16 replies to this topic

#1 Tarby

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Just wish the devs would put something in the mechlab to stop this from occurring. 850,000 c-bills wasted adding endo only to discover you can't put a bloody engine in it. and another 425,000 wasted removing endo.

Posted Image

#2 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

Or, you could remove one ton of ammo to free up that crit space to fit the engine in....

Or one medium laser.....

Or one of anything that takes up only one crit space....

#3 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

Stripping out the sarcasm from the prior posters..... Generally planning out your mech in advance will save you making those mistakes.

http://widowmakers.c...ForumID=2249095

Thats the program many of us use.

#4 Tarby

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 21 December 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

Excuse me?

View PostTheFuzzyBunny, on 21 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

Or, you could remove one ton of ammo to free up that crit space to fit the engine in....

Or one medium laser.....

Or one of anything that takes up only one crit space....

I thought the orange slots couldn't move?

Edited by Stickjock, 21 December 2012 - 09:42 AM.
removed deleted content

#5 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Never put Endo-Steel in an Assault mech til after you have fully loaded it. I can guarantee you will run out of slots using most Assault mech load-outs.

Assault mechs in general don't have the slots for endo anyways, too much tons, not enough slots.

#6 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

View PostStingz, on 21 December 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

Never put Endo-Steel in an Assault mech til after you have fully loaded it. I can guarantee you will run out of slots using most Assault mech load-outs.

Assault mechs in general don't have the slots for endo anyways, too much tons, not enough slots.

Works fine on the Atlas. Endo is in all my cfgs.

#7 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

I am in total agreement with OP. The game needs a sandbox style mechbay to let you play around with builds before you buy them. I believe that this is on the list for the devs, but no idea as to when we will see it.

In the mean time I've been using the excel mech lab myself. 3rdworld (and many others) have put a lot of work into it, and it's fantastic. You do need the latest version of excel for windows to use all the features (save and load builds) but you can still use it with older/mac versions.

#8 Mithos

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostTarby, on 21 December 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I thought the orange slots couldn't move?

Yup! They couldn't. BUT, if you do anything from suggested by TheFuzzyBunny list, one orange slot will return into white state again. Presonally, i recommend heatsink - you can put it into internal engine slot afterwards, if its a big one. Enjoy!

#9 Tarby

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 21 December 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

I am in total agreement with OP. The game needs a sandbox style mechbay to let you play around with builds before you buy them. I believe that this is on the list for the devs, but no idea as to when we will see it.

In the mean time I've been using the excel mech lab myself. 3rdworld (and many others) have put a lot of work into it, and it's fantastic. You do need the latest version of excel for windows to use all the features (save and load builds) but you can still use it with older/mac versions.

What doesn't help is having to go to upgrades, then go back to loadout. The "upgrades" all affect the number of slots/tonnage you have left.

View PostMithos, on 21 December 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yup! They couldn't. BUT, if you do anything from suggested by TheFuzzyBunny list, one orange slot will return into white state again. Presonally, i recommend heatsink - you can put it into internal engine slot afterwards, if its a big one. Enjoy!

Thanks I didn't know this.

#10 _Rorschach_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think I read in a dev post that they are looking at folding upgrades and loadout into one screen so this can not happen to you in the future. Might come with the 'new user experience' some time in spring?

The orange slots appear when there is no more room anywhere else on the mech the slot could possibly moved to. As soon as you create an opening by removing something they turn to dynamic slots again. As Mithos said, HS are a good way to do this since you can later add them back by placing them in any engine at or above 275 anyway.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

Endo takes 14 crits. If you didn't bother to count 14 free criticals, you should never have even attempted an upgrade.

#12 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostTarby, on 21 December 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Just wish the devs would put something in the mechlab to stop this from occurring. 850,000 c-bills wasted adding endo only to discover you can't put a bloody engine in it. and another 425,000 wasted removing endo.

Posted Image

No, I use endo on ONE of my STK-3H / 5S builds - 6 LL's.

#13 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostTarby, on 21 December 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

What doesn't help is having to go to upgrades, then go back to loadout. The "upgrades" all affect the number of slots/tonnage you have left.

I know exactly what you mean. It needs to have all equipment and upgrades available to try out. I ran into a similar issue trying to put DHS on a 9 laser humchback. I paid the cost then found out that I didn't have enough room to match the heat rating that I had with singles >_<. I lived and learned (and paid 2.25 mil for nothing).

#14 Tarby

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 21 December 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

Endo takes 14 crits. If you didn't bother to count 14 free criticals, you should never have even attempted an upgrade.

Sorry Mr lord high and mighty founder. Next time I'll pay more attention to the games tutorials on mech lab usage etc, when they put one in.

Seriously, the attitude of some of you absolutely stinks. I'm new to the game, I'm not an epic elite legendary mythic founder who has played for months and months. I thought posting in a forum section titled "new players" people would point out my error in a less condescending way. I made a mistake and learned from it, I've learned to avoid posting in these forums again.

#15 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostTarby, on 21 December 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Sorry Mr lord high and mighty founder. Next time I'll pay more attention to the games tutorials on mech lab usage etc, when they put one in.

Seriously, the attitude of some of you absolutely stinks. I'm new to the game, I'm not an epic elite legendary mythic founder who has played for months and months. I thought posting in a forum section titled "new players" people would point out my error in a less condescending way. I made a mistake and learned from it, I've learned to avoid posting in these forums again.

Ignore the ********, **** the trolls, this kind of post is what this forum is for.

For people like you who didn't know about the crits thing, since it isn't really highlighted or listed anywhere. High and mighty ******** shouldn't scare you off man. I made the same mistake with at least 2 or 3 of the builds I wanted to try, blew tens of millions on builds that just wouldn't turn out because of things like this.

And yeah, it is titled NEW PLAYERS. Act with respect and courtesy, jerkwads. Prove your superiority on the battlefield, not in the forums. You can know a lot and be a crappy pilot. You can make mistakes like this and be a great pilot. I'm sick of pompous ***** on these boards.

#16 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostTarby, on 21 December 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Just wish the devs would put something in the mechlab to stop this from occurring.

There already be something that prevents you from doing something like that.
It be slot requirements.

You yourself has chosen to take out the engine & then attempted to fill the slots with endo.
And you be surprised that you has ran out of space?

#17 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

OP, Tarby,

What it looks like you did was pull the engine, put in all the weapons and heatsinks and what not in, then switched to Endo steel. At that point you found you didn't have enough crit spots open to put the engine back in. At that point, instead of paying to switch back, you could have take a heat sink out, or dropped a weapon out to something that take less crit spaces. This would have saved you the money to switch back and allowed you to put the engine in.

So no, you cannot remove the orange slots, but you could have removed something else.

FB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users