9 replies to this topic

#1 Desenova

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

Now I know a single player campaign is far off and even a whole new game in general, but something that I have always wanted in MWO, something having nothing to do with gameplay, but instead of depth between the player and the franchise and the universe that is Battletech/MechWarrior - lore in the game. Now I don't mean giant stories or voice overs, but little things such as when you hover over a certain chasis of Battlemech, say the Atlas D-DC, there's a little blurb on the history of that build or a quote from a notable pilot or person from the universe, similar to how the Battletech card game was, and this wouldn't be limited to Mechs either, weapons, modules, and even skills and perks can all have quotes or quips. Almost similar to what the Diablo Franchise does with weapons and armor.

"Kings of the battlefield? From where I sit, Mechs are nothing but targets." can be on the Air Strike module for example. Again, it's not a game changer, but it's a nice little subtext that adds depth to the game and introduces new players, in a soft way, the greater universe at their disposal. I mean, Blueprints and Lore for Hero Mechs are already getting posted on a regular basis, so why not add those to the Heroes that are already there? To top it off, half the work is already on Sarna.net, so there's that. Just something I have always wanted in this game. Thoughts?

#2 Kaeseblock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 258 posts
  • LocationEU / Deutschland

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Sounds good. Would be a nice addition to the game.

#3 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

For a number of reasons in addition to this one, PGI is in dire need of a full-time copywriter.

#4 Arguss10

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPerth , Western Australia

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

I Agree. Using some of the Lore could greatly enhance this game. Especially in Community Warfare. Giving a background about a planet would make the players understand why they are attacking a certain Planet. Descriptions of why this planet is so important , Being a Mech Production Facility or a Weapons Depot or the best Brothel in the Inner Sphere. It would give players something to read while waiting for a game , and give them a reason for Attacking / Defending that particular Planet. It's all there in the Battletech / MechWarrior Books for PGI to have easy access too . Having a history of certain Mechs would also give you something to read also in Quick Play while waiting for the game to start. Right now everything really has No Meaning , Especially if you don't know about the Battletech Universe.

#5 Desenova

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

View PostArguss10, on 27 April 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

I Agree. Using some of the Lore could greatly enhance this game. Especially in Community Warfare. Giving a background about a planet would make the players understand why they are attacking a certain Planet. Descriptions of why this planet is so important , Being a Mech Production Facility or a Weapons Depot or the best Brothel in the Inner Sphere. It would give players something to read while waiting for a game , and give them a reason for Attacking / Defending that particular Planet. It's all there in the Battletech / MechWarrior Books for PGI to have easy access too . Having a history of certain Mechs would also give you something to read also in Quick Play while waiting for the game to start. Right now everything really has No Meaning , Especially if you don't know about the Battletech Universe.

This - exactly this! I have no issue with wait times, I understand they are long due to the small population of the game so far, but when I'm waiting during a CW match, I am reading or writing. They seem like minor additions, but they add to the game on a completely different level.

#6 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:50 PM

PGI can save themselves a lot of work If they choose to Allow the community to write a lot of this for them.

1) Create a framework for us to work within. Set expectations

2) Get a players to submit test work to prove their quality of work (and so that you dont have input from 300 writers and only 5 are any good)

3) Programmers create the code to allow popup/hover over lore boxes on items and mechs . OR a Lore Cursor, Little pic of a Magnifying glass, that when toggled shows lore information for everything you hover over.

4) Then select and edit the best submissions from those approved submitters.

#7 Desenova

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

And a lot of this stuff is already on Sarna.net!

#8 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

And honestly, you've got decades of fluff to pull stuff from.

The TT game. The CCG. Even the oldest computer games. Flavor text literally is flavor.

#9 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

Yes, please.

#10 SHIN BRODAMA

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 67 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

I play MWO mainly b/c of a childhood obsession with Battletech and Mechwarrior 2/ mw2 mercenaries. I'm sure there aren't many of us out there, but for me the lack of lore or an overarching storyline is a major gap with this product.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users