New Atlas Rs, Need Some Tips :)

36 replies to this topic

#1 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hi everyone,

Just bought myself a brand new spanking Atlas RS yesterday after getting kind of tired and burned out by the Cat variants...saved up the Cbills and everything. Not a wallet warrior here :rolleyes:

Went for the RS because it has the 4 Energy hardpoints in the arms and I intend to use them!

So here is my build (incomplete) could use suggestions as well as general tips in how to properly operate an assault mech. (The trial Atlases I had access to seemed okish but lacked the brute fire power Im aiming for here and I didnt play them much)

So first thing I did was strip the med lasers & LRMs and AMS off (ECM is so prevalent that Im wondering whether I really need it)

I put 4 Large Lasers in the arms
Std 300 Engine (default)
Left the AC10 with 3 tons of ammo
Crammed as many Heatsinks as possible (it only turned out to be one or two more)

Obviously Im going to put in DHS as soon as I save up as right now Im prone to overheating.

The AC10 also feels rather like a secondary weapon and it doesnt really complement the lasers well, it also runs rather hot. Thinking of going Gauss there but heard they were completely ruined by the latest patch. Im open to suggestions here...

Ok a few questions. Should I go endo steel to get some extra weight free? Would I have enough space for both DHS and Endo Steel, and another thing. Would Endo Steel make me more "fragile" the way XL engines are prone to making mechs explode for no reason?

Please feel free to comment, flame, suggest away ;)

#2 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I would Find a way to add some SRM6's. But I'm not too experienced with all those large lasers. The best config I've found for my RS is, 2xER lasers, 2x Medium lasers, 2xSRM6+Artermis, 1xLBX10. I Group the LBX10 and SRMs together for a 40pt dmg. salvo. This allows me to assist out to 675 to support buddies, then get close and let loose with projectiles while following up with med/large lasers depending on heat index.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

If it will help you grab a Gauss Rifle or AC/20 then going Endo might be good. It will depend on how many heat sinks you'll need to cool off your lasers.

I went in my mechlab and played around with my RS. No Endo/Ferro/DHS.

Large Laser (x4)
Gauss Rifle (2 tons ammo)
21 heatsinks
300 standard engine
Armor max except legs (50 points each)
1.08 heat efficiency

Posted Image

Will probably roll better with DHS but I'm not gonna upgrade him right now because I have some other mechs to play with.

#4 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

Decide if you want to be a brawler or ranged.

My favorite ranged configuration with the RS would be -

14 Double Heatsinks, Endo Steel, STD 300 engine

2 Large Lasers
TAG laser
Gauss rifle w/ 2 tons ammo
LRM 15 + LRM 20 w/ 3 tons ammo

TAG cuts through ECM and lets you target them, and drop serious firepower on their heads from long range. Sure gauss was nerfed... but its more fragile now. Your not supposed to be brawling in this thing anyway!

If you want to brawl... then yea, load up medium lasers / medium pulses, an AC/20, and SRM6's.

#5 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

4LL LB10XAC 2SSRM XL350

#6 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Gauss was not "completely ruined" by the last patch, and in fact would synergize very well with 4 LL.

#7 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Aye. Unless you be a close range brawler, the gauss for the most part be unchanged.

As you be using the LLs me assume you will be fighting from range where your gauss faces less of a risk of being shot off.

& aye, me am a close range brawler which be why me has stopped using gauss. (Me kind of expect to take several dozen rounds in my torso area every match.)

#8 Shadowsword8

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have 4 LL on mine, with a standard engine 350, No other weapon. That gives me a 1.39 heat ratio, so I can get relatively trigger-happy, and a confortable speed of 61kph.

#9 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Damn DHS was a pretty lousy investment....there is a lot of unused space and tonnage on my mech now (Running just the 4LL) and the heat management is even worse then before....

Im thinking of trying out Medium Lasers (or Pulse) with an AC20 and SRMs if I can take on the weight...

But gotta say 4LL Atlas is waaay overrated....

#10 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

2 ppc 2 erppc

is fun

#11 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

4LL was good BEFORE DHS, now it's not that good.

edit: on an atlas, by itself

Edited by Indoorsman, 08 December 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#12 Xerkics

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

What about 4 ER Large lasers are those any good ? I found that i can shoot normal 4 LL quite comfortably with the lrm 20 should i switch LRM 20 out maybe and get more heatsinks and 350 engine? Maybe 4 ER?

