Three Simple, Helpful Tweaks To Psr & Matchmaking To Help Everyone...

11 replies to this topic

#1 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 04:11 PM

The following suggestions will help everyone to have better games, and to find those games more quickly. #1 is the most important to do quickly.

1) Boost the PSR change multiplier (equally both up and down) per game: Because PSR changes so slowly, it's taking a long time for people to shift out of Tier 3 (both up and down), as shown by PGI's data. So, matchmaking for Tier 5, 4, 2, and 1 all are taking longer because those tiers have very few people in them still. Boosting the PSR delta per game will get people into the right tiers faster -- increasing by 2x or 3x even should be fine. (Too much boost leads to inaccuracy, but the current levels are far from introducing that problem.)

2) Reduce damage's contribution to PSR to 40% (from 50%): This small adjustment will help PSR weight more contributions to wins than just damage.

3) Add a matchmaker release valve to allow 8v8 when it can't find enough players for 12v12. This will reduce wait times, and keep people from leaving the game due to impatience -- critically important, as a loss of population will make matchmaking even worse.

Hopefully PGI will do at least #1 promptly as it will help everyone!

Edited by AjerWerklWerkl, 19 July 2020 - 07:32 AM.

#2 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 18 July 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

The following suggestions will help everyone to have better games, and to find those games more quickly. #1 is the most important to do quickly.

no thanks, the current system works fine
the first tier should only contain players with a good skill of play

#3 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:56 PM

View PostRkshz, on 18 July 2020 - 07:31 PM, said:

no thanks, the current system works fine
the first tier should only contain players with a good skill of play

And that's related to what he suggested, how?

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Wouldn't hurt to increase the rate of movement by 2x or 5x even. Could be turned off after enough people get to T1 and T5.

#5 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

View PostTier5 Kerensky, on 18 July 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

And that's related to what he suggested, how?

any PSR boost will kill natural selection

#6 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 03:16 AM

View PostRkshz, on 18 July 2020 - 09:12 PM, said:

any PSR boost will kill natural selection

I already kinda asked this, how exactly? Explain the mechanic.

It's just an acceleration of what would happen anyway. It has nothing to do with for example the cadet "PSR boost" used in first 10 matches in the old system. That old system was one of linear positive progression, it was extremely difficult to lose PSR points in long run/on average.

If a player reaches tier 1 in 150, or in 30 matches, what's the actual difference? To do that, they will need to win at some rate, and score high enough match score on average, to do it. If they don't win enough, or if they don't get high enough match score, they can temporarely overshoot it by having bunch of "lucky" matches in row, but they will equally fast drop back to where their wins and matchscores would land them anyway.

#7 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

View PostAjerWerklWerkl, on 18 July 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

3) Add a matchmaker release valve to allow 8v8 when it can't find enough players for 12v12. This will reduce wait times, and keep people from leaving the game due to impatience -- critically important, as a loss of population will make matchmaking even worse.

Hopefully PGI will do at least #1 promptly as it will help everyone!

I'm against any matchmaking suggestion that doesn't involve de-merge of queues ending in a separated solo queue and group queue.

Everything else is just putting a bandaid on a torn artery and transferring the source other factors rather than addressing the root of the issue.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 19 July 2020 - 07:11 AM.

#8 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

@Tier5 Kerensky: I think @Rkshz is getting stuck on the word "boost", which he's interpreting to mean "boost upward" despite clear explanations from both you and me, IMHO. (I'll adjust the original post wording to clarify for others who may misinterpret.)

@Nightbird: Totally agree... at some point the boost becomes so large that statistically it's inaccurate, but we are FAR from there. So I'd push for something like 3x to start with. Also, I've seen you in a bunch of drops and it's been a pleasure to play alongside! (Sorry for when I'm AFK or late to the fight because I have alt-tabbed away due to matchmaker slowness!)

@OneTeamPlayer: Agreed re: separating solo & group. I agree with you, but that's a more complex topic that's already been debated a lot, and decided by PGI for now. Increasing PSR adjustment boost is hopefully something everyone can very easily agree on, and PGI can trivially implement without delay and debate...

P.S. If anyone wants to tweet the simple idea of increasing PSR adjustment amounts to Russ and Paul at PGI, that would help all of us get quality matches faster... Thank you for considering!

Edited by AjerWerklWerkl, 19 July 2020 - 07:46 AM.

#9 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:27 AM

In the original plan pgi said, they want to weight the first 20? matches higher. They prob forgot where the freaking button is, to activate this function.

#10 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:13 AM

Haha yeah... for some reason they decided not to do it. But now that they've seen the distribution (per their own post), speeding up the tier transitions should be a trivial no-brainer!

#11 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 19 July 2020 - 08:27 AM, said:

In the original plan pgi said, they want to weight the first 20? matches higher. They prob forgot where the freaking button is, to activate this function.

Probably wanted to avoid people throwing their seeding matches when making alts. I think its good they left the seeding boost out. Its also good that you can move up and down faster now, though if made even faster that would be good too.

Edited by dario03, 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM.

#12 AjerWerklWerkl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

View Postdario03, on 19 July 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

Probably wanted to avoid people throwing their seeding matches when making alts. I think its good they left the seeding boost out. Its also good that you can move up and down faster now, though if made even faster that would be good too.

Agreed that a seeding boost based on the old PSR didn't make sense. Currently the PSR change amount per win/loss is pretty small... max seems to be about 30 units out of 5000 I think... and that's for a win where you are top matchscore by a large margin. So progress is slow unless you absolutely dominate every game, or you play a ton of games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users