Machine Guns, Does Velocity Effect Them?

13 replies to this topic

#1 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

Question is as the name implies :P
Do velocity skills/quirks effect machineguns in any positive way?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

Nope. MGs are hitscan, which means they are instant hit.

#3 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

Now, isn't that special........

Thanks EL........ I hope you're wrong but I guess, you aren't......as usual. (mumble, mumble, mumble....)

Let's see, the entire game has velocity tied to Skill Points; every nerf, buff, change, patch, balance pass; and, tactical computers and yet, MG's aren't included???

Why the heck not.......... Good grief, no wonder we can't seem to be consistant..............

#4 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

I think I recall hearing that once upon a time they were projectiles (early beta?), but the object tracking of hundreds of individual bullets was creating horrific issues with the netcode. As such, they quietly changed it over to hitscan.

#5 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:36 AM

Yeah, MGs have tracers but you hit what you're aiming at instantly anyway. Check it out in the Testing Ground by shooting at something 200m away and see that the dust kicks up or the mech registers damage *before* the tracers get there. Velocity doesn't affect them, though it'd be interesting to see it convert to a RoF. Of course, it'd be interesting if the entire Skill Tree was actually not just a web of necessary nodes to get to the prizes at the end, but that's just my opinion... ;)

#mistlynx4life

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

Which would be why the two MG quirks you see are rate of fire, and range but no velocity.

Rate of fire probably just ups the damage by 20% (the % in most cases)

Edited by JackalBeast, 04 October 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#7 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

Well since our bullets magically stop traveling forward after a few hundred meters, extending the range 'technically' increases the velocity, since it reaches it's limit at a further distance in the same amount of time.

Dum da dumb dumb dumb...

#8 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostZacharyJ, on 04 October 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

Well since our bullets magically stop traveling forward after a few hundred meters, extending the range 'technically' increases the velocity, since it reaches it's limit at a further distance in the same amount of time.

80m/0s and 300m/0s are technically the same velocity Posted Image

#9 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:25 AM

There really should be rate of fire quirks baked into along with the cooldown nodes.

OR have ROF MG specific quirk nodes. The flamer got uniqe specific nodes for it, why couldnt the machine guns get something similar? Like upping the rate of fire by 30 % each or something, if they do %.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

View PostTordin, on 04 October 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

There really should be rate of fire quirks baked into along with the cooldown nodes.

OR have ROF MG specific quirk nodes. The flamer got uniqe specific nodes for it, why couldnt the machine guns get something similar? Like upping the rate of fire by 30 % each or something, if they do %.

Thing is, Clans can boat 8 of them already and 12 MG Piranha is gonna hit the market soon. 30% RoF would be bonkers.

#11 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, maybe a bit too much, maybe a total of 10 % per node. Cant have the criers who cant adopt against a 20 t mg boat (or any crit/mg boater) influence PGI to curbstomp the machine gun class by nerfing them into oblivion. Thats the one thing I get most upset and facepalming myself about. Pilots due to their own incompetence and or lack of training make sure otherwise underperforming mechs/ weapons/ equipment gets hammered HARD for myabe never to be useful again.

It took YEARS before the standard MG we have now, got more useful. Think it was last year in a spring/ summer patch that the MG got its cone of fire reduced by 60%. I almost got an heart attack!

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostTordin, on 04 October 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yeah, maybe a bit too much, maybe a total of 10 % per node. Cant have the criers who cant adopt against a 20 t mg boat (or any crit/mg boater) influence PGI to curbstomp the machine gun class by nerfing them into oblivion. Thats the one thing I get most upset and facepalming myself about. Pilots due to their own incompetence and or lack of training make sure otherwise underperforming mechs/ weapons/ equipment gets hammered HARD for myabe never to be useful again.

It took YEARS before the standard MG we have now, got more useful. Think it was last year in a spring/ summer patch that the MG got its cone of fire reduced by 60%. I almost got an heart attack!

Thing is, MGs are pretty un-fun weapon system. I had my weapons stripped by them in less than a second--literally few grazes, and all of my torsi weapons (4xSRM6s) were destroyed. My back was open due to a strike but otherwise my mech was at 93%. It is pretty damn stupid to walk around without any weapons at 93%. I personally think the critting part should be reduced and damage part should be increased for MGs--just so it would become less situational.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 October 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#13 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

Hmm. Well okay. The range should be untouched, same for crit chance regarding the MG.
What I would change?

Revert the changes for the LMG
Buff the MG dmg/ s from 1.0 dmg/ s to 1.4 dmg/s. Which is the dmg the HMG have now.
THEN buff the HMG dmg from 1.4 to 2.8.

The HMG are riskier to use due to its short range. Doubling its dmg should be very useful. Also the HMG while still being a crit weapon, favors dmg over critting of the three variants.

It might be beyond annoying and un-fun to get your weapons murdercritted. But that part of what makes them useful and/ or as no heat dmg weapons besides the critting part. Especially for the MG nad HMG.
I wont complain if I get murdercritted, I will adapt and overcome such, force myself to become a better pilot. To find a way to deal with the critters.

Edited by Tordin, 04 October 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#14 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Treat them as lasers that never turn off and fire in a small cone (so you wont actually hit 100% on target past ~100m).

I dont know how hard itd be for PGI to do (they have garnered a reputation for being unable to program a good deal of cool stuff that should have been in game, ammo switching, ect), but even setting their velocity to super high would help make the projectiles less distracting/annoying and make them sorta be more akin to hitscan. I thing something like 1000-2000m/s velocity would make them appear hitscan (many other games with hitscan weapons use super fast tracers which dont ruin immersion, they just need to incredibly fast flying).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users