- - - - -

First Mech Purchase

12 replies to this topic

#1 Boobah

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hello everyone my friend introed me to the game just yesterday and I am in love with it I'm almost done with my 25 game money boosts and got all the money from training so I've got about 20 mill saved up and was looking for advise on a good assault or heavy mech to get and load outs I love the long-range fighting aspect and would like to target and hit people from a distance all help is greatly apriciated thank you so much :)

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

I like to recommnd either the battlemaster BLR-2C or the Black Knight BLK-6-KNT

Edit: for ideas and builds, try Metamechs.com, then check out the IS guides tab and look for battlemaster or black knight.

Edited by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, 31 March 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#3 Boobah

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the tip I'll check it out

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

Since you are aligned with Ghost Bear you may want to look at Clan mechs (presuming you want to play faction war and intend sticking with the Clan factions.)

For the heavy and up for long range work (any just about anything else) these are typically your top options:
DireWolf
TimberWolf
Ebon Jaguar
Hellbringer

honorable mention goes to the Executioner and Warhawk. Both are viable, but require a bit more nuance in your piloting to bring the best out of them.

For Inner Sphere you have a lot more options. For long range specific work then its also not enough to look at a chassis, but a specific variant due to fixed hardpoint locations and (though do not rely on them because they change a lot) quirks.

For Assaults look at
King Crab
Stalker
Banshee
Zeus

Heavies:
Jagermech
Quickdraw
Thunderbolt
Black Knight
Grasshopper

and if you willing to spend a little actual cash
Warhammer
Marauder

#5 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Go through ALL the mechs available, look at the builds, quirks, and make a list on paper of the ones that favour your play style so far... then narrow it down to one model where you can afford THREE variants of right off, so that you can develop the skills in them including unlocking the elite level skills. Consider what you've been playing in trials mechs also... as you build mech specific skill points when using trials mechs, even though you can't use those points until you own that variant type of mech. Also remember things like XL engines, and double heat sink conversions, and endo steel and artemis fire control cost a lot extra, so if the mech comes with them stock for whatever price, they should be the ones you buy complete. You can open the skills table and look at the mechs you were trialing with. Champion models (C) are always based on a stock variant chassis so skill points apply to the same variant whether its the non-champion or champion version.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

I would recommend Stalkers for assaults and Jagermechs for heavies. The Jager-DD needs absolutely zero upgrades if running dual gauss rifles and the Stalkers are very cheap for their weight. You will need a 300 STD in place of a 255, but that is a one time purchase that can shared between variants.

Gauss builds can cloned on to the other variants if you swap the DD's engine into them, leaving the DD free to run its most dangerous configuration of 3x UAC-5. The S has options of multiple AC-5 or AC-5/AC-2 loadouts.

The Quickdraw is also a pretty good energy sniper that can jump and use cover well.

Edited by Spheroid, 31 March 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#7 Trainee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Buy a Hellbringer, you'll never regret it. Stick ECM and 4 erll's in it, and snipe from half the map away lol.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

You have already said you prefer heavy/assualt Mechs but how fast do you want, what is more important being durable or heavily armed, what weapons do you prefer

I second the suggestion to try all the trial Mechs, the more information you give us the better advice we will be able to give you.

try them all and take some notes on what you like/dislike about each Mech,
e.g. like the handling Timber Wolf but it runs too hot and does not jump high enough, prefer the weapons load-out of the Vindicator but the guns are too low, dislike lasers but love Machine Guns

#9 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:54 AM

Trial mechs are too similar now. Awsome and Battlemaster are almost same, exactly as DIre and Warhawk are same, sans one gauss.

#10 StumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:36 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 01 April 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Trial mechs are too similar now. Awsome and Battlemaster are almost same, exactly as DIre and Warhawk are same, sans one gauss.

Welcome to the meta.

#11 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

Trails shouldn't be Meta, besides half of those builds aren't Meta.

#12 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

Aside from my Stormcrow I don't have any other clan mechs so I can't really comment on them.

As far as IS goes you can't go wrong with the Thunderbolt. They're good solid heavies that happen to fit the current meta nicely. I wasn't particularly impressed with mine though until I unlocked speed tweak, which really made all the difference for me.

I recently picked up both the Black Knight and Marauder and can say both are great heavies too. Black Knight is a laser vomit machine and the Marauders give you a mix of lasers, ballistics, and missiles in relatively high mounts.

The Quickdraw is also a decent choice for an IS heavy but didn't particularly work for me.

For IS assaults the Stalker and Battlemasters seem to be the way to go right now. While I haven't piloted the Battlemaster yet, I do use a Stalker 4N in my CW drop deck and it works well for me.

#13 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostKurbeks, on 01 April 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

The Warhawk is considerably faster and in much less trouble if caught in the open.

Plus the DWF had a jump jet :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users