Dragon Build Advice

17 replies to this topic

#1 Darkening Aspect

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hi All,

For a while I've been looking to build a fast skirmisher with decent strike and long range capabilites.

Could you guys pick apart and give some feedback on the following build?

http:// DRG-1C - Baionoido

It would be much appreciated ;)

Edited by Darkening Aspect, 25 January 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#2 Funkmasterflex

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hey,

I run a Dragon 1N with an LBX 10, 2Largelasers and 2 SSRM2. W/ 300XL eng. It does all the things you posted about.

#3 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Tbh (and it's my opinion), a LRM 10 won't do much in the current environment.
Again imo, Dragons are better suited to be hit and run skirmishers, and in that domain it's hard to beat a Gauss + SRM6 + 4ML DRG-1C that runs at 81-89kph (with speed tweak) with a 300XL.

Not that yours is bad, but it's kindof a jack of all trades, it won't really pack a punch up close (no SRM, jamming Ultra AC5 and will mostly be relying on lasers which, by the way, will run very hot in your configuration which hosts 0 additional Heatskins besides the base engine), and not really pack much of a punch long range either (between ECM and AMS).

If you want versatile, I guess it could work, just not for me :angry:

#4 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

UAC doesn't work that well with Dragons as you want to hit and run. 2 tonnes of ammo for a UAC is generally insufficient as well. And move TAG/LL to arm and Mediums to CT. The Mediums are good for extra juice in a brawl but the LLs in arm are better for tracking at long distances

#5 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

IMO, the best dragon is the DRG-1C that carries 4 large lasers. Here's my particular take on it -

DRG-1C

#6 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think the single biggest issue you'll have is heat. With only 10 heat sinks, it's going to ramp up quickly -- the UAC5+LL alone will stress you on that (nevermind the MLs)... Eisenhornes build is solid on the 1C. I've also run a few with heavy ballistics that worked nicely (1 Gauss, 4xML, SRM4 wXL300ish engine) and (1 AC10, 4MLs, SRM4 wXL325ish engine). The UAC is going to be tough to build around when you're only carrying one. It's just not very reliable with the jam rate as high as it is right now.

#7 Darkening Aspect

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have FLAME that runs the 4xML, Gauss and SRM6 I'm glad everyone seems to agree thats a solid build. Can't say I've tried a energy based version.

I played the 1C in this config and can pretty much attest how the heat becomes a issue dedicating the ballistic slot to a dedicated hard hitter may be better.

The LRM10 is also fairly disappointing AMS seems to eat them up and personally i find volleying missles and firing a UAC5 while going full speed between cover spots a little overwheming :s Although the advanced target decay module may help with taking the aim off to lead.

I'm torn between switching the energy slots about as I quite like being able to cheekily pop up over hills and use the LL without exposing myself.

#8 Darkening Aspect

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Done a few mods and upped the DHS to twelve the weapons are split into distinct range bands and its unlikely i'll be blasting away with everything at once ;)
http:// DRG-1C - Baionoido V2

I can use the shoulder mounted PPC to fire quick shots at range or even over hills without exposing myself, the AC10 is a better fit for a DRG, the SRM6 brings some short range punch and the arm mounted medium lasers allow me to react quickly to lights and such.

Edited by Darkening Aspect, 25 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#9 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

The dragon can hold a 360. Notice that it's the fastest high armored mech in the game. It's easily the best flanker in the game. It's shoulders have a tiny hit box (only really takes damage from srm's and LBX AC's). I know the tendancy is to turn every mech into a sniper, however there are mechs that do that job far better, such as a 2x gauss-a-pult. That being said, i've found the dragon makes for the ultimate backstabing mech. It's a differnt play style then most people are use to, however its far more effective then mindlessly zerging to the center of the map while both teams snipe until someone is smart enough to charge.

The build is fairly simple. Grab a 360 xl, 4 med lasers, 1 ultra ac, dump the rest in heat sinks and grab an AMS (don't go under 27 with the legs for armor, and bump up the back armor to 25+) it should look like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9eb0e34e4ffbba6

Trade heat sinks for a bigger SRM or smaller SRM for more heat sinks. Don't use SSRM's as you'll be fighting inside an ECM.

Locate enemy
Circle around enemy without being seen
stop behind LRM boat or Atlas right before or during the point when your team charges (sometimes they wont charge, then simply retreat, your fast enough)
Shoot alpha in back center torso.
If enemy mech moves, move with it, stay behind it, don't circle straife. If enemy turns to fight, run away.

This forces the enemy to make a choice. Give your entire team it's back, or die. When you get good at it, you can get 150-200 tons of mech's chasing you. That essentially allows your team to out number them, and focus fire on the mech's that are not chasing you. In other words, play it like a light mech with 350 tons of armor and triple the armament.

#10 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

That is a good build, however, I prefer not using balistics have 2-3 LL lasers and meds for rest with bigger engine if possible. I only currently run a flame with 2 ll 2 med and 1 srm6 with a xl360.

#11 DonBennos

• PipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 41 posts
  • LocationGermany Bayern

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I agree the Dragon is an ambush Mech, which sould be played quiet different.

Compared to scouts you have much better movement ability in my opinion. This means climb up hills like nothing or hovering over rocky roads without taking leg damage like a light mech.

