Armchair Generals Of Mwo: Put Up Or Shut Up.

124 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

SInce the Steam Launch I have seen a rise from the usual number of threads QQing and Whining about PUGs and how bad they are, how dumb, how disorganized.

And there is some truth to them. Always has been.

But here's the thing: I've been in drop with most of you self proclaimed Rommel's, Pattons and Attila the Huns. AND YOU ARE AS MUCH THE PROBLEM AS THE PUGS ARE.

Why?

Because to a man, almost not one of you actually try to lead. From the very beginning, you tactical wizards whine, cuss, QQ, piss and moan and lambast your fellow players, but not once actually try to do anything useful.

Once in a blue moon, I'll hear the excuse: " I've tried, no one listens, it's like herding cats."

And this can be true. Yet other times, players do listen, be it a lance to the whole company. And that should be enough, because the OTHER TEAM IS MADE UP OF PUGS TOO. If you can even get 4-6 players to work together, that should be enough, most times to beat the other team.

But people certainly aren't going to work with you if you start the match being a self righteous ***, denigrating all your teammates, cursing them and generally being useless yourself... especially since it's usually you armchair wonders who end up dead first (giving you plenty of time to complain) and with among the lowest scores.

If they don't listen? Then yup, end of game, feel free, within the CoC to complain.

If you are not part of the Solution, you ARE the Problem. If you want a team and it's coordination, go join one and play the group queue. If you aren't going to do that, man up and accept the chaos of the PUG Life.

So put up, or shut up. If you aren't even going to try to take charge, have a coke and a smile and STFU. And if you badgering, curse and general act like a jerk, here's fair warning you are probably also going to be reported.

/rant.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Good luck with that.

It never works like that, due to human nature.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 17 December 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

Good luck with that.

It never works like that, due to human nature.

You and I both know that. Doesn't mean that these grognard neckbeards don't need to be told to push off, though , eh?

#4 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

I've made good use of the mute feature lately.

#5 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Post this on the steam boards. You might get lucky there. Here? Not so much.

#6 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Playing pug = voip - off.

Not only do I not have to listen to people cry like 2 year olds, but its way more entertaining to poke fun at the LRM Dire that thinks its amazing he barely scraped together 500 damage in a match via text everyone can read.

#7 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

I just derp about in solo doing whatever. Like last night when I was on River City. I derped into the whole enemy team then ran away to find friendlies. I found a friendly Whale and was like "thank you Lord Jibbers Crabst," then he started to shoot me in the face.

Then I died.

#8 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 17 December 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

I just derp about in solo doing whatever. Like last night when I was on River City. I derped into the whole enemy team then ran away to find friendlies. I found a friendly Whale and was like "thank you Lord Jibbers Crabst," then he started to shoot me in the face.

Then I died.

This made me laugh out loud, then sigh regretfully.

#9 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

I usually try. I did spend a match with some POS who may have been steaming or something talking like some horrible comedy routine and jamming the com's.

We lost, by the way.

On the other hand, the matches where i was listened to, we rolled over them, even if i had to yell at the Hunchback pilot.

People are not an easily controlled value.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

You and I both know that. Doesn't mean that these grognard neckbeards don't need to be told to push off, though , eh?

I dunno. It's part of PUG Life™.

There will always be people that don't listen to you... whether it is in chat or VOIP (and they could be non-English speaking).

Things you cannot control is what makes some rage. When you're in a group, you can't control what the other group does, but if your group is the biggest group... you tend to have the most control over the situation.

It is what it is.

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

The worst players complain about the "bads"

classic case of compensation and redirection.

Everyone thinks they "know how to win the match"

the biggest whiners I see in game finish the match with sub 200 damage and an early death. Then blame it on everyone else. And the majority of these are not low tier players. IF the team's not communicating, or has new players, as an experienced player you have to watch what they are doing and change your actions accordingly. Back that stupid push up even if it's not what your unit would have done. Lay down suppressing fire for them. Watch the new players backs and help them survive and be somewhat effective. BE THE ROCK, MAN

Don'tbe a condescending ***** and expect folks to want to listen to you.

