Best Weapon For Legging - Thoughts

7 replies to this topic

#1 Gunnisson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys,

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on weapons that would be good at legging other 'Mechs. I've been experimenting with different setups today with varying results. My favourite choice has been the UAC/5s, especially in the common triple UAC/5 Ilya setup. The mixture of good damage and a high fire rate seems to work the best for me.

I've been toying with the LB10 in a dual and triple setup on my Ilya and it seems decent enough at legging. The "Spread out" damage, while fairly useless when fired at the torso due to sandblasting all different parts with low damage, works very well on the legs due to them being the same component. Hitting the legs is easy enough due to spread, damage seems respectable.

Lasers, good damage on the legs, little leading to worry about but the netcode can play merry hell with hit detection on the legs and sometimes deals very, very little damage (netcode and poor aiming on my part no doubt).

So, has anyone found any good setups that focus on legging enemy 'Mechs? Close range, long range? Is it more about skill of hitting moving targets, on a moving target, consistently than build? Or perhaps a mixture of the two?

PS: I don't want to turn this into a debate on the Moral Ethics of legging, I'm a dirty Inner Sphere guy who just wants the other 'Mech dead or disabled, not Mohandas Gandhi.

Posted Image

Peace, and watch your knees.

Edited by Gunnisson, 05 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#2 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Any single shot high damage or lasers. First group would have things like gauss and ac20. Second group the large laser is best.

#3 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I love to leg out big mechs with my LLAS. Anytime I see an Atlas or Stalker rigged with a lot of heavy LRMs, I take a pot shot at the legs to see how yellow they get in one burst. Usually they go nice and orange and I know a few more shots and I'll see some delicious ammo explosions.

Legging with lasers is great. If your hunting laggy lights, it is much easier to sweep the beam in front of their path than to hit them with ballistics. If it's a big mech, you can circle dance around them while putting continuous fire right where you want it, barely even a chance of missing. You might be surprised how quickly you can melt out a pair of legs.

That said, as far as crit seeking for ammo detonations, the lasers do a so-so job. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you just have to console yourself with breaking the entire leg by hand. AC10s, PPCs, Gauss and other similar heavy hitters have been proven to be more reliable crit hitters, but they get trickery to aim at a pumping limb. It is all trade offs I suppose.

What I would really like clarification on is if ammo detonations happen automatically when a leg is destroyed or not. I can't tell whether I just have good luck triggering detonations on the last possible shot, or if it is something that has a high degree of possibility whenever a component holding ammo is fully destroyed.

#4 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

The BoomCat (Dual AC/20 Catapult) does well for ripping off appendages and coring just about anything in 1-2 two well placed volleys. It's one of my personal favorites. :)

#5 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

6 ppc, gotta love people shaving of armour of their legs,

#6 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Torso mounted AC/10-20, Gauss or ERPPC are the best ones for crit seaming ammo explosions. Torso mounted being the key part since its really hard to actually hit the leg of a moving target when you have unpredictable convergence to deal with, especially when dealing with legs which will often not stay in reticule long enough to converge or the fact you have to lead the target (and not converge on your intended target at all) on moving targets.

Lasers of all kinds are the best choices if you are looking to simply leg a mech. SRMs and LB-X/10 can also be very good to leg a mech since fast mechs on the move will usually take more damage per shot than a laser.

Worst weapons are non-ER PPCs(under 90m will prob not cause ammo explosion AND is hard to aim), (U)AC/2-5 because even if you get luck and hit, you are doing low damage per shot and have a lower chance to cause an ammo explosion if held in legs. Or any non-laser weapon mounted on arms.

#7 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Problem with big single hit weapons is that they often don't hit mobile targets who aren't ridiculously slow.

LB-10X
Lasers, beam or pulse
SRM

Those are legging weapons for shooting lights, mediums, and moderately mobile heavies. The LB-10x and the beam weapons are especially good if you're one of the many many players who doesn't base their optimal builds off of having less than 50 ping.

Edited by Ursh, 05 January 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#8 liku

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 05 January 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

I love to leg out big mechs with my LLAS. Anytime I see an Atlas or Stalker rigged with a lot of heavy LRMs, I take a pot shot at the legs to see how yellow they get in one burst. Usually they go nice and orange and I know a few more shots and I'll see some delicious ammo explosions.

Legging with lasers is great. If your hunting laggy lights, it is much easier to sweep the beam in front of their path than to hit them with ballistics. If it's a big mech, you can circle dance around them while putting continuous fire right where you want it, barely even a chance of missing. You might be surprised how quickly you can melt out a pair of legs.

That said, as far as crit seeking for ammo detonations, the lasers do a so-so job. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you just have to console yourself with breaking the entire leg by hand. AC10s, PPCs, Gauss and other similar heavy hitters have been proven to be more reliable crit hitters, but they get trickery to aim at a pumping limb. It is all trade offs I suppose.

What I would really like clarification on is if ammo detonations happen automatically when a leg is destroyed or not. I can't tell whether I just have good luck triggering detonations on the last possible shot, or if it is something that has a high degree of possibility whenever a component holding ammo is fully destroyed.

That s a very nice advice. Usally i almost never try to leg but to shoot the arms.
I use srm and medium and do it pretty well.

My stalker almost always have their 72 armors on the leg...unless ill try some "mighti glass canon"..where i have less armlr than a hubchies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users