- - - - -

Steam Or Standalone Client?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Tokyo Dan

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

I am thinking of getting into MWO. Does the Steam version has any advantages over the standalone client (or visa versa) that can be downloaded from the MWO main site?

#2 Creag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 419 posts
  • Locationadelaide Australia

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

There are suppose to be the same

#3 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

The only advantage of I know of to the steam version is that you can get it running on Linux. Other than that I don't know of any benefit to tying it in with steam.

#4 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

The game updates through Steam and not the launcher

#5 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

In the past, I have had issues with the launcher in that it sometimes downloads corrupted game files and patches, which then forces a complete re-download of the game. It was quite a frustrating experience that more or less forced me to download the game via the repair tool.

I have never had issues with steam, no matter what game I install, so in that regard, I think steam is better.

Steam also allows you to keep your screenshots in one place, and also has easy to use streaming options if you want your friends to spectate your game.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

Both run the same way. The launcher does do updates as well, however it's a bit closetly known that the launcher (when traced) appears to torrent its updates through a user web which can sometimes be the source of update problems.

With the steam version being here, the only reason not to use the steam version is either A) you don't want to use Steam or can't due to RAM limitations or issues with Steam's 'friend' popup notification, or... well really that's about it.

Also welcome to MWO. Feel free to bring forth any questions you have; there's always someone here willing to throw their help in.

#7 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

I think that the steam version might need slightly more bandwidth than the standalone, seeing as how the latter runs steam at the same time. Might be something to keep in mind if you have a shoddy ISP

#8 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:38 PM

The only advantage is bragging rights on Steam, on the hours played Posted Image
I like the Steam overlay around, reading up on the game during dull or waiting moments in the game like loading, etc.

Edited by M0rdresh, 20 December 2015 - 02:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users