Nvidia Brings Geforce Now Game Streaming To Any Pc Or Mac

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:47 AM

This looks pretty cool, hope they change the pricing though.

http://arstechnica.c...e-release-date/

Nvidia has launched a new version of its GeForce Now game streaming software that allows users to play any game they own from the likes of Steam, Origin, and Uplay on any PC or Mac. Pricing starts at $25 for 20 hours of play on a GTX 1060 PC, or 10 hours of play on a GTX 1080 PC. A free trial will also be available.

Interestingly, the new service works like a virtual desktop, with users seeing a full Windows install on logging in. From there, users can load up regular versions of Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay, and GOG and download any game they like from their existing library.

Edited by Sparrow1250, 05 January 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Honestly, it's -really- expensive. The price would need to come down for it to be even remotely worthwhile.

For the cost of a high-end rig (say, $1500) you get 600 hours of gaming with a GTX 1080 system. That's less than 2 hours per day, or almost 2 hours per day if you don't game at all on the weekends. For most MWO players (and indeed most actual PC gamers) that is a paltry amount. You end up spending $3000 for two years, which is about the cycle for hardware enthusiasts for upgrading. You could literally build a new system every year for the same cash, or build one new system and then do upgrades for even cheaper and still maintain good performance (since usually only the GPU needs to be upgraded for new games if you get a good CPU at the start).

The price is probably good enough at the 1060 level since its 2.5x the amount of time (which puts you around parity with building a new system and then upgrading) but then you're living at the mid-range instead of high-end. Okay for MOBA and RTS probably, but not for brand new AAA titles if you want to crank the eye candy.

I'm not impressed by it at all.

#3 Sparrow1250

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

I see the real value in this would be when I'm traveling for work or on vacation with a low end laptop. I could play with a decent rig as long as there is a good Internet access.

#4 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Honestly it's only useful for seeing how different hardware configurations can impact performance. That or trying out a new game for an hour or two. Otherwise it's not worth it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users