What If They Really Have The Snppc No Minimum Range?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

The Snub Nose PPC has no minimum range....What if it made it in game?

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Another ball of grey.

Posted Image

#3 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

What's the concern about?

#4 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

I hope it will make it. Only 2 slots and 6 tons at the cost of reduced maximum range. Same heat as regular PPC but no minimum range, but quicker damage falloff. Would be an interesting choice for light mechs.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:43 PM

It has even shorter range than that of regular PPC, though. I suppose the 2 slot means it is CT mountable.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 March 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:20 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 11 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

The Snub Nose PPC has no minimum range....What if it made it in game?

it's already been revealed, so yeah, probably in the game.

It also has a massively shorter maximum range.

#7 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:26 AM

SN-PPCs will be a good thing for some of the IS energy brawlers with native PPC quirks that aren't losing the quirks.

I still think that the tech jump might go a ways toward evening out some of the IS/Clan balance issues. I've thought that for a long time now. It'll be ultra ACs and ER lasers for everyone, SNPPCs for midrange IS energy brawlers, MRMs to offset Clan missiles, and both HAGs and rACs to be the new dakka everyone Must Carry.

A Kodiak 3 with four HAG40s. Could that even happen? There has to be *some* kind of drawback to that loadout. The best way to deal with a dakkabear is to pound it with LRMs from behind cover, in my opinion.

As for me, I want to try putting dual rAC5s or dual uAC10s on a Rifleman 3N.

#8 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:29 AM

I hope they keep the no min range, then some of my energy brawlers can finally swap from LPLs.

#9 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

I'm glad to see the distraction from the Skill Tree is Working As Intended.

#10 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

View PostAppogee, on 12 March 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

Well, if the Skill Tree gets improved *enough* and the 'mechs & tech they release (not announce) appeal to me, then I can probably be convinced to trust PGI for the rest of the year.

#11 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

SNPPC has worse range and diminishing damage over range in TT. ER PPC's have no min range either, so not seeing too many issues with that.

Personally I'm hoping for Light PPC's. Same range at the PPC, same min range, half the damage and 3 tons. I have a few 'mechs jonesing for those. In TT they obsolete AC5's hard, but in MWO AC's have better fire rates, so...fingers crossed...

#12 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

it's already been revealed, so yeah, probably in the game.

It also has a massively shorter maximum range.

Where/when was this revealed? The only thing I've seen so far is Heavy Machine Guns.

#13 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostAppogee, on 12 March 2017 - 04:45 AM, said:

Am I completely satisfied with the skill tree? No
Would I have prefered more of a "role" for each class? Yes
Can I nevertheless live with it? Yes

I am sorry that I can put the skill tree issue -at least for myself - ad acta for the time being.

And sure I am interested in new stuff and how it possibly affects gameplay. You know PGI can screw that up as well! ;););) Therefore:
Posted Image

#14 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostChados, on 12 March 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

A Kodiak 3 with four HAG40s. Could that even happen? There has to be *some* kind of drawback to that loadout. The best way to deal with a dakkabear is to pound it with LRMs from behind cover, in my opinion.

Nope, it cannot happen. HAG40s are 10 slots, 16 tons each.. there are not 20 slots in a ST, and 64 tons of guns before ammo is completely unreasonable even if there was a mech with 1/1/1/1 B slots that could mount it (Dire cant due to locked DHS in STs).

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Given that in lore the SnPPC has damage drop off at range (as well as weird range brackets), it will likely have a max range of only 1.5 times the listed optimum and have rapidly scaling damage drop off past optimum.

Still, 10 points of ammo independent PPFLD at brawling range for 10 heat, 6 tons, and 2 crits isn't too bad. Only problem I see is that it will be a flash in the pan, popular when new, then it will disappear except for a few brawler/skirmisher builds (Atlas and Locust come to mind). The mid to long range hide-n-poke meta will not likely be disrupted.

#16 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:45 AM

View PostEscef, on 12 March 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Given that in lore the SnPPC has damage drop off at range (as well as weird range brackets), it will likely have a max range of only 1.5 times the listed optimum and have rapidly scaling damage drop off past optimum.

Still, 10 points of ammo independent PPFLD at brawling range for 10 heat, 6 tons, and 2 crits isn't too bad. Only problem I see is that it will be a flash in the pan, popular when new, then it will disappear except for a few brawler/skirmisher builds (Atlas and Locust come to mind). The mid to long range hide-n-poke meta will not likely be disrupted.

Yeah, though some mechs would definitely benefit from the swap (Panthers could really use 2 extra tons and slots on the twin PPC build, and losing min range would also be a blessing, for example). Another thing is that ghost heat limits are unknown. Giving it a GH limit of 3 for example would definitely mean it saw use.

Personally im more interested in the plasma rifle than anything else .. it needs ammo and is just as hot, but ramping up opponent heat is a very interesting feature for a weapon with some real range, would open some interesting builds and team strategies imo.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 12 March 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#17 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 12 March 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

Yeah, though some mechs would definitely benefit from the swap (Panthers could really use 2 extra tons and slots on the twin PPC build, and losing min range would also be a blessing, for example). Another thing is that ghost heat limits are unknown. Giving it a GH limit of 3 for example would definitely mean it saw use.

Personally im more interested in the plasma rifle than anything else .. it needs ammo and is just as hot, but ramping up opponent heat is a very interesting feature for a weapon with some real range, would open some interesting builds and team strategies imo.

Plasma Rifle will just be the last nail in the coffin of brawling. Why? Peek-a-boo warriors can afford of being hit. They can just hide again and cool down. A brawler will be a sitting duck and has to pull out while taking shots.

#18 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

View PostChados, on 12 March 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

SN-PPCs will be a good thing for some of the IS energy brawlers with native PPC quirks that aren't losing the quirks.

I still think that the tech jump might go a ways toward evening out some of the IS/Clan balance issues. I've thought that for a long time now. It'll be ultra ACs and ER lasers for everyone, SNPPCs for midrange IS energy brawlers, MRMs to offset Clan missiles, and both HAGs and rACs to be the new dakka everyone Must Carry.

PGI could have salved the clan balance issues by giving the clan and IS weapons the same damage values and reducing clan weapon ranges. Also giving the C ER PPC, and LRM, a min range. But hay Clan fan boys demand that their stuff is better because "lore".

I honestly do not know much about the Snub PPC. I dont like playing with any tech past T2. Clan stuff is only intersting when it's clan v clan on the table top for me.

If PGI needs to add weapons to balance the game between Clan and IS then it will not fix any thing. THe problem exist with the core weapons.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostAgent1190, on 12 March 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

Where/when was this revealed? The only thing I've seen so far is Heavy Machine Guns.

https://mwomercs.com...93#entry5645693

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users