The a**holes and know it alls... just mute em and enjoy your game how you want Posted Image

On a side note, lately I have been having very good matches in the PUG and group que with PUG groups. People seem to work together quite nicely for the most part.

Edited by cSand, 17 December 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

Had a good match this morning me in my trusty DRG-5N on Terra, I made a buddy out of an olive drab King Crab (KGC-000B(c)), and we went on to do, bad, bad things to the back sides of the Red Team... I kept the lights off of him, he butchered things in front of me. I'd have to say that even two mechs working together as a team in PUGLife, can make a big differance.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostCavale, on 17 December 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

I usually try. I did spend a match with some POS who may have been steaming or something talking like some horrible comedy routine and jamming the com's.

We lost, by the way.

On the other hand, the matches where i was listened to, we rolled over them, even if i had to yell at the Hunchback pilot.

People are not an easily controlled value.

Hey, it's noisy in my Hunchback's cockpit... big honking gun next to my ear.......

#14 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

I rarely lead because I usually do not have a mic and my text-based commands are usually ignored. Sometimes they're not and we do pretty well.

I find that simply calling out a square repeatedly will eventually drive a team to that square to fight or at least look at, though. Sometimes its only one person at a time, though, and then you usually get the deathball scenario where your team goes in one by one to be eaten by the monster.

For solo queue, though, this is at least slightly more effective than blaming everybody else after you die first.

With my unit, we just let dvon lead. He's got volume and he says things firmly, which means when the non-DW players see the DW group follow commands they tend to follow. Same goes for Col. Brickhouse if you've ever played with him. Do the Jesus thing: say things strong and loud, others will listen. Give others any reason to doubt that you're going to lead them to glorious victory and they're apt to shy away. Same goes for being a d-bag on the comms/chat. Nobody wants to follow that.

#15 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

was in a solo queue match last night where a two players kept saying "omg" or "this team.." over and over again, not communicating their plan in any way shape or form.

Its like dude, I get we aren't doing what you think we should be doing, but please, offer SOMETHING. We can't read your mind.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

The thing that gets me is when these idiots Take Command™, then proceed to try and outline some triple-prong pincer switchback attack like he's Space Napoleon.

Any plan more complicated than "Go here, then shoot anything you can draw a bead on" is going to fail hard in Puglandia, and yet we still get these people who try and execute the sorts of things even professional military types would scoff at.

MWO is, effectively, an open-field tactical game. Modern tactical knowledge states that the correct answer is to concentrate more firepower on the enemy than they can concentrate on you, and to do so as quickly as possible. Anything else is counterproductive faffing around.

STOP FAFFING, MWO.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 December 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

Hey, it's noisy in my Hunchback's cockpit... big honking gun next to my ear.......

Didn't one of your ancestors bequeath you their Bose QuietComfort noise-cancelling headphones from the 21st Century along with your bucket of bolts?

#18 Felbombling

• 2,975 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

I must be honest, it is crazy how this game just had an influx of new players and the vets seem to forget that they were new once, too. This game has a pretty steep learning curve. I can almost guarantee you, if there is an Assault Mech on your team walking into a building for two minutes straight, there is an Assualt Mech on the other team blowing the crap out of a friendly by accident.

Lighten up gang... it is but a game.

#19 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

View Postsycocys, on 17 December 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Playing pug = voip - off.

Not only do I not have to listen to people cry like 2 year olds, but its way more entertaining to poke fun at the LRM Dire that thinks its amazing he barely scraped together 500 damage in a match via text everyone can read.

Why can't I get in these matches, it seems entertaining.

#20 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

While I might complain to myself or a RL friend I drop with about the decision making of our teammates I would never feel the need to talk down to my teammates or opponents even if I feel like they are playing poorly. I've had my fair share of terrible games <150 dmg to offset those 1000+dmg games.

I've made plenty of blunders that end up with me dying terribly and accomplishing next to nothing. Players learn not to do this by experience (it happens less and less for me these days) and as you said coordinated leadership during a drop, berating our fellow mechwarrior especially those that may just be learning the game won't change their habits so why bother?

Embrace our new mechwarrior players, we need them for the health of the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users