So, Does The Prize Pool Go Down This Year In Mwwc? (Also, Invite Fee)

11 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:02 AM

Last year, there was an early fundraiser to sell 10 dollars 10% cbill bonus pack.

The end result is a prize pool that's pretty decent for a niche game with limited audience.

So far, no news of any fundraising has been released. And remember, those "bonus incentives" decrease in value as the amount of usable time decrease. (and it's decreasing quite rapidly)

So what's the deal? Is PGI just going to front the entire prize pool this time? Or do they think the prize incentive was too good last year?

Cause honestly, even if it was (and there is no argument that it literally was one of the best 10 dollars that I've ever spent), why are you guys so obsessed with "fair value" that you can't just let customers have nice things?

(like the kdk marauder nerf... who [Redacted] cares? If you think it's too much of a power creep, bring others up. No one will complain if you decide to give Zeus +40 CT armor. Also, news flash, in my recent thread unofficial ranking poll... MOST PEOPLE BUY MECHS BECAUSE THEY LOOK AWESOME. So you can nerf KDK and Marauder to the ground, but no one is still going to use a Zeus cause they look [Redacted] ugly.)

Of course, if that's not your intention, then....

WHAT'S THE DEAL, MAN?

--------------

Also, I like the competitive ladder in that it's more... voluntary in terms of not forcing people to play 150 games in 3 months and kill the player base. However, I do want to raise a side issue...

To be included in the final 12, you pretty much have to play exclusive. EMP, SJR, 228, D5.... those team will probably play as it's more interesting for them (or they rather club seals, I don't know their mindset, I can only guesstimate). I think for those exclusive comp units, it doesn't matter if 12 players decide to do this or that. They can honestly do whatever they want because of how cohesive (and small) they are.

But for generalist units, (my unit, for example) we are going to run into the problem of player division.

Maybe 8 guys here want to try comp (we are realistic about our chances, but would be fun to "participate"), maybe 8 more guys want to QP... and 10 guys want to faction... and you run into a problem real quick that there's simply NOT ENOUGH recurring players, and the unit fractures.

The solution is obvious... recruit more guys. But, with the anti-MS restriction in place from last year, the scaled invite cost is murdering a lot of units. But I feel, there is a need for generalist units out there.

We need HHOD. We need FFR HUB (and honestly, they died)... After experimenting with the MS rule for one year, my conclusion is that... it's just terribad. I know a lot of us like to rub MS and poke fun at them of their enormous 400 player base, but they do serve a purpose. Generalist units should be free to expand and consolidate. Let's just waive the invite fee.

We are competing against the same faces all the time now anyhow. So why so persistent on whether the unit tag is the same or different? Go back to early 2016 and let everything return to how it should be. We need to start recognizing that large size gaming community is not a bad thing. They are not holding you hostage. Cause, you murdered them. They no longer play... and BAM, it's financial loss for you anyways.

It sucks when you don't have 5 million player base and all decisions are going to have downside... it's like almost lose/lose situation. I understand that. But let's just weigh on the reality and adjust accordingly. Some losses are frankly far more bearable.

Edited by draiocht, 05 June 2018 - 01:43 AM.
inappropriate language

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

You presume there will be another cash prize?

PGI can't afford that.

Would you like to buy a mechpack?

#3 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'd like to see the money invested in the game not "e-sports"!

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

I hope they give something to the other 9 teams this year.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

2017 tournament supporter pack mentioned in the Roadmap

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 17 June 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#6 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 17 June 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Attach also removes engine decoupling mistake of 2017 and I'll buy a pack!

#7 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Didn't PGI sell their art to HBS in exchange for them putting up the money for the tournament?

Either way I hope they do the 10% c-bill bonus again. If only I had the cash to the get the ultimate pack of each mech so I could get the cockpit c-bill bonus items. That's another 10%. Plus hero bonus 35%. Plus 50% premium time. 105% more c-bills per match :o

#8 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 17 June 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

That's the thing though. I bought mine last year in February and got 10 months out of it. It was a fantastic deal back then. If they offer now? It would be a great deal, but certainly not as enticing as it would be in February. You see where I'm going with this? As I mentioned, these things lose value as time drags on. Why is PGI even shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing a fantastic deal that literally everyone not insane will buy in a timely fashion to maximize profit?

Is it just to spite us?

Think about this... By July August when new tech kicks in and most people no longer have premium time income due to not spend8ng money on the worst deal ever in collector pack... How will they weigh this? Well, they got enough chill from refund, and 10% is a miserable bonus without being synergized with premium time. So, why bother then? The draw and appeal us certainly gone.

It's like in poker, good players always play odd bets like 35 cents or 65 cents. They want to lure or bully people out. PGI needs to realize that like those hands, 10% is not additive, it's synergistic.

Tick tock, PGI. Tick tock

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

this year theres going to be a reverse cash prize

if you win you pay PGI $100,000

#10 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostKhobai, on 17 June 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

this year theres going to be a reverse cash prize

if you win you pay PGI $100,000

I hope EMP saved their winning from last year then. Wait, would their prize money from last year even cover this?

#11 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:55 PM

i guess nobody of the guys in this threat are present in mwo anymore to comment on the prize money of 2018 MWOWC. Posted Image

I will describe the impression i get in a funny way:

2016/2017 MWOWC was like a rock´n roll superstar in his most famous years.
Going over the top like there is no tommorow.Living the dream and reaching for the stars.
Saying [Redacted]

It seems 2018 is the time of waking up [Redacted] and the presidential suite lays in ruins.

*sry coudnt resist

no, really... PGI really was giving back to the playerbase a fair share of what came in in 2016/2017.It´s the unique way of this company to treat their playerbase.They showed this
at this time once again.I hope enough people will give them credit for their attitude by showing up in Vancouver this year because this game developers have constantly giving back after they took.
Thats not a common practice in Free2Play titles.

Edited by draiocht, 05 June 2018 - 01:34 AM.
inappropriate language & references

#12 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:58 AM

[mod]As the original topic was speculating on what is now a past MWOWC,
this thread has been moved to
Kaetetôã.

Please move discussion on the upcoming MWOWC to relevantly recent threads.[/mod]

Edited by draiocht, 05 June 2018 - 01:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users