20 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm sorry but this happens to often either my team is getting stomped or stomping the other team and its just no fun. This is roughly 75% of my matches %20 percent goes 1 of 1 till about the half way point and then one team gets annihilated and %5 are actual brawls right up until the end.

It seems that one team/both is passive or full of long range "peek-a-boo" types and it just stalemates until someone screws up and then...well that team gets destroyed.

I can't understand why the devs keep saying that the MM is fine and dandy for pug drops, this is not fine this is very very bad actually to whom it may concern I'm as of writing this at the higher end of tier 3 players if that's of relevance.

So my question is, how often does this happen do you and what are the circumstances and how does this affect your mwo experience?

O7

#2 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

Such is the solo queue.

If your looking for a more teamwork orientated experience, solo queue is the wrong place to be.

#3 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

It happens.
Pug life.

#4 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:36 PM

more now than under the old system

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostB8hunter, on 22 September 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

I'm sorry but this happens to often either my team is getting stomped or stomping the other team and its just no fun. This is roughly 75% of my matches %20 percent goes 1 of 1 till about the half way point and then one team gets annihilated and %5 are actual brawls right up until the end.

It seems that one team/both is passive or full of long range "peek-a-boo" types and it just stalemates until someone screws up and then...well that team gets destroyed.

I can't understand why the devs keep saying that the MM is fine and dandy for pug drops, this is not fine this is very very bad actually to whom it may concern I'm as of writing this at the higher end of tier 3 players if that's of relevance.

So my question is, how often does this happen do you and what are the circumstances and how does this affect your mwo experience?

O7

Screenshots pls.

#6 Mr Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 141 posts
  • LocationIn a Shadowhawk

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:11 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 22 September 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Such is the solo queue.

If your looking for a more teamwork orientated experience, solo queue is the wrong place to be.

Its not really about teamwork or no teamwork i see plenty of teamwork plenty of people using voip and such my point is that in despite of that fact this happens way to often.

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:13 AM

First and last question is it a "stomp" or is 12-0/1/2/3 only the outcome

#8 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

MWO is a complex game with so many variables its impossible to hit predictable balance or the outcome of a game. Not only loadouts, mechs, hardpoints, pilot skills and intentions, but also something like spawn combinations, tactics etc.

All this means is a team will occasionally be biased to obliterate the other.

This is not a FPS. There are simply way too many factors and "skill matching" constitutes a very tiny part of this infinitely complex equation.

People seem to be perplexed about this and not understand this fundamental dynamic.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 23 September 2015 - 05:06 AM.

#9 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:11 AM

With the MM the way it is now, You cannot afford mistakes. Before with random players of varying skill levels mistkes where..ok...getting caught alone? that light driver might be a complete {encumber} and you kill him...Do that in a tier 3 game? you get eaten alive by a wolfpack of artic cheetas. I am DEATHLY afraid of being alone now because you WILL get ganked and you WILL die. Mistakes or popping around the wrong corner are heavily heavily punished now. so if your team splits too much well...

GG, 0-12, Was close.

You have to deathball. You have to deathball cohesively as a unit and react to changing situations on the map. Get alone, or get separated and run into the main body, your small group gets dead, then the enemy death ball wipes out your large group.

Assaults too passive/using in effective builds to deal with big gun enemy assaults?

GG, was close.

Nobody fending off the swarms of cheetas allowing them to wipe your big mechs?

GG was close, enjoy getting swarmed by fresh lights late game when you are heavily damaged.

Your ecm lights running selfish "B!tch builds" and er large laser sniping while your team gets hozed by LRMS?

GG, was close.

Pretty much the same gameplay as before, but now when the enemy team sees the lone dire whale in the corner expect to get a light or two up your rear to quickly remove you from the game. Ive even gotten in the habit of randomly looking around behind me when im gauss sniping in my fatties now, I almost expect to get ninjad by a light, and always carry a UAV to deal with the inevitable circle dance/get lrms/light mech support on my would-be assasin. Do not straggle, do not break off into smaller groups to "flank" unless you are GONNA FREAKING FLANK AND MAKE GOOD ON IT or your team WILL fail.

#10 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:16 AM

And for gods sake when you get a good assault push going SUPPORT IT. I had a game where 2 maulers just put thier mechs into gear and waded in balls deep to the enemy team that had split up. By the end of the match, half thier mechs where gone, I was missing most all my frontal armor and had taken critcal hits to half my weapons but we wiped the enemy team off the map. our entire lance did around 500+ damage a piece. It was the most fun running gunfight ive ever had in the match, and nearly every target we Lit up got focus fired by me, the 2 maulers and a wall of LRM support that was running RIGHT behind us. beautiful push.

#11 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:16 AM

Since PSR rolled out, I've found that I've been experiencing less stomps. I'm really liking it.

That being said, stomps are heavily dependent on your team play rather than your skill level. The MM can adequately match two teams of equal skill, but if Blue Team can't/won't work together as an actual team, and Red Team does, then Red Team will ROFLStomp Blue Team. That's not the MM's or PGI's fault; that's Blue Team's fault.

A team is only as strong as its pilots willingness to cooperate. Lose a couple pilots and you can still come back and win with coordination. Have a dysfunctional team that scatters out or won't hold the line, and there's nothing at all that you can do.

#12 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 22 September 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

Screenshots pls.

