Uac Jam Chance

19 replies to this topic

#1 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:55 AM

Is it normal to experience a UAC Jamming before getting off the second click? I've been experiencing this a lot recently with my little Snowball Urban Mech.

I run a UAC/2 with 4 ER Medium Lasers, and often times, before I'm able to even click a second time, it jams up.

Just wondering if that's a normal occurrence.

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:24 AM

UAC-2? Surely you meant a UAC-10 or 20!

Regarding the jam, yeah, it's normal. I swear there's some bug feature in the jam mechanic where it's tied to your clicks and not the actual firing of the weapon, a laggy connection makes it even worse.

My advice. Click to fire but don't lift off the button until you're ready to fire the second shot, if I click rapidly I find it jams more often than not*. Doing it that way has reduced my jam rate substantially. Should be noted that I now use UAC's to increase my fire rate instead of the usual double-tap.

*Though that could also be because I have a dodgy mouse and it's registering ghost clicks when I lift off.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:29 AM

If you bring your mech to Testing Grounds and fire single shot you will not jam. You won't jam even if you hold down the fire button. The window for double tap is big, so you really might just be pressing without noticing.

I'm guessing if it's hard, just hold down the fire button for single shots.

Edited by Elizander, 14 January 2021 - 06:29 AM.

#4 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:21 AM

View PostElizander, on 14 January 2021 - 06:29 AM, said:

If you bring your mech to Testing Grounds and fire single shot you will not jam. You won't jam even if you hold down the fire button. The window for double tap is big, so you really might just be pressing without noticing.

I'm guessing if it's hard, just hold down the fire button for single shots.

It has happened to me there multiple times as well, I don't find it to be that hindering, since I'm running a UAC2, and it doesn't stay jammed for too long, I just don't think it should be jamming on the first shot.

I might be misclicking? But I doubt it, since my mouse is new, so it shouldn't be ghost clicking, and I usually don't spam click for UAC's.

#5 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 14 January 2021 - 06:24 AM, said:

And just what is wrong with UAC2? Posted Image

#6 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:36 AM

RNGesus doesn't like you. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

In my opinion the jamming on UAC is just not worth using them unless you have like 4+ where you can mitigate the jams.. On a little Urbie i'd suggest dumping it as its hindering you badly.. even machine guns are better than no damage at all..

I really personally do not use UACs and seldom use RACs because of the stupid jam setup here.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:11 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 14 January 2021 - 06:24 AM, said:

Regarding the jam, yeah, it's normal. I swear there's some bug feature in the jam mechanic where it's tied to your clicks and not the actual firing of the weapon, a laggy connection makes it even worse.

My advice. Click to fire but don't lift off the button until you're ready to fire the second shot, if I click rapidly I find it jams more often than not*. Doing it that way has reduced my jam rate substantially. Should be noted that I now use UAC's to increase my fire rate instead of the usual double-tap.

*Though that could also be because I have a dodgy mouse and it's registering ghost clicks when I lift off.

this is actually a pretty effective workaround. slowing down your taps can also help you maintain your aim and you don't get unsolicited jams.

having written a lot of low level debounce code for my various projects, i know how bad it can be in some mice. from the perspective of the mcu in the mouse, it will see a switch jump back and fourth between of and off several times because of high frequency mechanical vibrations in the switch contacts themselves. some mice compensate it in firmware and others add low pass filters to the button output (just a cap and resistor), cheap mice do neither of these things and can be very bouncy, as can worn out tactile switches. i know my mouse has this problem, but its not severe enough to warrant replacing the switch just yet.

#9 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:20 AM

I could swear I've had the ******* things jam BEFORE I've actually tried to fire them.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:51 AM

View PostBowelhacker, on 16 January 2021 - 03:20 AM, said:

I could swear I've had the ******* things jam BEFORE I've actually tried to fire them.

To be honest I feel that way too in actual matches, but in testing grounds they behave as expected.

#11 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 16 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

View PostElizander, on 16 January 2021 - 03:51 AM, said:

To be honest I feel that way too in actual matches, but in testing grounds they behave as expected.

Lag, games probably doing something funky and registering multiple clicks before firing.

#12 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:54 AM

Its not a mouse thing, that's just the way jamming works in this game. If you just hold the button you get a normal fire rate and don't benefit from the faster rate of fire. If you click before the weapon cycles fully there is a % chance of a jam.

Think of the weapon more as a regular AC which has the choice to unload more ammo at the enemy, but at the price of jamming. To be honest you should be double tapping in most situations anyways.

#13 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:01 AM

Yes i've had it happen with UAC2s as well. single first button press jammed.. I've stopped using them due to bugs like that. Seems to be more with UAC2s than others.

Edited by Samial, 17 January 2021 - 07:02 AM.

#14 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:21 AM

View PostSamial, on 17 January 2021 - 07:01 AM, said:

Yes i've had it happen with UAC2s as well. single first button press jammed.. I've stopped using them due to bugs like that. Seems to be more with UAC2s than others.

Its not a bug though. That's just the way UACs work.

Some of the best builds use UACs, to not use them on some principle is a bad choice. Things like the 2xUAC10, 2xUAC5 madcat. 6xUAC2 Rifleman IIC. 1xUAC20, 2xUAC10 BloodAsp etc are some of the most devestating mechs in this game.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 17 January 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:41 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 17 January 2021 - 06:54 AM, said:

Its not a mouse thing, that's just the way jamming works in this game. If you just hold the button you get a normal fire rate and don't benefit from the faster rate of fire. If you click before the weapon cycles fully there is a % chance of a jam.

That's how it's meant to work, the first click jam is likely another form of the rac-macro bug.

If you remember, with the racro you could microclick to maintain the firerate but you would generating less heat and have a reduced jam chance. This was because the game was registering you lifting off between shots.

I suspect the UAC jam bug is likely a variant of this. When you microclick, the game is registering two shots and checking for a jam on the 2nd. However due to a lag/coding feature it is checking for that jam before the shot from the first click has actually fired. When the weapon jams on the second click the weapon is now incapable of firing the first shot.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 17 January 2021 - 07:42 AM.

#16 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:05 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 17 January 2021 - 07:41 AM, said:

That's how it's meant to work, the first click jam is likely another form of the rac-macro bug.

If you remember, with the racro you could microclick to maintain the firerate but you would generating less heat and have a reduced jam chance. This was because the game was registering you lifting off between shots.

I suspect the UAC jam bug is likely a variant of this. When you microclick, the game is registering two shots and checking for a jam on the 2nd. However due to a lag/coding feature it is checking for that jam before the shot from the first click has actually fired. When the weapon jams on the second click the weapon is now incapable of firing the first shot.

So we need to slow down clicking and let the first shot fire?

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

View PostElizander, on 17 January 2021 - 10:05 AM, said:

So we need to slow down clicking and let the first shot fire?

Works for me.

#18 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:30 PM

I have found you have to keep a rhythm with UACs if you jam down on the button they jam more

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:35 PM

I just use RAC 2's instead most of the time.

#20 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:57 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 17 January 2021 - 07:21 AM, said:

Its not a bug though. That's just the way UACs work.

Some of the best builds use UACs, to not use them on some principle is a bad choice. Things like the 2xUAC10, 2xUAC5 madcat. 6xUAC2 Rifleman IIC. 1xUAC20, 2xUAC10 BloodAsp etc are some of the most devestating mechs in this game.

Sure when they work.. when they don't which is a lot.. even with quirks nope.. I can put out way more damage with ACs or lbx in the time those jams last.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users