How Does The Community Like Pulse Lasers?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I have been looking at refitting 4 of my medium lasers on my hunchback to medium pulse lasers. I was curious what the communities love/ hate for them over medium lasers is. From what I have read they do a little bit more damage but are twice as heavy, half the range, and generate more heat. I have a good ping and typically can land my mediums for the full duration of the beam on my target, i ho however frequently fight up close. Would medium pulse lasers be a good match here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, medium pulse lasers do not have any critical bonus or extra effects on the target. They also have the same cycle time right?

#2 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Slightly more damage. Less range, more heat and heavier.

IMO they are almost worse in every situation except for killing lights. Because of the way Lasers work vs Pulse laser; Pulse Lasers are much better for killing lights if you have issues tracking them smoothly. Or if you can manage your heat well and find yourself with a lot of weight left over then I suppose they are better.

Personally though, I think they sound a lot cooler too and look sweet. So they have more of a flair factor to them over regular Lasers.

Edited by Xenophontis, 15 November 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#3 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Check this http://mwomercs.com/...-melt-properly/
Teirdome did a great work.

#4 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Wow just got done with a game, I did 800 dmg and got 7 kills using medium pulse lasers. I am actually surprised at how they balance out vs normal lasers. They are much more easy to hit small mechs with which matches the table top well. I miss the extra range but its worth it. I would not recommend these however to anyone without a engine that can move faster than 80kph. You really need to close the gap quickly and be able to get away while you cool off.

#5 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostHedonism Robot, on 16 November 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

You really need to close the gap quickly and be able to get away while you cool off.

Or you can mix them with normal ones. For example, C1 cata w. 2 LL + 2 MPL feels great.

#6 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I love MPL on my jenner-F. 2xMPL+2xML and I usually do between 500 and 800 damage. Obviously you need ES, DHS and a 300XL to save weight. FF is advised too, put it raises up your repair costs a lot.

MPL and PL in general are very good for hunting down other lights if you have a mid-high ping. They are easier to use because you don't need to keep them focused on target so much. They are awesome for pinpoint damage while you run around (e.g. on the right shoulder of Atlas-k, destroying gauss and the whole mech due to the xl engine). You shoot less, but more efficiently if you have good aim.

#7 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

With rubberbanding as it is right now, MPlas are a nice choice, especially if you run a light or fast mech that has tight engage windows during hit-and-run attacks.

I've enjoyed using a dual MPLAS on my Dragon 5n (+ gauss, endo, xl325 and 1SRM6), it was very useful even against lights.

#8 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

I used to like MPLs but now with heat increased for them, they are no longer competitive.

#9 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Just speak for myself here, but I nearly go pulse lasers only. I even like large pulse lasers.

They simply work better for regarding how fast I can take an enemy down.

And regarding hunting light mechs I found my answer how to do.

#10 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Steer clear if youre an brawler,the heat tradeoff now aafter the patch makes them worthless to brawlers,theyre only good for hit n run now,or,if u can fir like 40 or so heat,sinks

#11 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Pretty much all my mechs have three things in common:
  • Lots of armour
  • Lots of heatsinks
  • Medium Pulse Lasers
Pulse lasers melt face!

If you build your mechs right, you can brawl in them all day.

#12 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

good on the arms, use normal mlas everywhere else.

(arms for killing lights)

#13 Sarsin

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 16 November 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

With rubberbanding as it is right now, MPlas are a nice choice, especially if you run a light or fast mech that has tight engage windows during hit-and-run attacks.

I've enjoyed using a dual MPLAS on my Dragon 5n (+ gauss, endo, xl325 and 1SRM6), it was very useful even against lights.

Yep. If you play a light the way it is supposed to be (hit and run) the pulse lasers help with pinpointing damage on a weak area in short enough order that you can get the hell out of dodge afterwards.

#14 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostInfavol, on 16 November 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Steer clear if youre an brawler,the heat tradeoff now aafter the patch makes them worthless to brawlers,theyre only good for hit n run now,or,if u can fir like 40 or so heat,sinks

I agree with this, however my brawler is a hunchback 4sp and I have really had a good time with MPulseLasers. I think the reason for this is due to a lot of the jenner spam after LRMs were nerfed. It used to be you could kill light mechs with the LRMs, now they just don't seem to do enough. Also when I'm going against an atlas I usually can duck out to cool off my lasers while I get behind him again. Against other hunchbacks though and dragons I do find myself better off with regular medium lasers.

#15 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

I find them not so great on fast mechs - perhaps better on slower machines but on light I'd rather have 6 ML+2DHS than 4 MPL at the same tonage.

#16 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hunch and above Mplasers seem competent.

#17 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

if you're fast, and want to shoot something fast, medium pulse is the only pulse that isn't outright terribad

if you're slow, the range disadvantage hurts you because you can't close in as quickly. not to mention you're using up tonnage that could go towards a bigger engine. you're also hotter, and this same extra tonnage could go to heatsinks

if you're shooting something slow, it's just not as efficient a weapon. heavier, hotter, shorter range. you're better off with a med laser, unless you're so heat neutral and free of tonnage and max engine etc etc (i.e. never) and your limitation is lack of hardpoints

#18 Eidoen

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostThontor, on 16 November 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

well, they were kinda broken before, generating less heat than than normal lasers.

I personally find it hard to justify the extra weight. 6 ML with 30 damage alpha for 6 tons. Or 5 MPL for 30 damage(applied quicker) alpha for 10 tons.. I would rather take the 6 ML and use the extra weight for heat sinks.

Of course, I drive medium mechs... I suppose in an Assault mech where you generally have the weight to spare but crit slots are limited, I might use pulse lasers.

Per the MW Cannon Pulse Lasers are clan tech that are supposed to do same-slightly more damage than a regular laser and generate half the heat. The "pulse" portion is what is supposed to reduce the heat.

However I can see how that could be broken in the game. I have found that on my Hunch using them in Single fire rotation actually allows me to keep the pressure on without burning up too much.

#19 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Pulse Laser are useless currently.
PGI should incorporate bonus damage based on how much focused your beam was. Works perfectly with their canon specifics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users