Thoughts On My Build?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:09 AM

I've been having tons of fun with my Corsair-7A(P). I've done tons of tweaking to get it where it's at now but considering I'm still pretty new to this game, I thought I would run it past you guys for any advice.

Here is my Corsair: cor-7ap

It's a little light on ammunition, especially AMS ammo but I've never actually run out. In some really heavy missile games, I have almost run out but by that point the game is usually about over. I have yet to get below 25% RAC ammo but that may be because I may extensive use of the ER Large lasers when the red team is using cover or outside of the RACs optimum range.

Thanks!

Edit: I can replace the 3 ER large lasers with 2 ER PPC's: cor-7ap

Edited by Matt85, 05 May 2023 - 02:21 AM.

#2 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:23 AM

Erppc is extremly hot though..

#3 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:42 AM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 01:09 AM, said:

I've been having tons of fun with my Corsair-7A(P). I've done tons of tweaking to get it where it's at now but considering I'm still pretty new to this game, I thought I would run it past you guys for any advice.

It's a little light on ammunition, especially AMS ammo but I've never actually run out. In some really heavy missile games, I have almost run out but by that point the game is usually about over. I have yet to get below 25% RAC ammo but that may be because I may extensive use of the ER Large lasers when the red team is using cover or outside of the RACs optimum range.

Thanks!

Personally, I think it's a very nice build. The Corsair RAC weapons are being used nicely.

All the big machines are hot. They will be fine with extra cooling supplies and cooling skills.

#4 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:07 AM

Given the weapon you chose, it's a well done build (what can I say, I like when all slots are used ^^).
Don't worry about running low on ammo, you will eventually run out, but as long as most of the drops you have enough, it's enough. Better have one more DHS than a ton of ammo you'll only use 1 of 10 times.

That being said, I don't like the RACs.
It may work against T3-5 players who expose themselves a lot, but is quite ineffective against front loaded damage and, generally, a bad weapon to trade with. It's only worth if you face-tank a target on an open-terrain.
I personally went for AC/5+ERPPC (structure-wise it's pretty similar to your build, but with better synergy between weapons). I also tested AC/5+LLas.

That being said, I see GrimMechs lists a RAC/2 build, so it might be effective somehow, just not with me. Their build is shorter range, but also much cooler than yours.
(and with A LOT of AMS ammo, in my opinion too much)

Edited by epikt, 05 May 2023 - 09:07 AM.

#5 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:54 AM

Actually, the whole point is to surprise your opponent and make a surprise attack :)

#6 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 10:14 AM

Thanks all!

I made a build using AC/5's as well: cor-7ap

I don't like GrimMechs build, range is too short for me and too much AMS ammo. I've been doing fine with 2 tons of AMS ammo and only rarely thought I could maybe use a little more. I have come to the conclusion with my limited experience that I have the most fun when I can engage targets all any range.

Edited by Matt85, 05 May 2023 - 10:34 AM.

#7 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 10:47 AM

I would run something like this myself: cor-7ap

#8 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,868 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:32 PM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 01:09 AM, said:

Thanks!

Go with the ERPPC, of those two builds. Their burst DPS is the same, but the ERLL build is significantly worse, despite having a higher alpha-to-overheat. The reason is that you are using a projectile weapon for a lot of your damage - and projectile weapons have projectile speeds. If someone is just staring back at you, it doesn't matter, but if you tracking your target with any kind of lateral movement, you will not be able to put your RAC rounds where your ERLLs are hitting, ever - essentially exacerbating the primary limitation of rotary autocannons.

Your ERPPC version still has different ballistic speeds, but the difference will be less at most ranges. You'll still have to deal with it, but opening the ball with ERPPCs while the RACs are spinning up will serve you well, and if you can keep people in a prolonged fight, you often won't want to use the ERPPCs until the RACs jam. If you put ERPPCs into your AC/5 variant, it doesn't have the limitations of either or your original builds - but it also tops out at about two thirds of their DPS. It's a trade-off, depending on what you want to do.

Edited by Void Angel, 05 May 2023 - 12:33 PM.

#9 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:54 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 05 May 2023 - 12:32 PM, said:

Go with the ERPPC, of those two builds. Their burst DPS is the same, but the ERLL build is significantly worse, despite having a higher alpha-to-overheat. The reason is that you are using a projectile weapon for a lot of your damage - and projectile weapons have projectile speeds. If someone is just staring back at you, it doesn't matter, but if you tracking your target with any kind of lateral movement, you will not be able to put your RAC rounds where your ERLLs are hitting, ever - essentially exacerbating the primary limitation of rotary autocannons.

