35 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,785 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Skeletons in Our Closets

(08 August 3049)

There are some within our beloved empire who only smell the roses and see the crystal blue waters that spring eternal across our thousand worlds of the Federated Commonwealth. While I love and honor our beloved homeland, such blindness is pure folly; naiveté at best, absolutely dangerous at worst.

Young as our nation is, the stabbing pains of growth have reverberated, stretching our collective skins taut; and beyond. Ignoring those events is tantamount to children mimicking ostriches, tucking our heads into the sand and hoping we’ll forget what almost happened. Much to my dismay I’ve witnessed attempts to suppress these events. Not outright eliminating the history in textbooks; not yet, at least. Instead, subtle tweaks to the presentation that change the tone of those trying times, and hence the potential lessons to be learned.

For those young minds tainted by such overzealousness, permit me to refresh your memories. In 3034, the Free Rasalhague Republic was formed, resulting in the Federated Commonwealth turning over numerous worlds; many of them planets our brothers in blue died to liberate from the tyrannical Draconis Combine during the Fourth Succession War. Many of my compatriots within the media decried this event as a travesty. I stood with a courageous few willing to back the First Prince’s and Archon’s decisions; a brilliant and long-term astute move.

I believe the First Prince and the Archon fully understood and embraced the desire of the Rasalhagian people to finally form their own union after seven centuries under Combine rule. More importantly, the formation of Free Rasalhague also weakened the Draconis Combine, as they too relinquished control of numerous worlds, while creating a buffer state between our nations backed by the power of ComStar. What logic…what dynamic leadership! To look past the pettiness of a few planets lost and instead see the needs of the dynasty for decades to come!

Yet just as samurai within the Draconis Combine were blinded by their petty notions of honor and could not accept their Daimyo’s decisions—from which the Ronin Wars erupted as a result—our own Federated Commonwealth likewise felt the harsh sting of ignorance as the Skye Crisis blossomed.

Normally I have nothing but praise for the men and women who protect our far-flung borders, but as civil disobedience spread over this decision, their over-reaction turned a paltry temper tantrum into a full-blown civil uprising that lasted weeks, leaving hundreds dead and thousands wounded.

What’s more, the wounds from those days are spirit-deep and despite the heroics of Duke Ryan Steiner in quenching those flames of unrest, they are not extinguished, only banked. The coals still simmer deep within the hearts and minds of many in the Skye March.

And if we forget…if we turn our heads aside in distaste and try to ignore those unpleasant skeletons in our closet…it will be on our heads if they escape during the night, bony claws rending our empire’s flesh once more as we lie sleeping in our self-made ignorance.

—Olivia Daver, Commonwealth Press

#2 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Intriguing.

#3 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hmmmm.....

#4 Icebound

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I said I'm sorry momma. I never meant to hurt youuuu.

#5 Dymitry

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

I never meant to make you cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

#6 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

It's the omnimechs in the closet that worry me.

#7 SpectralVisage

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hmm...this is an interesting design for the new mech. I imagine that all of the individual characters would break up it's silhouette, helping camouflage it against enemies. I am a little worried about the rectangular shape of it the mech as a whole though, but I suppose-

Wait, what? This isn't a new mech? It's an entertaining story piece? Oh.

No, no, I'm...I'm fine. I'll just...I'll just sit over here...and weep.

=(

#8 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

>:/

#9 Iron Bear

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

I hope this means the mighty Dashi will soon rise and strike fear as it lumbers.

#10 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostIron Bear, on 08 August 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

I hope this means the mighty Dashi will soon rise and strike fear as it lumbers.

Dashi as in the MLP Rainbow dash..... that would be interesting.. :lol:

#11 Firefun

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Speaking of ponies.. ?

#12 Iyada

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Dont' you mean "daishi"? dashi is soup stock :lol:

#13 Star Captain

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationSheboygan

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

I think we will now see the Battlemech the Lyrans are known for. The Zeus.

#14 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Translation for everyone else:

Bootlicking...More Bootlicking...Raselhaugue should have the right of self determination....bootlicking...how DARE Skye rebel against their benevolent overlords...we now return you to your regularly scheduled Davionista bootlicking, already in progress....

Thoughts:
1)Hypocrisy much?
2)Maybe the people of Skye are tired of dying so Hanse Davion can be First Prince of a new Star League?

#15 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Is now a bad time to mention that I'm a Skye Ranger?

Posted Image

#16 Tibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

geting closer to things )

#17 Taidan

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

War, huh?

What is it good for?

#18 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

View Posttaidan, on 08 August 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

War, huh?

What is it good for?

Literally everything.

#19 Kutkor

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPancevo, Serbia

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 08 August 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

What’s more, the wounds from those days are spirit-deep and despite the heroics of Duke Ryan Steiner in quenching those flames of unrest, they are not extinguished, only banked. The coals still simmer deep within the hearts and minds of many in the Skye March.
And if we forget…if we turn our heads aside in distaste and try to ignore those unpleasant skeletons in our closet…it will be on our heads if they escape during the night, bony claws rending our empire’s flesh once more as we lie sleeping in our self-made ignorance.

pffft

Edited by Kutkor, 08 August 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#20 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostPhalanx, on 08 August 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Translation for everyone else:

Bootlicking...More Bootlicking...Raselhaugue should have the right of self determination....bootlicking...how DARE Skye rebel against their benevolent overlords...we now return you to your regularly scheduled Davionista bootlicking, already in progress....

I guess you skimmed passed the part about the Ronin Wars, you must have been too busy shinning your coordinator's boots to notice ;)

I wouldn't call Duke Ryan Steiner a hero ether, I haven't been a Merc for long but long enough to know when a royal is trying to pull a fast one on you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users