- - - - -

Why Are Heat Dissipation So Slow

8 replies to this topic

#1 I Am Alt Account XD

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

i put 27 heat sinks on timber wolf and only 6 med pulse lasor and srm6 and it takes 8 yrs to cool off why are heat dissipation so bad

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

Because you need to learn and manage your heat. It's an added layer of complexity that needs to be taken into account when you're playing.

How many alpha's can I fire on a typical map before I need to back off and cool down?
Will firing X of weapon Y cause heat damage to my 'Shutdown Overridden' mech or will it not?, in my

Anyway, in my experience Clan mechs cool down much faster than IS mechs, take a walk around a building and reengage for another alpha or two I'd say. Posted Image

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

Easy.

For every heatsink you add, in MWO, you also raise the maximum amount of heat you can use.

So while in Battletech, 30 is 100% and every heatsink you have just increases how quickly you can get rid of the heat every 10 seconds (each turn)...

MWO has made it so that 10 singles gives you 40 units as 100%
10 doubles or 20 singles gives you 50 units as 100%
Then, if you have say, "Heat Containment" unlocked... that number easily jumps to 60 units as 100% (so twice as much as tabletop, so what should take 15 seconds to cool from 100% to 0% with 20 singles or 10 doubles, will actually take 30 seconds... because you can have twice as much heat to get to 100%).

Also. Heat management. It's good to learn.

#4 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostI Am Alt Account XD, on 31 January 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

i put 27 heat sinks on timber wolf and only 6 med pulse lasor and srm6 and it takes 8 yrs to cool off why are heat dissipation so bad

- Best method to keep your mech out of overheating - keep your mech heatmanagement not less than 1.3 if you have medium skill in shooting and 1.2 as lowest possible index of heatmanagement. Some builds allow you keep that number over 1.3 like 1.45 or 1.65 make your mech pretty cold.
For current your build I can suggest break firepower into 3 groups.
group 1 - 3 MPL
group 2 - 3 MPL
group 3 - SRM6
Use them only when target in range with some delay and you get less problem with heat.
Also many weapons of same type bring ghost heat right now. So after 4 MPL (5-6) you get more heat than described in weapon info.

#5 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Timberwolf is prone to overheating problems because of slot limitation and the desire to pack a ton of weapons on this. Honesty for all the people claiming this mech is still the best heavy is a joke. Every other heavy I have positive kd except this one, it seems they nerfed it awhile back and never fixed it after. Personally if the Timberwolf chassis was not my clans mech lore wise, I would sell all 4 of them I have. Well 3, because I bought the hero one for some strange reason.

Edited by Natred, 03 February 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#6 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

The SRM lacks synergy with the MPL.

I'd recommend dropping the SRM and replacing it with heatsinks, as 6 MPL is a pretty hot build in general, even when build properly.

#7 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

What Tarogato said.
A couple of medium pulse alpha's and most targets are dead before they get into srm range.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 03 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:29 AM

View PostI Am Alt Account XD, on 31 January 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

It's not, you just don't understand how it works.
  • Heat management in this game has two components: heat capacity (how much heat your mech can handle before it overheats) and heat disspation (how much heat your mech can shed every second).
  • Your heat gauge is scaled to your heat capacity. If your capacity was 40 heat and you fired a 10 heat weapon, you'd see a 25% bump. If your capacity was 80 heat and you fired a 10 heat weapon, you'd see a 13% bump.
  • Adding heat sinks increases both your heat capacity and heat dissipation, but not at an equal rate.
  • Your heat capacity increases 1 pt for every standard heat sink you have and 2 pt for every double heat sink you have.
  • Heat dissipation is a bit more complicated: standard heat sinks dissipate 0.1 pt/s everywhere, while double heat sinks dissipate 0.2 pt/s for each of the 10 engine heat sinks and 0.14 pt/s for each additional heat sink (including the ones in engine slots) .
  • Note that some maps modify your heat dissipation.
Basically, while your mech loses heat faster with more heat sinks, dropping from 100% to 0 heat isn't much faster because every % on the gauge represents more heat than it did before.

How does this affect your build, you ask?
  • With 27 clan double heat sinks, your heat capacity is 84 points (30 base + 2 for every DHS).
  • With the default 15 CDHS (10 engine and 5 in the engine slots), it would be 60 points.
  • Your weapons produce 40 heat per alpha.
  • With 27 CDHS, you can make two alphas before you need to retreat and cool down.
  • With the default 15 CDHS, you would overheat on every other alpha.
  • With 27 CDHS, your heat dissipation is 4.38 pts/s, taking you 19.18 s to go from 100% heat to zero and 9.13s to dissipate heat from one alpha.
  • With the default 15 CDHS, your heat dissipation would be 2.7 pts/s, taking you 22.2 s to go from 100% heat to zero and 14.82s to dissipate heat from one alpha.

Edited by Horseman, 05 February 2017 - 03:17 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

I am guessing the build is something like this

with 27 heatsinks your Timber Wolf has 75 heat capacity, and on a heat nuteral map you have 4.55 cooling per second (less on the hot maps, more on the cold maps)

on an average heat map you can keep firing everything none stop for 13 seoncds before overheating, then it would take about 15 seconds for your Mech to totaly cool off (if you stop moving and firing and do not use Jumpjets or get hit by a flamer), ether that or you could stop firing about half your weapons, or fire all of them about half as often to maintain your heat level.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 06 February 2017 - 11:58 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users