• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 10 May 2023 - 05:04 PM

Today, I tried to record my screen and wondered if it would be possible. I tried multiple programs, but I couldn't manage to record in 4K. Or rather, it took up too much space. I wanted to record in lower quality, but the text was not readable. I didn't like it. Even at a minimum, a proper recording of 1 minute took up 600 MB of space. The problem is not recording, but rather uploading it. I realized once again how challenging it is for those who upload videos. Although 1080p doesn't take up too much space, it's still difficult. I gave up.

Posted Image

#2 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:00 PM

If I understand correctly, you have a 4K display but too little storage and/or too bad internet connection to record and upload a 4K video.

Different options:
- reduce the frames per second and record at 30fps instead of 60 or higher. It will half your file size, for imho a perfectly acceptable result.
- reduce the bit-rate (the "quality") of your recording.
- reduce the resolution and record in 1440p (1/2 size compared to 4K) or even 1080p (1/4 compared to 4K).

Of course, all of that will lower the quality of your video. You'll have to test what's good enough and find the good compromise. Personally, I would first reduce the resolution, then the fps, keeping a high enough bit-rate.

Keep in mind that youtube (I guess it's the destination) will compress your video and you'll have a quality loss anyway.
Also, quite important imho, not everybody has a big screen and most people won't be able to watch your video in 4K (according to Steam, 64.5% of their players have a 1080p screen, 12.5% a 1440p and only 2.75% can watch 4K).

#3 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:18 PM

View Postepikt, on 10 May 2023 - 09:00 PM, said:

If I understand correctly, you have a 4K display but too little storage and/or too bad internet connection to record and upload a 4K video.

Different options:
- reduce the frames per second and record at 30fps instead of 60 or higher. It will half your file size, for imho a perfectly acceptable result.
- reduce the bit-rate (the "quality") of your recording.
- reduce the resolution and record in 1440p (1/2 size compared to 4K) or even 1080p (1/4 compared to 4K).

Of course, all of that will lower the quality of your video. You'll have to test what's good enough and find the good compromise. Personally, I would first reduce the resolution, then the fps, keeping a high enough bit-rate.

Keep in mind that youtube (I guess it's the destination) will compress your video and you'll have a quality loss anyway.
Also, quite important imho, not everybody has a big screen and most people won't be able to watch your video in 4K (according to Steam, 64.5% of their players have a 1080p screen, 12.5% a 1440p and only 2.75% can watch 4K).

When you shrink the large video, the text becomes unreadable, I've already tried that. Despite the frame rate being 30, it takes up around 600 MB per minute. I can make it 10, but it would be ridiculous. It wouldn't be enjoyable to watch.

When I used the software of the AMD graphics card, I obtained good results. It proportionally reduced the quality and made it more user-friendly. I will use it for recording in 4K. Uploading to YouTube is fast, but the processing time for 4K and 1080p videos is quite long, around 110 minutes. I will soon upload a test video.

Edited by TAMTAMBABY, 11 May 2023 - 07:57 AM.

#4 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:03 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users