^^This

Only way to really tell if it was really a stomp. If the majority of your team was above 150 match, just means they outplayed your team. If 6-8 on your team get below 100 match, steering wheel underhive.

#13 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostB8hunter, on 22 September 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

O7

Tier 3 is your problem. I will re-state something I posted in another thread elsewhere based on my humble journey that started in August when I began playing (~500 - 600 games in the last month maybe? Perhaps less. I have no idea.) after a seven month hiatus and it tiered me at 4.5 because of that... These are my own observations but given where I was in Elo over a year ago (at least 10k - 12k games under the belt since June of 2012), I've had plenty of time to see how the population is structured...

Tier 1: God mode metamechs + tenacious thirst for blood and the random damage cattle (who will be milked for their blood)
Tier 2: Skill, meta and some fun shuffled in
Tier 3: Scared rock hiding random mashers--light kick, light kick, light kick, heavy punch, medium, heavy, light
Tier 4: Unfettered noobs with feathers, boas and pogo sticks
Tier 5: Unicorns, faeries and candy trees plus a LRM 10, AC 2 and flamers thrown into the 'mech for lols

That was before the PSR was made visible. Tier 1 is actually broader than we thought so my statement on that tier will be revised. But Tier 3... is the worst of all to be in.

Think about it. You start at Tier 4.5--and don't know what to expect. You run into battle like a warrior ready to draw blood. If you reach Tier 5, you just don't care (or are too oblivious to know better)--but if you hit Tier 3... well, now you're seasoned. Many of the players in Tier 3 aren't great... but they know what to be scared of. And since they haven't conquered their fears yet... they hide and pray. Some buck the system and are headed to Tier 1 and 2 - the brave, fearless types who don't mind taking damage on their road collect souls... But your typical Tier 3 player is driven by fear not courage.

Tier 3 was the worst place in my journey so far. I did not like it at all.

The most fun I had was in Tier 4, believe it or not. I did not see Tier 5 (I don't think). I can only imagine it is wonderful and would be a lot of fun to play in due to nobody caring and everyone just trying to have fun (that's not so bad).

Edited by Mister Blastman, 23 September 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#14 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 22 September 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Such is the solo queue.

Group is the wrong place to be as well... I have more unbalanced games in group queue than in solo queue.

You just need to play *YOUR* game in the solo queue. Have your own objectives and your own tactics based on what you expect both the enemy and your team-mates to do and play. That also means you need to choose mechs that are not going to be reliant on your team-mates to be effective (i.e. not slow, directed weapons, good hardpoints and movement)

Edited by nehebkau, 23 September 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#15 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,956 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:56 AM

Depends alot on the time of day.

There is a distinct group of people that play like complete airheads always at the same span of time, every single day.

Soon as it gets late night, all the fun games start happening, people backing eachother up, guy calls for help ppl come, they stay together more, nascar less.

IT drives me crazy, because its also bracketed all through the day.
Its like sombody flips a switch from OMFGDERPWarrior to Patience&TacticsWarrior Online.

#16 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

You will always see 0-12 games. It doesn't matter if there's a million people in queue, or if there's a super hyper accurate rating system that pairs you up to your 11 other doppelgangers, you’ll have 0-12 games.

The issue arises when you have a group of people with varying playstyles(team orientated) that don’t mesh. Each pilot makes up 8.3% of their team. Factors that ratings/matchmaker don’t really take into consideration:
  • Supporting team mates – such as traveling in pairs, stopping to offer fire support to help someone get out of a bad situation, covering them with ECM to stop LRM fire.
  • Using VOIP/Chat in effective ways (communication)
  • Pressing R
  • Situational Awareness
  • Heat Management (nice alpha, but what are you doin shut down 50% of the time?)
  • Distinction between formations (you all clustered around in a ball doing the harlem shake, or are you spread along nicely so everyone can focus fire?)
  • How long it takes you to shoot down UAV’s
  • List goes on…
Basically, the match score is only grading you on how well of a pilot you are, and not how well of a team player you are (READ: it’s ASSUMING that you’re already a team player). If you get a bunch of people that aren’t team players, you get crappy games.

Matchmakers and ratings help, but they aren't the solution

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 September 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#17 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:14 AM

There is nothing wrong with 12-0 games, mechwarrior online is inherently a snowball game. The moment a few mechs die on one side, you start the snowball mechanic. Watch the top teams play each other, it is exactly the same thing, once a team gains the advantage, the game will snowball.

It takes someone on one team to actually be much higher skilled than the other team to actually potentially turn a snowball around.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 23 September 2015 - 08:16 AM.

#18 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:15 AM

Normal game atm. Lost 12 games in a row 0:12...Nothing new.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostB8hunter, on 23 September 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

Its not really about teamwork or no teamwork i see plenty of teamwork plenty of people using voip and such my point is that in despite of that fact this happens way to often.

It happens cause one team actually teams up better than the other. And once they capture the the numbers advantage it is exploited. And that is how fighting as a team works best. So when It happens to me I accept we were the inferior team when we do it to the other team, everyone comes home a winner.

Balanced.

#20 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 23 September 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Normal game atm. Lost 12 games in a row 0:12...Nothing new.

I don't believe this without proof. Literally only a live stream would convince me. There's no way you got a 12 game 12:0 streak. Literally no way. That would be a statistical extreme.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users