The Sdr-5D: I Spy A Spider Build

5 replies to this topic

#1 WetNoodles

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hey guys, this is a Spider-5D build that I have been enjoying a lot lately, so I figured I'd share it, as well as a short guide to how I've been successful so far using this build.

Here's a look at the loadout in Mechlab:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The purpose behind this armor distribution is to give maximum protection to your torso, as a result of using the XL engine, which takes up space in both the left and right torso.

Upgrades and loadout:
Endo-Steel, Double Heatsinks, FerroFibrous
Both the TAG and ER PPC are in the right arm. I prefer this over having the ppc or tag in the body slot to have the freedom of aiming further than your torso can turn.

Your Job:
The primary focus of this build is giving intel to your team and using your long range ER PPC to lay damage into brawlers and assault mechs at the mid/front of the fight.

How to do Your Job:
This mech can quickly skirt the outer edge of the battlefield. Take advantage of your speed and small profile, utilize cover behind objects when you spot other lights passing and making your way behind the enemy front line.

Use your right-arm mounted TAG to keep your team's missile boats on target and to deliver information about mechs that are protected by ecm to your teammates. When the enemy front line engages your team's, start using your right arm PPC to chip away at enemy mech armor. If you consistently land your PPC shots in the same area on enemy mechs' backside, you can normally strip their back armor between 2 and 4 cycles. You also can use your PPC to help your team finish off cored mechs quickly.

Be wary of enemies that are also using ER PPCs, ER Large Lasers, or gauss rifles that can return fire over long distances.

An Alternative Role:
As with other light mechs, you can harass slow moving, defenseless LRM boats such as the non-K2 variants of the Catapult. Circle around these mechs and concentrate fire as consistently as you can into their front and rear torso. You can net an easy kill and stop these missile boats from dealing considerable damage to your team's brawlers and assault mechs.

Extra Tips:
Your mech's profile is tiny. If a light mech is chasing you or you are being flanked by heavier mechs you can often lose your attacker(s) by swerving between obstacles, breaking sight, and shutting down near wreckage or in tight corners.

Avoid light mech streak boats. Mechs that can keep the distance between you tight and are running streak SRMs will almost always win a skirmish. (Commandos and ravens commonly fit this description. Try to avoid these guys at all costs.)

Finally:
I've had pretty good success with this build, averaging around 250 to 260 damage a game and at least one kill.
I plan to have some footage of this build in action as soon as possible.

If you have any advice, comments, or questions feel free to let me know. Currently testing different variations of this mech (ferro-fibrous, faster engine, etc). I plan on updating this guide if I find anything more valuable.

Here's links to other Spider threads/builds:
Sniper Spider
Good Loadouts for Spider?

Edited by WetNoodles, 18 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#2 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I like where you are going with this, and I've been working on something similar.

But my main constructive criticism would be.... the Jump Jets are the main advantage of the Spider, and without them then you are kind of better off with another light mech like the Raven which can still go almost as fast and mount an ERPPC with TAG and even SSRMs.

Even a couple Jump Jets would help with clever maneuvering.

Also, the leg armor is just way too low for my liking. The is the first place that smart players shoot a light, and you also take a fair bit of leg damage just running around at high speed.

I absolutely agree with the use of TAG and the ERPPC in the arm, though.

Have you tried something like this? Sniper Spider

-The heat should be almost the same, since the 10th in-engine heat sink counts for double instead of 1.4.
-Max speed, to help you avoid hits and hopefully get away from streak lights.
-2 Jump Jets. You won't get a lot of height, but since the JJ buff, it will still be useful for maneuvering.
-Nearly max armor (just a little off the left arm).

If you want to stick with the XL235 engine you already have, but try out the Jump Jets and have more armor.... you could try this. SDR-5D

#3 WetNoodles

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostRavennus, on 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I like where you are going with this, and I've been working on something similar.

But my main constructive criticism would be.... the Jump Jets are the main advantage of the Spider, and without them then you are kind of better off with another light mech like the Raven which can still go almost as fast and mount an ERPPC with TAG and even SSRMs.

Even a couple Jump Jets would help with clever maneuvering.

Yeah, thanks for reply (Both here and in Tybo's thread)

I tried out a couple jumpjets the other night while I was toying with this build and I wasn't -too- big of a fan of them, but I also was pretty unwilling to pry out the two extra DHS. Tybo's use of the jumpjets in his video was pretty inspiring though. So I figure I will follow both of your guys' advice and jump on that. I really like the XL 235 (and even thought about running an XL 255 when I get the money) to try and keep distance from light mechs running streaks (like the Raven you suggested).

Edit: Which is apparently exactly what you suggested. Double thanks :D

We'll see where the extra jump jets helps out. If Tybo is finding a lot of success with the XL 210 and jumpjets, that would free up plenty of tonnage for full armor. Likewise, running 4 JJ and 10 DHS frees up enough critical slots for ferro fibrous, which should be able to let me fill out everything but the left arm.

Edited by WetNoodles, 17 February 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#4 Tybo

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Very nice :}

#5 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

No prob! Glad to help :D

Let me know how it works out!

#6 WetNoodles

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I really like the build with only 10 DHS, and ferro-fibrous upgrade. I'll update in the morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users