13 replies to this topic

#1 JoanTheLiar

• PipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 59 posts
  • Locationsouth pole where the ping is the highest

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

soo we are entering a new era of tech stuff and all but cant pgi add types of armor as well? like standard armor, endo steel, reflective armor, and ferros armor
for ex.
standard armor: for stock purposes the same way we have it right now.

endo steel: standard armor but with less weight but takes more critical slots

reflective armor: armor that does not take up slots but weight instead. has a 10%dmg reduction against energy-based weapons but it takes an additional 10% dmg from ballistic and missile weapons.

ferros fibrous armor: armor that does not take up slots but weight instead. has a 10%dmg reduction against ballistic and missiles-based weapons but it takes an additional 10% dmg from energy weapons.

this will bring out the dynamics when customizing your mech and what type of role does it truly play.
im not saying pgi should do it exactly like this but something like this.
how does the community think of this idea and please share your opinion about this
thank you

Edited by JoanTheLiar, 23 January 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

"Endo Steel" armor already exists. it's just called Ferro-Fibrous armor instead.

The tabletop game already has rules for reflective and reactive armor. Also has rules for Ferro-Lamellor, which we're never going to see, and Hardened armor, which nobody wants to see. Not to mention things like Stealth armor.

There's plenty of alternative armor types available (for the Inner Sphere). No need to invent new ones out of whole cloth yet.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

https://mwomercs.com...and-non-weapon/

There. All the armor that can possibly be added is described in broad stroke there. Basically, Reflective (Reduced laser damage, crit bloat), Reactive (Reduced Explosive damage, crit bloat), Light Ferro (Inbetween Standard and Ferro), Stealth (Super ECM), and Hardened (Extra armor).

#4 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

The tabletop game already has rules for reflective and reactive armor. Also has rules for Ferro-Lamellor, which we're never going to see, and Hardened armor, which nobody wants to see. Not to mention things like Stealth armor.

Oh, I want to see hardened armor. XL engines wouldn't be quite as fragile if you're using some of the tonnage gained to superarmor your torso. Stealth given MWOs ECM fetish might be the one nobody WOULD see, never mind if they wanted to.

#5 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 23 January 2017 - 09:31 PM, said:

Oh, I want to see hardened armor. XL engines wouldn't be quite as fragile if you're using some of the tonnage gained to superarmor your torso. Stealth given MWOs ECM fetish might be the one nobody WOULD see, never mind if they wanted to.

Hardened is so bad though. You can't just use Hardened on your torso, you have to use it everywhere else too, and you will lose your XL weight savings and then some, and then some more, to Hardened. I would honestly rather see Modular Armor - just bolt 20 extra points of plating onto a component for an extra ton, wherever you happen to need it. That would actually work for MWO, and it offers much the same safer-XL benefit as Hardened Armor without being actively awful.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:25 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 January 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

Hardened is so bad though. You can't just use Hardened on your torso, you have to use it everywhere else too, and you will lose your XL weight savings and then some, and then some more, to Hardened. I would honestly rather see Modular Armor - just bolt 20 extra points of plating onto a component for an extra ton, wherever you happen to need it. That would actually work for MWO, and it offers much the same safer-XL benefit as Hardened Armor without being actively awful.

Hardened armor also slows you down by 16.2 kph.

Edited by FupDup, 23 January 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#7 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

I mean...doubled armour (or 4x) is pretty tempting

It's a -1 Run speed, so a touch above 10 Kph. 16.2?
But, all dat armour.
It does come at a cost, though.

6 ERML, 20 DHS Hunch 2C with 2 JJs
120 CT armor

YISS
I'll take that Defensive Power Creep...don't go telling me it will be IS exclusive
Now, I did make a mistake on the build, because that's only a 255XL...but it will do.

#8 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

IIRC hardened might be IS only xD

Oh, no wait. But 3090 :/

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 January 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

YISS
I'll take that Defensive Power Creep...don't go telling me it will be IS exclusive
Now, I did make a mistake on the build, because that's only a 255XL...but it will do.

It should be. No god-Mechs for you!

#10 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:19 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 23 January 2017 - 11:18 PM, said:

It should be. No god-Mechs for you!

Why does it seem so unimpressive VS that Hunchback?
WubShee can only have 232 front CT armor, 132 ST (pretty much current ST)
With a 375, 3LPL and 3 erSL, 18 heat sink
Could easily drop half that Leg armour, though, so 5 SL and ~20 DHS

#11 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

Sarna indicates that Clan can also use these types of armor.

SInce I'm too lazy to check, what if we (PGI) make them only accsessible to IS?

I'm one of the proponents that IS is to be given more options to fight the Clans rather than make them (more or less) equal. It's the hard way to balance but it's at least would look and feel better.

#12 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hardened doesn't do anything but let you double down on armor weight. No actual boost in protection-per-ton, just lets you spend twice the weight you normally would on armor. Yes, that's significant, but it comes at the stated cost of going really damn slow since you A.) take a direct mobility penalty from the armor itself, and B.) have to slice your engine down to the bone bare minimum to try and pack all that extra weight of armor on a 'Mech. You lose most of your firepower tonnage, and going Really Damn Slow is a damage magnifier all its own since you're super easy to catch. I mean hell, that XL255 Hunchbutt IIC above hits 66.4 kph if the 16.2 penalty comes in intact. Sixty-six. On an XL medium whose only armament is a handful of medium lasers.

No doubt Hardened would have its nichey uses, times where spending thirty tons on armor makes enough sense that it doesn't just outright cripple a 'Mech's ability to do anything but take a punch. But I can't imagine those circumstances would be often, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting as the reflective/reactive mindgame and trying to figure out which way to flip on that, if indeed you want to do either of them.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

No thanks. This is like cone of fire and will be exploited to the max.

Edited by Johnny Z, 24 January 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#14 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

It would certainly change the way people play if you don't know whether the Atlas / Banshee leading the charge has 2X or 4X armour. Sure, the weapons would give it away, since it would be pretty light on armament, but if the enemy is suddenly pushing and maybe covered by ECM, you wouldn't quite know which mech to focus on. Maybe you waste a lot of heat and ammo on a tanking assault mech with relatively little firepower, playing right into the enemy team's hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users