- - - - -

High Priority Pilot Module(S)?

13 replies to this topic

#1 yukkuri

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

Ok, so i earned the first 5000 GXP and now i have some modules to choose from, I guess the most recommended modules would be advanced zoom or seismic sensors (which cost 7500 though), am i correct?

#2 Wind of Horror

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:01 PM

Guess it depends on your build. Radar Dep. is really good and my first choice on all mechs. Then either zoom if you have Gauss/PPC maybe AC/2/LL builds. or Seismic if you're a skirmisher/brawler. That's what I do atleast. LRM/SSRM might take some targeting stuff like Decay.

Edited by Wind of Horror, 23 December 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#3 yukkuri

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostWind of Horror, on 23 December 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Guess it depends on your build. Radar Dep. is really good and my first choice on all mechs. Then either zoom if you have Gauss/PPC maybe AC/2/LL builds. or Seismic if you're a skirmisher/brawler. That's what I do atleast. LRM/SSRM might take some targeting stuff like Decay.
Ok so the radar dep cost 15K for it.....i guess i will grind for a little longer then......

#4 Wind of Horror

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:27 PM

Yeah when I first played there was no caches. So I used my (free) MC to convert XP into GXP to get Radar Dep and Seismic quickly. That might help relieve the 'grind'.

Also you can take your modules off a mech and put on another, so you really only need 1 copy of each module besides for the faction stuff maybe, I've never tried it. (Even if your previous mech is still in-game, locked up.)

Edited by Wind of Horror, 23 December 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#5 yukkuri

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostWind of Horror, on 23 December 2016 - 11:27 PM, said:

Yeah when I first played there was no caches. So I used my (free) MC to convert XP into GXP to get Radar Dep and Seismic quickly. That might help relieve the 'grind'.

Also you can take your modules off a mech and put on another, so you really only need 1 copy of each module besides for the faction stuff maybe, I've never tried it. (Even if your previous mech is still in-game, locked up.)

The biggest problem is GXP, it takes way too long to accumulate up......

Edited by yukkuri, 23 December 2016 - 11:40 PM.

#6 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Don't worry too much about it.

In Q1 next year, there is going to be a new pilot skill tree that will replace the current pilot skills and the entire module system.

So by all means follow the advice if your playing here, but just bear in mind that new system is going to be coming in soon that replaces the current one.

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:39 AM

I find seismic to be the most useful, followed by radar derp.

#8 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

Id suggest that you upgrade the consumables you use first. so coolshot 9x9, improved UAV etc. immediate bang for buck upgrade and don't have to shell out millions of cbills for a module.

Edited by Stormie, 24 December 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#9 yukkuri

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:01 AM

View PostStormie, on 24 December 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Id suggest that you upgrade the consumables you use first. so coolshot 9x9 etc. immediate bang for bunk upgrade and don't have to shell out millions of cbills for a module.

I dont really use consumables as they cost C-Bills, i rather save for the modules which i can always benefit from it.

#10 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:02 AM

you don't use consumables? they more than pay for themselves...

#11 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:21 AM

IMO, Radar Deprivation #1
Seismic #2

On LRM boats, Radar Decay is essential equipment.

Advanced Zoom is useful on sniper builds. Also just depends on how good your eyes are ... lots of people report playing entirely without, with my awful eyes I find it useful even at mid range.

If you use consumables, those consumable skills are essential. As far as consumables in general, I find UAV's the most useful. Especially in lower tier games, people aren't too good at shooting them down, especially if you pop one right on top of them.

And yeah, realize that early next year all current skills AND modules are getting replaced by a new system. So whatever you get now it'll be a very temporary thing, you'll be getting a 100% c-bill and GXP refund soon.temporary thing.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostStormie, on 24 December 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

you don't use consumables? they more than pay for themselves...

they can pay for themselves, a well placed UAV can pay for itself, however more often it gives a huge XP boost but does not pay for itself in terms of cbills.
a strike can pay for itself but in my experiance rarely does, more often they are tactal weapons, you drop one, the enemy get out of its range and you have broked a stalemate
I cannot see how the 1-2 extra shots from a cool shot could possibly pay for itself.

the way consumables are most likely to pay for themselves are in increased chances of winning the match

for the record I often use a UAV and do usualy also take (but rarely use) a strike

do not bother with modules, they will all (except consumables) be removed next year, probably Feburary

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 December 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#13 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

The way coolshots pay for themselves, imho, is that they trade a few cbills into exp and more cash at endgame than what's spent on the actual consumable. I play mostly mediums and heavies (IS) in a variety of rolls, but what limited experience I've had shows that the ability to avoid damage/shutdown from heat is absolutely essential in a firefight.

Of course...I'll be the first to admit my Kryptonite is that I get focused on a kill when in skirmisher/brawler mode rather than heat management; squeezing off a finishing shot even when my heat's spiked earned me and my team a dead Warspawn and his mech more than once during crucial finishing minutes of a fight.

To overcome this, i've gone on a pair of paths. On one, I run mechs with cooler weapon penalties...trading tons of heatsinks and alpha damage for sustained damage over time. This nets fairly good kmdd's and assists; a much better team player. On the second path I'm focused on dealing as much damage as I can over the shortest period of time, tending to withdraw after burning down a target to cool off and find the next victim. And...this is where the consumable coolshot will save your backside. Often...you cannot withdraw and get out of Dodge. You're in a fight and for better or worse, your game ends the moment the heat shuts you down or critically damages your mech. In that situation, ask yourself...is it better as a new pilot to dump a 9 and 6 coolshot to get you out of the situation with kills and a victory, or pop a uav or strike to watch the rest of the battle as a spectator?

(Snappy Salute!) to Rogue Jedi...my mentor in Praetorian Legion! I agree about saving now to take advantage of changes coming to modules. I'm wondering what all the effort I put towards early adopter rewards and xp spending will net me after that hits; grr.

I'd argue that a battlemech with a couple of lasers operational and communicating to the team is much more valuable than an arty/air smokebomb or a few seconds of UAV coverage that's vulnerable to getting swatted down.

YMMV... Posted Image

Edited by Warspawn, 24 December 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#14 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Oh...and for fun and cheap rewards for now, get advanced zoom and reach out and touch someone. Radar Derp and Seismic and/or Target Decay are much more useful, but nothing makes you smile more than cranking in that middle mouse button and seeing ERLL's or ERPPC's (shh...and my AC/2 Shadow Hawk!) shred someone to pieces. Again, your mileage may vary. What mech/wpns are you favoring now?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users