9 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

At one time an idea for a Foreslt Fire Map was kicked around. Here are my thoughts on this potential map.

Running from the western side of the map is a large flat horse shoe ridge that takes up about two thirds of the map as it moves to the east. In the south is a river, and trees to the north. Mechs from one side would have to cross the river. The southern side of the ridge is engulfed in flames with some of the fires starting to cross over to the top of the ridges plateau. Some of the area to the east has been charred, leaving a desolate but still hot landscape. An old forestry camp is on the top of the ridge on the western side and is being threatened by the flames. Most of the trees are large, with few distructable trees (about a quarter of the number found on Forest Colony), leaving good clean zones of weapons fire, but still adding to the effect of the map.

#2 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

It is nice idea but it'd be extremely heavy for your hardware, therefore it is impossible.

#3 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostVetal, on 01 October 2015 - 11:07 AM, said:

It is nice idea but it'd be extremely heavy for your hardware, therefore it is impossible.

So how is this impossible. How is this too much for my Hardware. Please explain. The map idea is fairly simple and is based on a simple terrain pattern, and we have fairly complex maps.

A forest fire map was suggested a long time ago, and this subject or map concept has been posted here on the forums. Along with several other maps. All I have done is give one possible....solid mental conceptual idea...for said map.

The only impossibility in it is not to try.

#4 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

A quite original idea. It needs more terrain features but i like the concept. Come to think of it....There has been some threads with map making contest here.
How about just forgeting the contest part and just go with a map making thread? You submit your basic idea for a map with maybe a small drawing of it in MS Paint or whatever so it doesn't have to be explained in text.

Maybe we could even figure out how to make a CW map that's worth playing?
And before some naysayer says The quality will be too low and player submited maps will be full of exploits i'll just say that this is just some basic drawings.
That is all.....just the general shape of the map. That is all.

#5 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:26 AM

Thank you Spleenslitta, I like your idea and I will start to make some kind of drawing for it. I may just use an old program I have for the initial idea and do a rough concept map using Campaign Cartographer. It would be quick, down and dirty, but it would get the point across in a more visual context.

#6 Desenova

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 03 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

That is a cool idea and another heat map wouldn't be bad at all, but I would also like to throw in the idea of a heavy monsoon jungle map. The water effects on cockpit glass isn't used enough in this game.

#7 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostKalimaster, on 02 October 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

So how is this impossible. How is this too much for my Hardware. Please explain. The map idea is fairly simple and is based on a simple terrain pattern, and we have fairly complex maps.

A forest fire map was suggested a long time ago, and this subject or map concept has been posted here on the forums. Along with several other maps. All I have done is give one possible....solid mental conceptual idea...for said map.

The only impossibility in it is not to try.

Too many particles and dynamic spread and increasing of it causes huge tension on gpu and cpu. It causes lagging and hanging. The amount of particles in forest will be much more than in river city and can't be even compared with the particles from mechs. It'd be a lot of fire. Just remember the episode of burning fields in farcry3. You need more explanation? The idea of map is interesting, i don't argue, and if developers found solution it'd be great.

Edited by Vetal, 03 October 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#8 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

Actually, a great idea.. Forest fire.. cool.

Also, I just realised, we don't really have a single "simple" forest map..

We have forrest colony, but that's not a real forrest, its more of an island, and not so much forest oriented.

The Viridian Bog map is also "natrualistic", but on that map the accent is on an alien forest, and on the "bog" itself..

I could totaly see a map that is "all forest"... like deep forest, huge wide trees everywhere, higher than many mechs stacked ontop eachother..

Kinda like the forrest shown in the opening cinematic of MW4 (The mechs approaching to the royal palace on Kentares IV)

We could set parts of that forrest on fire :P

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 October 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Actually, a great idea.. Forest fire.. cool.

Also, I just realised, we don't really have a single "simple" forest map..

We have forrest colony, but that's not a real forrest, its more of an island, and not so much forest oriented.

The Viridian Bog map is also "natrualistic", but on that map the accent is on an alien forest, and on the "bog" itself..

I could totaly see a map that is "all forest"... like deep forest, huge wide trees everywhere, higher than many mechs stacked ontop eachother..

Kinda like the forrest shown in the opening cinematic of MW4 (The mechs approaching to the royal palace on Kentares IV)

We could set parts of that forrest on fire :P

Lets add to that, part of the forest hidden behind another tree line. With it being behind a treeline ridge the particles are not seen unless/until one passes through the outlying cover. If one side reaches it quick enough they have a chance to set it ablaze, forcing the other side to detour around it since only the fastest mechs could run through it fast enough to clear it before being overheated and destroyed.

On the map there would be other places there would only be burnt stumps, possibly small groves burning.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 October 2015 - 03:37 PM.

#10 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

Better idea: make flamers light trees on fire. Then we can have any map we want be a forest fire map, as long as it has trees on it. :)

Just have any burning tree generate a flamer-type effect to any mech within 15 meters of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users