, this thing is not so different.

I cannot for the life of me remember the last time I lost an arm before an ST in a crab. And I pop them open and raise them around my torso as shields.

It's not worth purposely shooting an arm off. Take the torso and you kill that torso weapon, and the arm, and if he's an XL, he's dead.

Odds are you'd probably crit a nice cache of ammo too.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

I always read low slung arms... but looking at the timber, the crab and the ebon jag, all mechs do fine with it. So why should the mad get it worse?

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:22 AM

View PostKarmen Baric, on 18 September 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

Gauss for range with JJ to move around & medium pulses for close range.

70 kph Hvy..... Gauss is low alpha for range, and MPL awfully limited for that speed.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:38 AM

It will earn C-Bills, though how much is limited by ones ability to pilot the thing. After all, no one knows the quirk yet. For all we know, it might get 25% cooldown on the Gauss and 20% range to Medium Lasers.

#14 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

Single Gauss is pretty useless in MWO due to the charge phase adding to the difficulty and the recycle. Those who like it are impressed with the illusion it is giving them higher DPS, but it's actually the lowest DPS per ton weapon in Battle Tech, that's why you don't add a charge-up phase to it. You just adjust the recycle to balance it. The charge-up is from Quake or Duke Nukem styled games where the player character can only carry/fire one weapon at a time. Plus do you really want a bomb in your ST that sticks up above the ridges? PGI just looks at what 2xGauss can do and balanced for 2xGauss.

The low slung arms also means they won't take many stray shots, good for arms, bad for torsos.

#15 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

absolutely never. I've never shot an arm off a king crab, that's an absurdly poor decision.

The side torso has roughly the same armour and structure on a crab, is a HUGE target (basically impossible to miss, way easier to hit than the arms from any angle) and when you destroy the ST, you kill bass with XL's, destroy the torso weapons. AND take the arm off with the side torso.

Targeting the arm on a king crab is a complete waste of time.

The ONLY time an arm is an even remotely good target is on a squishy mech where 90%+ of his offensive ability is in that ONE arm, and even then the ST is a better target.if available. Basically, 2AC5 dragons and wolverines, YLW and CN9-AH's ac20's. These mechs ST's are small, they're fast and twisty, but they struggle to protect single fragile arms holding essentially all their firepower.

Assaults? There are no assaults where you should ever target arms.

#16 speleomaniac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 September 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

absolutely never. I've never shot an arm off a king crab, that's an absurdly poor decision.

The side torso has roughly the same armour and structure on a crab, is a HUGE target (basically impossible to miss, way easier to hit than the arms from any angle) and when you destroy the ST, you kill bass with XL's, destroy the torso weapons. AND take the arm off with the side torso.

Targeting the arm on a king crab is a complete waste of time.

The ONLY time an arm is an even remotely good target is on a squishy mech where 90%+ of his offensive ability is in that ONE arm, and even then the ST is a better target.if available. Basically, 2AC5 dragons and wolverines, YLW and CN9-AH's ac20's. These mechs ST's are small, they're fast and twisty, but they struggle to protect single fragile arms holding essentially all their firepower.

Assaults? There are no assaults where you should ever target arms.

Most of King Crabs running around with 4xAC5s or UAC5s, with the corner peaking in this game, before it sees any part of me, I see its arms. Shoot its arms retreat before it can scratch me.

If they have 4 AC5 in the arms, they can't have that heavy punch in the torsos, so they can run around with their 3MLs. A 100 ton mech with 3 ML is not a priority target for me.

#17 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:47 AM

No, play an Orion and figure out what you are in for in the MAD hero.

The c-bill bonus variant might... depends on RT mounts

#18 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 September 2015 - 04:22 AM, said:

70 kph Hvy..... Gauss is low alpha for range, and MPL awfully limited for that speed.
Yup.

]Gauss is only worth using in a gauss + erll/lpl/ppc configuration. A single gauss at long range leads to ineffective contribution at long range (plinking with one gauss? If that's your bag, do it in a fast medium!) and is very challenging to use really effectively in the ranges you want to be at to use a buttload of mpl's.

If your mounting a lot of shorter range lasers, bring an ac10 or 20. Don't peek at long range, wait, then push in close and wreck face.

Edited by Wintersdark, 18 September 2015 - 06:00 AM.

#19 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

I don't shoot at the king crab arms because they are quirked with +17 armor.The side torsos however have unquirked armor divided front and rear and will disable more of the KC's weapon payload including the side torso hardpoints and the arm.

King Crab arms are likely to be 68+ 17 quirked armor = 85 total.
King Crab side torso is likley to be 84 - 14 rear = 70 total front armor.

Accounting for higher internal structure values of side torsos it ends up being about the same volume of firepower to take an arm off as it would take to core a side torso AND take the arm out.Added bonus if the KC has an XL because now it's dead.

P.S. my likely Bounty hunter loadout will be
300 std engine
Endo Steel
3 jump jets
17 DHS
AC/20
3 tons AC20 ammo
4 medium lasers

Since the lower slung arms are better suited to a brawler combat style I opted to go with a brawler optimized build.Hard hitting AC20 medium lasers and loads of heatsinks to allow for staying power.This is an in your face endurance brawler with around 30 seconds of alphas.If you are careful to engage targets that have already burdened themselves with heat you should handily defeat them.

#20 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

If it has decent quirks for it, my Bounty Hunter is running STD295, uac5, and 7 medpulse, 18 DHS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users