Supernova Vs Mad Cat Mk Ii

14 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have two simple questions. First. How is the Supernova? Does she spread damage well? Is she sturdy? Are the mounts high relative to the cockpit? Second. How will she compare to the Mad Cat MK II?

#2 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Having run the Mad Cat MK II extensively this July I can honestly say they are both good.

#3 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

View Postjjm1, on 07 June 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Having run the Mad Cat MK II extensively this July I can honestly say they are both good.

Yeah but I'm rather surprised it got such amazing structure quirks. I guess it's to compensate it having the agility of a Dire Wolf.

#4 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Are that that few pilots? We're already in August! We've had plenty of time to play the Supernova for C-bills and the recently released Mad Cat MK II! Posted Image

I guess the latest controversial [REDACTED] change by PGI has really driven away the remaining players. The forums are a landfill fire!

Edited by cazidin, 07 June 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#5 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Supernova is barely more agile than a dire wolf, and that doesn't really cut it for solo dropping unless you're up for hosing scrubs all match with cERLL and hoping there isn't a good commando pilot on the enemy team.

The supernova C is easily the best variant outside of the hero thanks to its 4 high mounts. I liked the 4 LPL and 4 SPL backup in the arms but that agility really hurts. The supernova 1 might replace the Marauder IIC for standard clan laser vomit (2LPL + 6ERML) if it gets overnerfed due to its highish agility for the weight class and the small but appreciated laser duration quirk.

Spoiler

Edited by Snazzy Dragon, 07 June 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#6 Chuck B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

I wasn't really surprised the MK II has the agility of a cyclop's but I'll take it, helps deal with that horrible torso twist range,.The skill trell helped abit, but I almost have to be proactive in spreading incoming fire. Boy the damage I can throw down range is nice. I wasn't expected a -50% Gauss charge up time quirk on the MKII 1. It almost made the Gauss riffle usable for me.

Edited by Chuck B, 07 June 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#7 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

View Postjjm1, on 07 June 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

It took me entirely too long to realize this was sarcasm.

#8 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Have the ultimate pack for Supernovas (don't judge me Posted Image ). The most obvious thing to point out is that it has a low engine cap and is generally sluggish, but with Max Engine and Speed Tweak, it can hit 62kph (and the SNV has soo much available tonnage that you'll generally have spare tonnage for the engine upgrade after). There's a few stand out variants.

-SNV-3 is a solid zombie assault. With 2 CT Energy and 1 Head Energy hardpoint, if you keep the SNV with a standard, this thing can put out solid damage having lost both STs. I went with a 7 MPL build and 320 STD (1 engine below max) with mine and the zombie factor definitely worked in my favor a number of times. Also a STD engine doesn't have heat penalties with ST loss compared to the XL.

-SNV-A Is a solid LRM boat if that's your thing. I've ran LRM+A 80 with a max XL engine, 3 ML, and a Tag and it runs cool (just fire the LRMs in 2s). Even if you don't like LRMs, you can throw 4x SRM6+As and for my build I went 2LPL and 2ML and again Max XL with as many heatsinks as it can fit. Runs Cool. Also a thing to consider is the ATMs arrival in July, with high cockpit level and tightly clustered missile HPs, it could be solid.

-SNV-BR The hero mech mirrors the HPs of the KGC (although short 2 Ballistic HPs in each arm), and is the only SNV with ballistic hard points. There's a number of builds this variant can use. From the meta 2 Gauss + 2 ER PPC, 2 a skirmisher build with UAC10s (or 20s if you want that KGC experience) that can field 3 Energy and/or 3 Missile weapons that make this mech very flexible in builds for whatever play style you want.

The others all generally seem to be a bit meh, although the SNV-1, SNV-B, and SNV-C have 1 more energy hard point than the SNV-3, they feature them heavily in the arms (SNV-1 and SNV-B ). You could make an argument for the SNV-C in that it spreads the Energy HPs with 2 in each arm and 2 in each ST and the ST mounts are just a smidge below cockpit level (The cockpit being on the very top of the mech) if you want that extra Energy HP. The Arms are bit low slung for my liking so I'm not a fan of the SNV-1 and SNV-B.

Edited by Funzo, 07 June 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

I bought one SNV and liked it enough to grab the $20 pack today (figured I could use the premium time and save myself some C-bill grind time buy just buying them for cash).

My personal evaluation is that are surprisingly good and potentially very powerful. Their one, big flaw is there speed but they are much more agile than any of the 100 ton mechs in the game right now, have surprisingly decent torso twist speed and seem to have a good twist range as well. It has a semi big CT but it can soak a pretty amazing amount of damage if you torso twist alot. The JJ are worthless in my opinion which is fine because stripping them gives you alot more tonnage for DHS and your going to need them on this mech because it is going to likely run hot. You can however come up with some crazy builds you wouldn't put on another mech like 2 x ER PPC and 3 x ER LL, or Quad LRM15+A and Quad ER ML or Quad LPLs, Quad ER SLs and all those crazy build pack a real punch. Also this is the only Clan mech were I use mostly Standard Engines. 300 Standards seem to be a prefect fit for most builds and that also adds to the durability because you don't lose performance when you lose a ST.

My favorites so far at the SNV-A because it makes LRM boating fun and I usually hate using LRMs. I am also excited to see what this mech can do with Quad ATM 9s or 12s come July. I also like the SNV-C because of the 4 high mounted Energy Hardpoints very near to top of the mech. You only expose a tiny bit of your mech to use weapons in these mounts. The other variants are ok but I feel they concentrate too much in the arms which are very low slung and require you to expose alot of mech to use them. Don't get me wrong they are still good and powerful, however they tend to take alot more damage as you try to bring those low mounts to use.

As far as compared to the Mad Cat II, whelp July isn't hear yet however, I suspect the Mad Cat II will be typically regarded as superior in most configurations. The reason is that you can mount up to a 400 engine in the Mad Cat II which overcomes the only flaw of the Supernova, its poor speed. I also expect it to have slightly better hitboxes as long as you forego mounting missiles on your Mad Cat II. Still, to get that speed, you have to give up something and that something is usually firepower so your likely going to be trading a bit of firepower for speed with the Mad Cat II. On the other hand, since the Mad Cat II is also a Battlemech, you could theoretically drop in a smaller engine and utilize the tonnage for weapons and match the Supernova but I doubt if anyone will actually do that since speed is probably a bigger advantage than an extra 10 points of damage per alpha.

#10 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

Mad Cat Mk2 > Marauder IIC > Urbanmech > Supernova.

#11 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

Only thing the Super Nova is better at....

6x ERLL turret
4x LRM20 turret

Edited by CK16, 07 June 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#12 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

Well, the SNV will do pure 2+6 laser vomit while the Mk. II only gets six energy hardpoints, so the SNV will have its niche (especially once the MAD-IIC gets nerfed - we all know PGI is gonna overdo it and kill it). The Mk. II basically does everything else the SNV can, I guess, while being more flexible...

#13 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:14 AM

The Supernova is of course inherently better because it's not the other mech. Posted Image

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:47 AM

Supernova is Super-ior, because inside source of PGI had told me they are buffing CERLL.

#15 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 June 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Supernova is Super-ior, because inside source of PGI had told me they are buffing CERLL.

Buff. Clan anything.

Pick one :-P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users