Your ERPPC version still has different ballistic speeds, but the difference will be less at most ranges. You'll still have to deal with it, but opening the ball with ERPPCs while the RACs are spinning up will serve you well, and if you can keep people in a prolonged fight, you often won't want to use the ERPPCs until the RACs jam. If you put ERPPCs into your AC/5 variant, it doesn't have the limitations of either or your original builds - but it also tops out at about two thirds of their DPS. It's a trade-off, depending on what you want to do.

What about a build like this: cor-7ap

#10 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 12:54 PM, said:

Not sure the TC3 is worth the tonnage. Even if +15% velocity is nice. Your call.

#11 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:45 PM

View Postepikt, on 05 May 2023 - 01:15 PM, said:

Not sure the TC3 is worth the tonnage. Even if +15% velocity is nice. Your call.

picked it to fill two empty slots. if i need more ammo then I can reduce it as needed.

#12 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:07 PM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

picked it to fill two empty slots. if i need more ammo then I can reduce it as needed.

You have 3 empty slots, so you can add another DHS. With the remaining 2 tons, up the engine, if you can afford a 310 (usually this 2 kph for 2 tons upgrade doesn't worth it, but you have nothing to do with the tonnage). Like this. I think it's better than with the TC.

Edited by epikt, 05 May 2023 - 03:09 PM.

#13 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 03:43 PM

PPC velocity for long range sniping and hitting tiny fast mechs seems more valuable then one heat sink. I suppose it depends how badly i overheat... won't know till i test the build later tonight.

#14 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:03 PM

I recommend 3x light pcc. deterrent.

#15 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:13 PM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 05 May 2023 - 05:03 PM, said:

I recommend 3x light pcc. deterrent.

Wouldn't work with my play style. I start the game sniping and then once the battle lines have been set, i push in where ever I feel I can be helpful (also counter red team snipers). Most of my early game shots are 900m+ and then mid/late game is often knife fighting.

My other favorite mech is a Blood Asp, I use 2 gauss rifles and 6 small pulse lasers. That build is much more sniper focused than this one but it still holds its own in close combat.

#16 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:12 PM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 05:13 PM, said:

Wouldn't work with my play style. I start the game sniping and then once the battle lines have been set, i push in where ever I feel I can be helpful (also counter red team snipers). Most of my early game shots are 900m+ and then mid/late game is often knife fighting.

My other favorite mech is a Blood Asp, I use 2 gauss rifles and 6 small pulse lasers. That build is much more sniper focused than this one but it still holds its own in close combat.

If you're playing as a sniper, I recommend the Battlemaster and Blood ASP. Equip them with ELL in the shoulder slots, as the arm-mounted weapons won't be of much use. PPCs are not very effective at long range, but they perform well at medium range, in my opinion.

#17 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 02:41 AM

Tonight, I tried the various builds discussed here. In the end I went back to my original build.

2 ER PPC's were too hot and 3 AC/5's didn't deal out the close combat damage I wanted.

At least for me, 3 RAC/2's and 3 ER large lasers just seems to work well. I'm comfortable at long range, medium range, and close range. I can manage the heat relatively easily with this build and my damage output has been acceptable at an average of around 500dmg per game.

Ill still toy around with possible improvements though... tinkering is half the fun of this game. Posted Image

Edited by Matt85, 06 May 2023 - 02:41 AM.

#18 Matt85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 01:52 PM

If anyone is still watching this thread, here are some other interesting builds.

cor-7ap With this one, you use the PPC's only at long range. up close you have the medium pulse lasers and the RAC2s linked together for maximum DPS. My first game was 700dmg and second was 500dmg. With a bit of practice with the ER PPC's this build shows a lot of promise.

cor-7ap With this build you use the 3 ER large to snipe and then link 1 ER large and 1 Large to the RAC2s for close range work. Haven't tried it yet but worth a shot.

Edited by Matt85, 06 May 2023 - 02:50 PM.

#19 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 03:07 PM

View PostMatt85, on 06 May 2023 - 01:52 PM, said:

cor-7ap With this build you use the 3 ER large to snipe and then link 1 ER large and 1 Large to the RAC2s for close range work. Haven't tried it yet but worth a shot.

You'd better mount 4 standard large lasers, so you can fire them all simultaneously without ghost heat.

#20 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,868 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:03 PM

View PostMatt85, on 05 May 2023 - 12:54 PM, said:

This will work; as you noted before, you can trade the TC for ammo if you need it, or take out the TC for another heat sink and extra range - but with projectile weapons, velocity is accuracy. The extra mobility and one DHS may well not be worth it, but both are options you can try if you need to improve the build. You will need to watch your heat management with this build, and may actually benefit from downgrading to normal PPCs. It still runs hot, and you'll (of course) want to max your heat capacity and cooling nodes in the skill tree.

Edited by Void Angel, 07 May 2023 - 07:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users