So Skill Rating...a Moan

16 replies to this topic

#1 moq

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

So my last match my skill rating went down . . .
even though I had a great game playing the role I was supposed too, that of support . both with my ecm and my ams ... i even managed to stop an attack on the group of assaults I was supporting from a couple of light mechs . . . And managed to hold off a few forays from mediums. I spotted well and generally supported the effort of my team . . . but saw f.u.c..k all for my efforts in the way of cbills or xp and my skill rating went down . . .

So why the f-u-c-k should I even bother playing as a team member ... what role ...other than as annoying wasps do lights have in this game?

#2 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:15 AM

Do lots of damage or you aren't 'skilled'.

#3 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:29 AM

They need to take into account the "Pauls Battle Value" of a mech when calculating score.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

I run ECM on exactly one 'Mech (SDR-5D), and I only run that 'Mech until I get its 2x bonus for that day. All of my lights are weapons, armor, and speed. Support yes ... by helping to kill everything I see.

Damage, component destruction, kills, solo kills, savior kills, kills most damage, assists, spotting, staying with your lance to get those "Lance in Formation" (or whatever they're called) bonuses.

I usually don't pay attention to my exact bonuses, but my last handful of matches I was getting 20+ Protected Light or Protected Medium bonuses plus 10+ Spotting and lots of Lance in Formation bonuses too.

#5 Trainee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:32 AM

Why are people so worried what their tier is? Who gives a crap. Just go out, kill mechs, and have fun. Only thing you should be complaining about is the cbill rewards.

#6 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

I wish people were rewarded A LOT MORE for showing me where the enemy is. It makes it a lot easier for me to figure out who to go kill first. Sorry the game doesn't cater to the scouting play as much as it should.

Edit: To be fair the only way I can see them making scouting profitable is to give light mechs like the kit fox scouting quirks which literally increase your match score for spotting/narcing and such. The problem with this is it could be easily abused in tournaments.

Edited by Tool Box, 24 September 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#7 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

View Postmoq, on 24 September 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Did you win or lose?

PSR is heavily affected by your win/loss ratio. Despite how it was described when it was first announced, it's still very much a variation of the Elo system.

You will go down in PSR on most losses, unless you get a pretty good match score. And will go up in PSR unless you get a pretty bad score.

Edited by Death Proof, 24 September 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#8 Valdherre Tor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostTool Box, on 24 September 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

I wish people were rewarded A LOT MORE for showing me where the enemy is. It makes it a lot easier for me to figure out who to go kill first. Sorry the game doesn't cater to the scouting play as much as it should.

Edit: To be fair the only way I can see them making scouting profitable is to give light mechs like the kit fox scouting quirks which literally increase your match score for spotting/narcing and such. The problem with this is it could be easily abused in tournaments.

Could you imagine half the team showing up with a scout mech? Bring your lube when they do.

#9 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

Not enough Players at any one time for tiers to matter. I still drop against tier ones and fives.

Tiers basically a joke to keep stupid people occupied.

#10 moq

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:58 AM

I don't care about my tier . . . machismo , not my thing .
But I do rile at being told that my "skill" level went down even though I had a great match .... And for filled a role which I'm told by TPB is a valued and necessary one .

Why not be honest and call it " how much you managed to f-u-c-k up the other team" level .

#11 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostDeath Proof, on 24 September 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Did you win or lose?

PSR is heavily affected by your win/loss ratio. Despite how it was described when it was first announced, it's still very much a variation of the Elo system.

You will go down in PSR on most losses, unless you get a pretty good match score. And will go up in PSR unless you get a pretty bad score.

I don't care what my tier is (tier 4) but it bugs me that despite doing 500 damage, 3 kills, lots of other bonuses, in a light mech last night (Badders for the win!), our team lost, and I only stay the same. Heck I had a loss with 400 damage and 1 kill and I went down because we lost.

#12 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostLorian Sunrider, on 24 September 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

I don't care what my tier is (tier 4) but it bugs me that despite doing 500 damage, 3 kills, lots of other bonuses, in a light mech last night (Badders for the win!), our team lost, and I only stay the same. Heck I had a loss with 400 damage and 1 kill and I went down because we lost.

Yep. Wining is still the main criteria for improving your PSR (just like with the older Elo system). Your performance doesn't really matter as much as they initially suggested. Basically, your PSR will go up if you win or down if lose, unless you do exceptionally bad or good — In which case, it may stay the same on a win or loss, respectively.

#13 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostTool Box, on 24 September 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Yes! Scouts need to eat too. I say scouts should be credited a percentage (say 5%) of any damage done to a target they are spotting (either through targeting, narc or UAV) as long as they themselves do not shoot at that target.

#14 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:48 AM

The scoring system only rewards those who bring shotguns, streaks, lurms, and wave lasers around like an epileptic Jedi.

#15 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

We need to get the word out in order to correct people's understanding and help prevent confusion.

Despite the name, PSR is not a skill rating. It's more of an experience counter. Because of the lopsided way that it is computed, your rating will mostly go up over time. Paul even said that it will take on average about 2500 games to reach Tier 1.

Now of course better players will reach Tier 1 faster, but from what we've been told and have figure out it looks like just about everyone can eventually reach Tier 1.

Ergo, it isn't a skill rating. It's an experience rating.

Understanding that will prevent some of the confusion that people are experiencing.

#16 Deathpactt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

View Postmoq, on 24 September 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

even though I had a great game playing the role I was supposed too, that of support . both with my ecm and my ams ... i even managed to stop an attack on the group of assaults I was supporting from a couple of light mechs . . . And managed to hold off a few forays from mediums. I spotted well and generally supported the effort of my team . . . but saw f.u.c..k all for my efforts in the way of cbills or xp and my skill rating went down . . .

So why the f-u-c-k should I even bother playing as a team member ... what role ...other than as annoying wasps do lights have in this game?

I am not saying you are wrong, actualy I agree with you but I think people in general are giving to much of a damn to tiers. We should play the game our way, like we enjoy.

Edited by Deathpactt, 24 September 2015 - 12:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users