Further in my opinion, large rang capability might be fun - but not effective. This Mech is designed to be fast... a hit-and-run heavy Mech. Having 4 laser in its arms the FLAME is maybe the best option for precision aiming at high-speed.

Most people have terrible heat-builds... check my personal favourite Dragon build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b27a1837fdd6f6f

Very good heat handling capability, focused damage especially for close combat on scouts (where most normal lasers just "slide" over all Mechparts) and max. speed... with some dmg-pushing and crit-seeking srm.

Once get used to hide-hit-run and circle close in different loops around slow turning atlases or stalkers... this mech is not only very fun... its quiete effective.

Equal builds can be managed with normal Dragons... you may try 2xsrm4 and 2 large pulse laser on a DRG-1N... but having 4 equal lasers in arms, opens new possibilities in combat (you can push arm-aiming-angel while holding Ctrl key, still be able to steer normally).

Dragons are very effective if you can behind the enemy for example... so either they turn and your team shoot their back while you dance around... or if they do not turn... you will melt their backs, which are weak... sometimes very weak in armour.

Best results of course, are provided if you have a mate which helps you to raise firepower in their back, confuse them whom to shoot at, or to protect you with ECM...

A Dragon which is played "normal" as maybe a Catapult will be dead very quick... it has a reason why its designed to be hard to hit in side torso (to avoid XLengine be cored quick) and have the highest speed for its class... its ment to be played different.

With dual basic skills and speed tweak it´s hell of a fun... but whatever you do... watch your heat management. A shutdown means losing arms or death most time.

#12 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

This 350 + Guass + 4xML Dragon has done the best for me:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01f67855f207ea1

A Dragon 1C can do the same build, only the weapons are in differnet spots.

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 26 January 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#13 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostShade4x, on 25 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

The dragon can hold a 360. Notice that it's the fastest high armored mech in the game. It's easily the best flanker in the game. It's shoulders have a tiny hit box (only really takes damage from srm's and LBX AC's). I know the tendancy is to turn every mech into a sniper, however there are mechs that do that job far better, such as a 2x gauss-a-pult. That being said, i've found the dragon makes for the ultimate backstabing mech. It's a differnt play style then most people are use to, however its far more effective then mindlessly zerging to the center of the map while both teams snipe until someone is smart enough to charge.

The build is fairly simple. Grab a 360 xl, 4 med lasers, 1 ultra ac, dump the rest in heat sinks and grab an AMS (don't go under 27 with the legs for armor, and bump up the back armor to 25+) it should look like this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9eb0e34e4ffbba6

Trade heat sinks for a bigger SRM or smaller SRM for more heat sinks. Don't use SSRM's as you'll be fighting inside an ECM.

Locate enemy
Circle around enemy without being seen
stop behind LRM boat or Atlas right before or during the point when your team charges (sometimes they wont charge, then simply retreat, your fast enough)
Shoot alpha in back center torso.
If enemy mech moves, move with it, stay behind it, don't circle straife. If enemy turns to fight, run away.

This forces the enemy to make a choice. Give your entire team it's back, or die. When you get good at it, you can get 150-200 tons of mech's chasing you. That essentially allows your team to out number them, and focus fire on the mech's that are not chasing you. In other words, play it like a light mech with 350 tons of armor and triple the armament.

i tweak a bit ur build, and u can try also this way ;) DRG-1C imao a bit better, more heat efficient, and with better PUNCH still quite fast with tweak.

#14 Darkening Aspect

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thank you so much for the feedback guys.

My favourite hobby in this game is hunting assault mechs with a DRG, I honestly believe it is such a underated mech people tend to underestimate it...usually at the expense of their rear armour.

My playstyle pretty much follows all of the above, i tend to hold back until snapping off pot shots rapidly changing cover to confuse or distract mechs, let my team engage then wait for a suitable weakness in the line to exploit.

I'm hoping with the upcoming modifications to the PPC the addition of it to the mech will allow me to take down ECM as a first strike in the ambush :P

#15 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

2 ppc + gauss + XL 265 OR 3 ppc + XL 350 will serve you well.

#16 Rusty Shackleferd

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

If you are a PPC fan, you will like this build that I have recently been running:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f76db09cc1bcc29

Heat management is a must, but how I play this mech virtually matches your style. I tend to sit back and weave behind hills and cover while taking pop shots. The AC2 is just to up a little bit of the damage output and let you have something to do while you cool down. When engaging in a brawl, firing the only ERPPC would suffice. When at range, a dual ERPPC/PPC strike will put on the hurt.

#17 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostShade4x, on 25 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Total theory craft, but if you drop AMS you can put on FF. :)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79a25235238a313

+extra ton UAC5

#18 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

The UAC5 may not get much love right now, but I absolutely adore it on my Flame. 4ML, UAC5, SR6, XL350 and DHS to taste. Once I figured out the lead time on the UAC, I can accurately hit at range and moving with it. It's not a primary weapon, so if it jams I can deal with the unjam (auto) time or manual actuation. I tend to - at this point - move in at +100kph and fire off as many shots from the weapons as possible before ducking back out. Always on the hunt fot targets of opportunity - and SRM6+UAC to the face is never a good day for anyone. The 4LL layout also works well if you are engaging from range quite a bit. My .02 as a newbie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users