Kdk + Gauss = Help!

2 replies to this topic

#1 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Haven't use Gauss since they added the recharge period years ago.

Trying KDK-3 with 2 ERPPC's and 2 Gauss.

Looks like a great build. Nice on the sterile testing grounds.

BUT, how the heck do you use that recharge in a match?! On a hulking, very visible (primary target) assault that isn't that fleet footed that it can distance itself that easily, I'm almost always ending up with a few reds in my face and the recharge time is killing me.

I've seen a few KDK-3's score 1,000+ but they were always on the periphery.
Of, course situational awareness plays a role, but it seems as if luck is a bigger factor.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Edited by Chill Bill, 06 August 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostChill Bill, on 06 August 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

What am I missing?

Thanks.

OK:

First, you put a MG in each torso BEFORE you put the Gauss in so the Gauss is up high. 2 Peeps in one arm. This lets you ridge hump and side peek like a mofo.

As for using the Gauss, practice a lot in Testing grounds, you basically anticipate a shot and charge it before. Its a timing thing.
Or, you fire the peeps, then track as they charge then fire. Similar to Gaussvomit.

So you want to stay about 500-700m away from the action until you have no choice.

you have to keep up with the herd, shouldnt be hard in a Kodiak, and pick shots that you can unload then hide behind cover while you cooldown.

When you get hot, 2 shots of the peeps, slow down a bit and ride the Gauss.

And when eating return fire, twist your peep arm away. You will lose far side gauss first.

On a hot map put the peeps on chain fire if things get hectic.

Now, the whole point of the Gauss+ERPPC is if your am is good, you drop 50 damage all front loaded onto some one's component at good range.
The high mounts for the Gauss let you keep 4/5ths of the mech under cover as you fire. This is rare for clans. the ERPPCs require more exposure but can be mitigated.

If you are constantly getting over run early match, you positioning is off and are likely lagging behind. basically keep movinglooking for better angles to get free trades on choice enemy mechs: dont go chasing some locust, bully a slow assault/heavy of theirs. If an enemy medium makes a nice target, slap them but dont over commit, you want to use the Kodiak's speed to bully heavies and to get back into cover.
Really avoid camping unless your whole team is winning by doing so.

Late match when you need to brawl, stay with the blues and twist and really use positioning. Dont get timid, because, hey, red will be gunning for your kodiak anyhow.

Gman describes it well here.

#3 Chill Bill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the seminar, InspectorG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users