What If Heavy Lasers Were Continuous Burn?

9 replies to this topic

Poll: What If Heavy Lasers Were Continuous Burn? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you use continuous burn heavy lasers as described below?

1. Yes (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. No (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

3. Yes, but with different DPS/Heat balance (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:32 AM

What if the heavy lasers were redone as the clan equivalent to RACs? Given roughly the same damage/tick and slightly reduced heat/tick (as per IS regular lasers) as ER lasers, but will burn for so long as fire button held down, like flamers, even so far as to include the overheat bar flamers have.

This would make them able to deliver higher DPS than current lasers, but the heat generation would be significant. And lower damage/tick than pulse doesn't invalidate pulse, which would offer superior alpha to the heavy laser's facetime DPS.

Would you use this version of heavy lasers?

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:58 AM

No. The heavy large was basicly a lightsaber or kinda what you discribed with the loing burn duration. No one liked the long burn duration so no thanks.

#3 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

I thought a big part of the problem there was the long cooldown that went with it. If you could sustain damage as long as heat held out, and could shut beam off as soon as target broke LoS, and fire again right away after that, it'd be better, wouldn't it?

Edited by Gryphorim, 01 July 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#4 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:20 AM

Better yes but also quite strong. Beside that I wouldn't know why I should install different sizes beside the heavy large.
I could twist and shoot so freaquently with that, that other lasers would be at a disadvantage.

#5 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:35 AM

I think it's a good idea. You'll be able to fire when and for how long you want without going through 1.45 sec burn time and paying full heat cost upfront. Stll, damage per tick should probably be calculated using current burn times. Heat also should be high enough. At least it's something I would test to see how it works.

Edited by kapusta11, 01 July 2017 - 04:36 AM.

#6 SOL Ranger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationEndor, exterminating little evil bear people for the Empire.

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:53 AM

I always wanted beam lasers.

#7 Odhinnson

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

I'd dig it, It would make sense, eliminate the CD altogether, could make for some interesting build chices

#8 phoboskomboa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

I'm totally for this, if they keep a short build up time, maybe escalating damage and heat for the first 0.5 to 1 second of burn (depending on size) until it's at full intensity.

The biggest problem with heavy lasers in my opinion is that they don't bring anything new. Clans already had a saturation of lasers. I think what the heavies need most to set them apart is a new mechanic.

#9 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:53 PM

Having a ramp-up time, like RAC spin-up, would also give some purpose to HML and HSL, compared to HLL. Smaller lasers could ramp to max damage quicker, meaning builds with many could get to max damage quicker, but at proportionally more heat, while HLL would have a slower ramp up/ cooloff time, but achieve peak damage at higher heat efficiency per damage.

#10 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

That sounds more like MW3 pulse lasers.

I would prefer Heavy Lasers to be standard lasers with brighter beams, bigger damage and heat, but they cancel out your mechs targeting system while in use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users