Tie Gauss Fire Recharge Rate To Number Of Gauss/ppc/erppc/cerppc

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

A lot of people don't like the Gauss recharge mechanic and a lot of people don't like an instant hit 15 pt damage w/ 1 heat and then when you double it or tie it with PPC's, you can get a 40 FLPD quick shot.

How to actually fix this?

1. If a mech has 1 Gauss cannon and no PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC/Gauss there is no recharge
2. If a mech has 1 Gauss cannon and 1 PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC there is a .5 sec recharge
3. If a mech has 2 Gauss cannons and/or 1 or more PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC there is a .75 recharge.

Most builds boat gauss, so there would be no change to them. To Medium mechs that can run 1 gauss and a few medium lasers, its a significant buff, but they only get a 15 FLPD, short of them trying to put in 2 ERLL and they are willing to expose themselves for return fire.

#2 Brawler1986

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:21 AM

I don't like this idea. Introducing more dependancies how a weapon-system should behave makes it more complex and unreliable. Pin Point Damage will always be a thing.

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:31 AM

It looks like you're looking for something that could limit the number of gauss, PPC, ERLL, etc you can fire at once.

let me just dig up something from my balance manifesto...

Available Engine Power:

The amount of power availble to a mech for things like charging gauss (energy drain during cooldown), firing energy weapons, moving, jumping, running ECM or BAP, etc

If the available power is shown in a bar on the HUD engine power consumption would be much more intuitive than ghost heat. To be fair, I've played with half assed linux distros that are more intuitive than ghost heat is to the new player. It would also give PGI another lever (energy consumption and max available power of a mech) to use to achieve balance.

#4 Brawler1986

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 21 December 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

It looks like you're looking for something that could limit the number of gauss, PPC, ERLL, etc you can fire at once.

Available Engine Power:

The amount of power availble to a mech for things like charging gauss (energy drain during cooldown), firing energy weapons, moving, jumping, running ECM or BAP, etc

If the available power is shown in a bar on the HUD engine power consumption would be much more intuitive than ghost heat. To be fair, I've played with half assed linux distros that are more intuitive than ghost heat is to the new player. It would also give PGI another lever (energy consumption and max available power of a mech) to use to achieve balance.

I like that idea. Looks quite similar how Star Citizen ship engines work. I think a nice way to determine your role is to set a stance. For example, a sniper (which relies on pin point damage), requires lots of power directed to those weapon to avoid to be blown up. A good downside is that his mobility drastically decreases which makes it vulnerable to lights and mobile mechs.

So you have a:

- Focus fire stance > Which directs most of your power to your weapons, downside is much less agile
- Balanced Stance > Which directs your power evenly across your mech
- Mobility stance? > We already have MASC equipment, but why not?

Switching between stances are not instant and have a slight delay.

Also this will make those DireWolfs with 2 gauss and 4 PPC's much less agile and almost like a really slow rotating turret. Also heat is still in affect, but WITHOUT GHOST Heat Posted Image.

Edited by Brawler1986, 21 December 2015 - 03:21 AM.

#5 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostRhent, on 21 December 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

A lot of people don't like the Gauss recharge mechanic and a lot of people don't like an instant hit 15 pt damage w/ 1 heat and then when you double it or tie it with PPC's, you can get a 40 FLPD quick shot.

How to actually fix this?

1. If a mech has 1 Gauss cannon and no PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC/Gauss there is no recharge
2. If a mech has 1 Gauss cannon and 1 PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC there is a .5 sec recharge
3. If a mech has 2 Gauss cannons and/or 1 or more PPC/ERPPC/CERPPC there is a .75 recharge.

Most builds boat gauss, so there would be no change to them. To Medium mechs that can run 1 gauss and a few medium lasers, its a significant buff, but they only get a 15 FLPD, short of them trying to put in 2 ERLL and they are willing to expose themselves for return fire.

I can certainly agree with you that the current state of the gauss rifle leaves room for improvement. However, the way this solution is proposed it would, like ghost heat, mean another in-game widget to mentally keep track off. Taken by itself, no it isn't hard to remember, but coupled with everything else one must remember to do well in the game, this is something I would not be in favor of.

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 21 December 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

Available Engine Power:

Not a bad idea, fellow Linux user. The visual feedback element makes it easier to understand, at a moments notice, the current charge/power state of your mech. Presumably the visual feedback would be bigger than the teeny tiny rectangles we currently have around our reticle for each weapon group.

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostBrawler1986, on 21 December 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

I like that idea. Looks quite similar how Star Citizen ship engines work. I think a nice way to determine your role is to set a stance. For example, a sniper (which relies on pin point damage), requires lots of power directed to those weapon to avoid to be blown up. A good downside is that his mobility drastically decreases which makes it vulnerable to lights and mobile mechs.

So you have a:

- Focus fire stance > Which directs most of your power to your weapons, downside is much less agile
- Balanced Stance > Which directs your power evenly across your mech
- Mobility stance? > We already have MASC equipment, but why not?

Switching between stances are not instant and have a slight delay.

Also this will make those DireWolfs with 2 gauss and 4 PPC's much less agile and almost like a really slow rotating turret. Also heat is still in affect, but WITHOUT GHOST Heat Posted Image.

I would probably give each chassis their own unique combination of acceleration, turning, power capacity, engine power consumption, JJ efficiency, etc to give more differentiation between the different chassis rather than let all of them do everything more or less equally well. It'd go a long way to giving us some role warfare and it could make certain less popular chassis useful.

View Postknnniggett, on 21 December 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

Not a bad idea, fellow Linux user. The visual feedback element makes it easier to understand, at a moments notice, the current charge/power state of your mech. Presumably the visual feedback would be bigger than the teeny tiny rectangles we currently have around our reticle for each weapon group.

I'd probably use the weapon group list in the bottom right. If you can fire all of a weapon group at current speed/power consumption all the weapons in that group will be blue. If you can't fire some of them while walking or running or jumping due to energy constraints the ones you can fire will be in blue, the ones that you could fire if you stopped moving or charging your guass should be in yellow. Then if you have so many in a group that you simply cannot fire them at current energy levels those will be in red. The latter function serves to limit the number of PPC, LL, etc you can fire at once without invoking stupid hard to understand mechanics.

Best bit, red green color blind types can see it as well.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 21 December 2015 - 08:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users