Add Metallic Glow Option For Color Palette

8 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

So part of the reason why Scorch looks so horrible is because you are applying to the steel burn effect onto regular paint.

As a result, you can't really showcase the transition from luster to dull when undergoing heat treatment. Thus, the color pattern looks more like strange color rings than an effect.

Now, for Scorch, the fix seems to be easy.

1: Extend the effect to the whole body
2: Add metallic shine to the rest of the body as a special paint.

Which is my main point for today, in that, why isn't metallic shine or by extension, any other effect you can think of, added as additional purchasable option for color customization?

Now, we know the metallic shine effect is do-able. Because it's applies very strongly to the Jade Falcon pattern and to a less degree, the Wolf pattern. So the capability is there.

What I am proposing, is to separate effect from actual patterns. Cause, even with Jade Falcon and Wolf pattern, some people (like me) like the stripes or blocks, but absolutely hate the shiny effect.

So then, just restructure the color customization from 2 tabs: color and pattern,
to 3 tabs: color, effect, and pattern

And different effects, like I described, are basically Photoshop filters that you can apply.

So, metallic, rust, glass, fuzzy, shingles, etc etc.

And make them mech variant specific for ~500 MCs (like patterns, but half, because it's not as complicated). I would totally dish out money for them.

So how about it PGI, give this a try?

Edited by razenWing, 20 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#2 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 20 February 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

So part of the reason why Scorch looks so horrible is because you are applying to the steel burn effect onto regular paint.

As a result, you can't really showcase the transition from luster to dull when undergoing heat treatment. Thus, the color pattern looks more like strange color rings than an effect.

Now, for Scorch, the fix seems to be easy.

1: Extend the effect to the whole body
2: Add metallic shine to the rest of the body as a special paint.

Which is my main point for today, in that, why isn't metallic shine or by extension, any other effect you can think of, added as additional purchasable option for color customization?

Now, we know the metallic shine effect is do-able. Because it's applies very strongly to the Jade Falcon pattern and to a less degree, the Wolf pattern. So the capability is there.

What I am proposing, is to separate effect from actual patterns. Cause, even with Jade Falcon and Wolf pattern, some people (like me) like the stripes or blocks, but absolutely hate the shiny effect.

So then, just restructure the color customization from 2 tabs: color and pattern,
to 3 tabs: color, effect, and pattern

And different effects, like I described, are basically Photoshop filters that you can apply.

So, metallic, rust, glass, fuzzy, shingles, etc etc.

And make them mech variant specific for ~500 MCs (like patterns, but half, because it's not as complicated). I would totally dish out money for them.

So how about it PGI, give this a try?

The HellSlinger has this on his feet. If you look, they are burnt black mat with an "oily" rainbow colour and at the ankle the rest of the paint has a 90%(i did pull this number out of...) shine where at the right angle you cant even see the colour.

#3 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Pinks, purples, bronzes, silvers, etc, etc.

#4 DRlFTER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

I responded to this thread earlier, commenting along the lines of "Yes. You win, close this thread."
Apparently that was taken as an unintended insult, and was moderated. I actually meant, "I agree with the OPs idea 100% and would love to see my MC melt away in joy."

Sorry for being unclear, great idea, I'm all for it.

#5 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

Cryengines shaders pushed realism and performance, but they were quite limited by todays standard.

I don't think you can pick and choose reflective paints to be applied to certain areas because there are no systems in place for that. You get to change three colours (it uses the RGB channel as a mask, there is literally is no more information available for more colours in this system) on a camo map that either comes with lots gloss or doesn't. You can for whatever reason, override the gloss by applying light colours, which is handy I'll admit, albeit a hack.

They can program a more complex shader, but that ain't going to happen.

Unreal Engine 4 has none of these limits BTW.

All this is a mute point for Scorch though, they took a great concept: a scorched titanium look (not all that dissimilar from the clan base metal look they have already achieved), and made it the flattest most uninteresting hero scheme ever.

...yeah I'm still disappointed over this.

#6 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:35 AM

I think the issue is the gloss/matte/metallic shader is buried in the Camo. I would love to see it pulled out as an option separate from paint or camo. Overlay option of matte, semi-gloss, gloss, high gloss or metallic.

#7 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

View PostJetfire, on 22 February 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

I think the issue is the gloss/matte/metallic shader is buried in the Camo. I would love to see it pulled out as an option separate from paint or camo. Overlay option of matte, semi-gloss, gloss, high gloss or metallic.

Yeah, given the appereance of Jade Falcon/Wolf color schemes, the tech seems to be available already. Would be REALLY nice.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostJetfire, on 22 February 2017 - 06:35 AM, said:

the patterns are pretty much the materials. materials being many textures blended together by a shader program to get the final result. one set for every pattern * every mech. needless to say changing the way the art assets work will involve changing a lot of textures, and now the artists hate you. on top of that you need a shader programmer to implement the feature and probibly some front end tweaks. this borderlines on too expensive. and thats assuming pgi arent already at the limits of the renderer.

things that are shiny have a lot of specular stuff going on with them, which explains why you can get some cool if unrealistic results using dark colors on them. theres probibly a color map texture where the 3 color channels are replaced with the player's colors. if you got a flag somewhere indicating that one of those colors are shiny, it could blend that channel with the spec map before applying it to the material. it all depends on what renderer resources have been used up.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 February 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#9 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Chrome and metallic shine? Yeah why not, cars got that too!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users