Ppc Clipping

5 replies to this topic

#1 Blitxll

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

PPC's are notorious for clipping the edges of buildings and terrain.

My idea is that when a PPC hits an edge it doesn't explode but continues to travel in its desired direction but it will do reduced damage. Clip enough objects no damage or the ball explodes.

PPC's are a very long range weapon that builds up a lot of heat. the Majority of the maps don't favor their use so with this tweak will help PPC's be more close combat friendly which will also help them in the current camping meta.

Don't use them due to major clipping problems. Some insight on this idea would be very helpful.

thanks for any replies.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:28 PM

All weapons will hit and stop or not on terrain equally.

It just matters if the projectile/beam hits the collision mesh. Note: Collision meshes are NOT visible, and sometimes extend past the visible geometry; or exist well within the visible geometry.

I'm not sure who's telling you about things that are notorious and what have you, but they're pretty much wholly wrong.

Edited by Wintersdark, 26 April 2016 - 05:30 PM.

#3 Blitxll

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 April 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

All weapons will hit and stop or not on terrain equally.

It just matters if the projectile/beam hits the collision mesh. Note: Collision meshes are NOT visible, and sometimes extend past the visible geometry; or exist well within the visible geometry.

I'm not sure who's telling you about things that are notorious and what have you, but they're pretty much wholly wrong.

Thanks for the info.

My clipping issues are from my personal experience. if i have lasers and near cover I would say 80% of the time I can hit a PPC mech and they can't hit me cause of collision mesh. That's why I suggested this feature.

Gives PPC's the ability to chew through corners. Maybe shake up this current camping meta. again just an idea not married to it.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

The hit meshed of PPCs are a mess.They seem to snap on terrain for sure but in the same distance a Mechs leg is a miss - try it run the academy - there you have lots of unmoving targets and edges that will show you the issue.

So you suggest a bandaid? Instead of fixing the mesh using it as feature? Well would be a hell lot of scripting

#5 Blitxll

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 26 April 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

The hit meshed of PPCs are a mess.They seem to snap on terrain for sure but in the same distance a Mechs leg is a miss - try it run the academy - there you have lots of unmoving targets and edges that will show you the issue.

So you suggest a bandaid? Instead of fixing the mesh using it as feature? Well would be a hell lot of scripting

What in your opinion would be the least work to get around this PPC issue. I know nothing of programming so input like yours is always helpful.

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:13 PM

View PostBlitxll, on 26 April 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

What in your opinion would be the least work to get around this PPC issue. I know nothing of programming so input like yours is always helpful.

Reduce the size of the bullet - this would fix the issue

because the other thing to let the bullet pass the terrain - well I don't know the cry engine exactly, but this could be complicated - or you reduce the terrain hitboxes - so a edge will allow any weapon to pass.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 26 April 2016 - 10:14 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users