My Civil War Pts Feedback

5 replies to this topic

#1 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

I started out testing the ATMs for the Clan.

Minimum range 180m. Optimal range 270. 270-480 seems to be where these might be effective. Missile speed extremely slow. Spread looks good but the flight time is going to make stuff that is peeking at range impossible to hit. AMS is going to eat these things up.

Edit: I was hoping that ATMs would be a Swiss Army Knife type of weapon. Not deadly in a fight but useful in all situations. Normally, I do not use missiles due to all of them being pretty one dimensional. SSRMs good against Lights but nothing else. SRMs good for a brawl but otherwise useless. LRMs useful for a support role but just barely.

Sadly, after my initial testing, I just do not see myself using ATMs. I understand that PGI does not want them to obsolete the other missiles but.....

180 minimum range is too restrictive.
160M is too slow for a mid-ranged weapon
ATMs should have a flat trajectory. They should be LOS only with lock.
If those were fixed I would be OK with the spread and the steps in damage.

CLAN:

Tested Micro ER Lasers on a 10 laser Viper Medusa with Viper-A side torsos. Even before the Laser re-balance I did not use Clan SPLs. From Optimal range of 169m I was able to Alpha all 10 3 times before getting a heat warning and then alternate 5/5 to kill the Catapult of Terra Therma Testing Grounds. The burn time is short and the cooldown time is short enough that these could be decent backstabbing build and good against other Lights at brawling range.

My Medusa was already skilled out for erSL and SRM-6. I dropped the missile skill nodes and added 2 heat gen nodes. I could not get to additional ranged nodes or I would have taken them. Max range was 340 M and 170 was optimum. I could use the C chassis and the A ST with the Medusa arms to get 11 energy. That would max out at a 28.5 Alpha which could be done 3 times before shutdown.

I would recommend raising the damage to 3 but then you look at the weight at .25 tons and realize that that would equate to a 10 damage weapon for 1 ton with the limitation being range and the number of availabe slots. Time to try this on a Nova with 14 energy slots.

EDIT: I had a go with the Nova. 14 micro erlasers leave you lacking for damage and with a lot of tonnage left for more heatsinks than you need and AMS ammo. I think that the use for these might be for filler to get extra damage and use up slots when low on tonnage. The problem is that they have a GH limit of 8 but when you combine them with another type of small or medium laser then it drops to 6. After experimenting with the Nova for a while, I hit on a build that had pretty good synergy and only a bit of GH per shot. However, I do not think it is superior to what I am running on the LIVE server now so I will probably not change. I think, I will only use these to fill energy slots and use tonnage on mixed builds unless they get a damage bump. Moving on.

EDIT: Heavy Large Lasers - will not be using these with current stats. Nice damage but you will never be able to put it in one or even two locations with that burn duration. Heat is also too high for what you are getting. Recommend drop damage to 15, drop heat to 15 and lower duration to 1.5 (which is still a long time). As it is, it just will not work on anything I currently run. I may come back to this later to try to find a way to make it work in some capacity.

EDIT: Heavy Machine Gun - Seems no better or worse than the standard MG. Heavier, shorter range and more damage works out to a wash. I did not kill the static targets any faster with a Viper-C with 4 of these instead of 4 MG. I did have less cooling ability and ran hotter due to sacrificing heatsinks to fit these. Kind of a sidegrade IMO which is probably what they were designed to be.

IS:

EDIT: Snub Nosed PPC - Tying to find something that is going to work on my Uziels. I used an Enforcer and tried the 4 x Light PPCs and found them very underwhelming. So I switched to 2 x SNPPC and a AC10 and found I could use them although the PPC generate too much heat. I might have to drop all the Survival nodes and put the SPs into Operations instead because the Mech cannot keep up with the heat. It did a decent job at killing Mechs when I was not hiding to cool off.

Edited by Rampage, 28 June 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#2 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Missiles seem to miss, which is strange for guided missiles. Also, I could get damage to register when I dumb-fired them in testing grounds.

#3 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostAgent1190, on 28 June 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Missiles seem to miss, which is strange for guided missiles. Also, I could get damage to register when I dumb-fired them in testing grounds.

I did not see damage under 180m even though the missiles fired.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

ATMs have a minimal range where they don't do any damage.

#5 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostRampage, on 28 June 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

I did not see damage under 180m even though the missiles fired.

View PostNesutizale, on 28 June 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

ATMs have a minimal range where they don't do any damage.

I noticed that early in testing. I therefore did all testing at 203-ish meters line of sight.

#6 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Adding comments, impressions and suggestions to the first post as I go.

So far, have tested ATM, Micro erLasers, Heavy Large Laser, Heavy Machine Gun (Clan), RAC5, RAC2, MRM and IS UACs.

I need to retest the IS UACs because I was getting some really weird jams when firing 2 x UAC5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users