Trading 1V1.5 --Is It Worth It?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Due to ammunition restriction, my MystLynx-G can never kill more than 1.5 mechs. Should I go for more longetivity?

I use 8xHMG, and 2xFlamers. My best bet tend to be hunting down Lights who try to attack our Assault (easy kill), or go out to hunt for a medium. Dual-Flamer + HMGs is nearly a guaranteed kill for 1 Light/Medium/LRM boat Heavy. But with my setup, I'd be crap out of ammo after killing 1 mech and crippling another. At that point I'm reduced to being a radar beacon with some CC ability on laser boats.

Is this build worth it? What can I do to be more useful to my team?

#2 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

Okay. That's an interesting build but if you're regularly trading like that with it... you're going to *have* to try these other builds. First off, this is all my opinion. I have days' worth of drop time in Mist Lynxes but every pilot is different. Secondly, I don't typically hunt Lights or Mediums (though protecting your buddies is important and definitely worth my time as well) - I go for bigger fish and I usually catch them. Longevity is definitely a problem and I haven't found the HMGs to be worth the tonnage. I also haven't found the LMGs to be of much use simply because I engage inside regular MG range anyway and I don't like to count on open components for those criticals. I want to make my own and the MG is still the best at this. For a long time I was running the smaller build in this picture with great success - the two ER Mediums really add to your utility if and when you lose your arms. It's also nice in a game where you're sticking with your teammates for a bit (Reds might be out of MG range but a higher-mounted 14dmg with a couple hundred meter range is nothing to sneeze at) or need to destroy turrets. I'm always tinkering however, and I've really taken a liking to the main build featured here. The MGs group well with the Micro Lasers and help save ammunition when I'm chewing through armor and I still have some range in the torso... with even more ammo. I don't run out of ammo like I used to.

Playstyle/tactics is a big part of the Mist Lynx. You're not strong enough in the traditional categories to adopt those tactics with reliable success (not the fastest, strongest, most durable, etc.) so you have to bank on your reputation as an easy kill and do the unexpected. Obviously staring down a Streak Crow is not optimal, so avoid that, but you *do* have the agility to dance circles around most 'mechs up-close. I've tied up entire lances for up to a full minute just dancing around them while they're all clamoring for the easy kill... unaware that I've mentioned this to my very eager teammates over voip who are more than willing to come blast them all away for not paying attention. Again, this is my opinion, but I think *this* is the biggest contribution you can give your team - you're a walking, flying distraction. Definitely get the damage in when you can - and with practice you absolutely will - but a Lynx with 8MGs turns everyone's head, even those with fresh armor. Flank around and open fire on, say, a LRMer or sniper or even just rip into a slower brawler headed to the front lines and you'll almost certainly earn a Light or two on your tail... which brings them off your buddies. Nothing beats the feeling of pushing on an Assault 'mech until it backs up into a wall, leaving and letting it think you've given up, and then running back ten seconds later to continue harassing.

Disembodied spirits of those you slay will claim the MLX-G is 'Easy Mode' but it's not. It's squishy and ammo-dependent and easy prey for most other Lights and some Mediums and, since it's now fairly popular, it's weaknesses are known across the battlefield. I could gush forever about the Lynxes, and I will if you have more questions or want to see more builds and such, but those are the first thoughts that come to mind. Hope they help!

Happy Gaming! Posted Image
#mistlynx4life

P.S. You could probably shave armor off that LT and fit even more ammo in the legs but I'm superstitious and don't like to store ammo in the place where I know a lot of veteran pilots are going to be shooting and I really hesitate to bring less-than-maximum armor in my other components in this chassis.

Posted Image

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Shaving for tons is necessary in the MLX - I’d second the switch to regular flavored MG’s and at least one real laser.

#4 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

In my experience HMGs are not worth it. Not only the weapon weights twice as much as the other MGs, it's main drawback is the limited ammo per ton (only 1000 compared to 2000 or 2500). In my eyes the low ammo kills the weapon for most mechs and especially those that could boat them best. Posted Image

Another factor is that HMGs do crit slightly worse than standard MGs. With their higher base damage added they still do more dps against structure than standard MGs but the gap is not that large as it is against armor. HMGs are only much better against armor, but with lighter MGs you have tonnage left for lasers to do the armor-shaving.

So for your playstyle i would choose standard MGs together with lasers and flamers like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1714d210c93ff2e

You got more ammo, more range, better armor shaving and internal damage with the lasers and a backup weapon when ammo runs dry or both arms are gone (which happens a lot against decent players).
And of cause you can go full flamers or lasers if you want either more overheating or faster killing.

Edited by Daggett, 17 November 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

There's never a reason to use the HMGs on light mechs. They have much shorter range than the other options and weight twice as much and their ammo has like half the rounds per box. HMGs also get the lowest crit rates so they're about equal to regular MGs once armor is gone.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b8427946d66a541

You could pretty much have your same build but with some extra ammo and a couple small lasers added on so you still do some damage after running out of ammo. The lasers could be used to open up someone's rear armor then you shoot them with the flamers and MGs, critting them and making it harder for them to fire back at you due to the flamers.

#6 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Lol, looks like we both had the same build in mind. Posted Image

However it's not the HMGs that got the worst crit damage, it's the LMG (at least according to smurfy).

And if HMGs or their ammo would weight less, i think lights would be the best class for them because they can get within range reliably and can also zip away quickly when they get too much attention. With slower mechs you need some luck to be able to use the HMGs. Maybe a Shadowcat would work, it also has enough tonnage for the HMGs.

Edited by Daggett, 17 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users