9 replies to this topic

#1 Sindak

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSwiss

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I cant seem to find a good build that uses jump jets; or is jumping nerfed?

I used to run a shadow hawk in another game a long time ago, I was wondering if jumping mechs are viable in this game?

Any good jumping builds?

Thnx

#2 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

The best jumping Mech will be released at the 15th - the Spider.

-> http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Spider

Might be your mech.

The jumping-mechanic gets an overhaul soon.We will see how that works out.

Personally i wait for the Highlander which we might see in April.

-> http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Highlander

#3 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostSindak, on 03 January 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

I cant seem to find a good build that uses jump jets; or is jumping nerfed?

I used to run a shadow hawk in another game a long time ago, I was wondering if jumping mechs are viable in this game?

Any good jumping builds?

Thnx

Jump jets aren't great. If you want the best chance to fly a Jenner with max JJ's would be your best bet. It's not so much flying though as drifting through the air lazily.

#4 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

The "TAG and BAG"
Catapult C-1, XL 310 engine, 2xLRM15+Artemis with 6 tons ammo, 3xML, 1xTAG, 1 Engine heatsink, Endo, Double Heatsinks, 4xJJ. Max armour (Down one tick on each leg to get it to an even tonnage)

Role:
Line-of-Sight (LOS) LRMer / ECM mech killer

Tactics:
Use the TAG a LOT. As a rule of thumb, do not fire unless you can TAG your target. Not just for the TAG, but Artemis needs LOS, so if you can get a TAG paint *as the missiles hit* you know you also have LOS. Use the Jumpjets to help here - if the enemy is say behind a low hill, fire off a volley and when they are a couple of seconds out, jump up to get LOS as the missiles are coming in.
Also, if you know you can get LOS when you want it (eg by jumping), do not be afraid of firing off missiles and immediately losing lock (eg jump up, select target, lock, fire on way down, losing lock straight after firing) if you can get a jump TAG on them before the missiles hit max distance. If you can get a re-lock, the missiles will start seeking again and the target can get little or no warning of incoming missiles because they are so close. Also sometimes you can hit them in the back having fired from the front like this. Hell even if you have uninterrupted LOS it can be good lulz to do this (Deliberately lose lock) - I have seen missiles do a full loop when doing this :lol:

Also bear in mind that the cat has a huge torso twist. You can target an enemy behind you whilst almost running directly away from him, so at 85Kph (With Elite), you can gain min range (180m) on a mech quickly. Jump jets can also assist in getting min distance if you eg jump up a cliff they can't run up. Yes, it has an XL, but for the way you are meant to play the mech (At the fringes of a brawl), if that is an issue you are doing it wrong. Besides, the side torsos in Cats seem quite hard to hit.

At the start of the match, stay close-ish to your teammates and watch for lights, especially ECM ones. Ensure you stay >180m and <750m from them, TAG them and they will go down real quick (Especially those thinking ECM is immune and only need fear other ECM mechs).

If they get close, use the MLs - 3 MLs is not insignificant, especially on a light's legs and you are quite maneuverable.

Personally, I have not played LRMs much until I decided to flesh out my skills, and I must say that I am finding this mech a refreshing way to play.

Edited by evilC, 03 January 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I love the jumpjets on the Phract-3D, but you have to know how to use them. Considering you have to give up 4 tons and slots for the privilege, it is up to you to make sure they are a meaningful part of your play style and not wasted space.

I use them to get up on top of buildings for unique firing angles. Make sure you are doing this intelligently, not just as the start of the match (making yourself a huge target for enemy snipers.) I like to aid a teammate already brawling with some high angle fire, lets you shoot nice and clean without the risk of friendly fire you get when you join the circle dance, and most enemies are too focused on their current beau to figure out where you are.

Shortcutting might seem like a slight advantage, but it adds up. Using the jets to hop across gaps in terrain or low buildings and obstacles can let you keep up with mechs significantly faster than you.

You can also use them to turn mid-fight. Given the Phracts horrible torso twist and arm articulation, it can be handy to maintain forward momentum while turning around to face the enemy. Similarly, they are great for escaping bad situations or generally messing up an opponents aim if you are caught out in the open and know you are going to take a few hits no matter what you do.

Here is a sample build for my Phract, hope it gives you some ideas!

#6 Sindak

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSwiss

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for the advice with the Tag and Bag Cat-C1. That sounds like a lot of fun; probably need some getting used to, but still fun!

I checked out that Phract too and it looks nice. Just wondering if AC 20 might work "better", as in damage faster? Actually, would 2 AC -10's be better than 1 AC 20, just so it recycles faster? I dont have experience with either so not sure. Its just with jump jets, I was thinking...jump right behind enemy mech...and dakka dakka boom?? Or is that not feasible with the way jump jets work in this game?

#7 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Dual UAC5s are way better than 1xAC20, especially for a JJ mech - you want to be able to be fairly free and easy with your ammo.
Also, AC20s are more of a close range weapon whereas UAC5s are good at pretty much all ranges.
The UAC5 Phract 3D is my other JJ mech, although lately I have been toying with it running 2LPL and 2ML - however I hear that there are going to be changes to the UAC5 (Holding button will be fire at max single-shot rate, you will need to tap quickly to get double shot) and if/when this happens I will probs go back to the UAC5 build.

#8 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostSindak, on 03 January 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

Wow! Thanks for the advice with the Tag and Bag Cat-C1. That sounds like a lot of fun; probably need some getting used to, but still fun!

I checked out that Phract too and it looks nice. Just wondering if AC 20 might work "better", as in damage faster? Actually, would 2 AC -10's be better than 1 AC 20, just so it recycles faster? I dont have experience with either so not sure. Its just with jump jets, I was thinking...jump right behind enemy mech...and dakka dakka boom?? Or is that not feasible with the way jump jets work in this game?

You start running into tonnage issues with anything bigger than UAC5s. You could mount a single AC20 or Gauss in the torso I suppose if you really want to commit to a pop-tart sniper kind of play style. I find the UAC5s work fairly well over a variety of ranges and situations though, so they're kind of appealing. Only downside is that 100 rounds fired out of two quickly recycling cannons doesn't last as long as I would like.

In that same thread another person posted a 4xLLAS Phract-3D build that looked interesting. Runs hot obviously, but I can see how hopping between buildings and roasting things with quad beams-o-death could touch a man's heart.

The 3D has a lot of options! Really fun mech. Hope to see you out there flyin' and blastin' away!

#9 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

I would've said jenner... before recent changes... but now somehow 45m with 5! JJ looks very poor. Haven't been piloting them girls for a while and trying them now brought me to stripping of all JJ may be but 1 for soft landings after jumping from a hill. Other than that... in a way it feels like jenners got severely nerfed after all. She's still fun to pilot, but without ecm and JJs she looks wee bit week.

#10 Sindak

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSwiss

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostSandro Mc, on 04 January 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

I would've said jenner... before recent changes... but now somehow 45m with 5! JJ looks very poor. Haven't been piloting them girls for a while and trying them now brought me to stripping of all JJ may be but 1 for soft landings after jumping from a hill. Other than that... in a way it feels like jenners got severely nerfed after all. She's still fun to pilot, but without ecm and JJs she looks wee bit week.

Yea, too bad the jenner got nerfed. I was hoping to try one out and fly around a bit, but like you said, without ECM and some jumping power, I guess not....too bad :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users