Edited by Xerkics, 08 December 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#13 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

Ok after some (expensive) experimentation I finally settled on a build for the RS which seems to work REALLY REALLY well :)

I found that playing an Atlas can be both a frustrating and very rewarding experience because most of the time you NEED to have a good team, or at least a competent one that understands that assault mechs need to have backup otherwise.....Fail!

Here is the Build:

4x Med. Pulse Lasers (Pew Pew!)
2x SRM6 /w Artemis (3 tons)
LBX10 (complements the Artemis very nicely) (3 tons)
Max Armor (ammo in the legs FTW!)
20 DHS

Its a pure brawler build and works really well against all kinds of mechs, well placed alpha strike's will ONE shot mediums and Lights. (Artemis and proper range is a must for this to work though)

Im considering going back to standard Heat sinks, as I have weight to spare and could really use the critical slots to maybe slot in one some more ammo and even AMS and then using the 75% free rearm, since im actually losing Cbills on a bad loss...

#14 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

Damn DHS was a pretty lousy investment....there is a lot of unused space and tonnage on my mech now (Running just the 4LL) and the heat management is even worse then before....

Im thinking of trying out Medium Lasers (or Pulse) with an AC20 and SRMs if I can take on the weight...

4 Large laser is my favorite laodout, however if you combine that with a ballistic weapon you lose a lot of crit slots (ballistics take up a lot of crits compared to lasers!)

4 LL plus some SRMs, or 4LL plus some LRMs, are both great builds depending on what distance you want to operate at. In the currentmeta SRM might be better since they're not affected by ECM.

Using the full arm arc is vital; If you have 4 LL in the arm but you never swing your arms around to their maximum traverse, you're missing out on the best asset fo the Atlas RS.

#15 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

My current build:

325 Engine, 20 DHS

2 ERPPC
2 SRM4 +1T
2 Small Laser
1 Ultra AC 5 +2T
AMS +1T

The ERPPC's are the main armament. Unlike lasers they do all their damage in one shot and have a ridiculously short cooldown. Unfortunately they also do like 40% of my heat. I resist the urge to use the UAC5 at medium/long range to save ammo. When stuff gets up close, SRM+UAC+SL go to rapid fire, with the occasional ERPPC blast depending on heat.

I'm still getting used to the sheer heat this thing puts out, but I did just have a 6 kill game on it =D

Edited by Gaeb, 10 December 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#16 Gaeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

Keep in mind that higher rating engines mean storing extra heatsinks without taking up a crit slot...

250 = 10x 2.0 DHS
275 = 10x 2.0 DHS + 1 x1.4DHS
300 = 10x 2.0 DHS + 2 x1.4DHS
325 = 10x 2.0 DHS + 3 x1.4DHS
350 = 10x 2.0 DHS + 4 x1.4DHS

Edited by Gaeb, 10 December 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#17 Raz Skullcrusher

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 34 posts
  • LocationOahu, Hawaii

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

On my RS i do run with the 4 LL's but also with a Guass and 4T ammo, 19 DHS and 592 armor actuallys works well with heat and dmg. Since the Guass is now more easily destoryed i tend to fight at range with my left side facing more towards ppl, ive also decided to run with a 360XL for the extra DHS and a nice 62kph to move around with

360 XL, 19 DHS

4 LL
1 Guass +4T

#18 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

I run my RS with 4 large lasers, a standard 350 and double heatsinks, works very well if you've got decent aim. The damage per second isn't that good but it's all in one place and at good range.

Edited by Flapdrol, 10 December 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#19 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

I dont know the...Fighting Long range just never worked for me in this assault mech. I found that when I used the LL I could usually get of one or two shots before the enemy either retreated or advanced into close range (where I would promptly get my *** handed to me), The MPLs produce less heat, weigh less, and work great in tandem with the other weapons on my build.

Sure you have to close but there are very few places on most maps in this game where you can use the range advantage in a mech as big and slow as this one is.

#20 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 10 December 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

there are very few places on most maps in this game where you can use the range advantage in a mech as big and slow as this one is.

The best place on every map to use the range advantage is directly behind your team. Just keep your entire team between you and the enemy, while being close to your team as well. Basically in a long range Atlas you've got everyone's backs, while they've got your front covered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users