8 replies to this topic

#1 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I wanted to get a pulse on these...

I have a CTF-4X, and have 4 ballistic hard points.

I've tried to use all the standard builds, (2 or 3 UAC/5), (4 AC5's), (4 AC2's)... but loading up so heavily on these big Ballitics weapons leaves little weight, and often means I can't fit the BAP or ERLL or Full armor if not using an XL engine.

I have a build with 2 LBX10 and 2 Machine Guns..i tend to use them at very close range.

Question for you... is it in anyway disorienting to you when a Mech is in close proximity to you laying on you with Machine guns??? Cause I haven't had anyone use them on me that I can remember...

Also, there is a Spider with (4) Ballistic hard points that might be fun to run if machine guns really are worth it...

I just don't really know, wanted to a feel from all you guys and gals out there.

Flak Kannon.

#2 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

with 4 MGs... you'll live up to your name! :D

#3 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

No, its not, at all.

And BAP on a Cataphract? srsly?

#4 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I tend to try and take BAP in ALL my builds because if I am a close in fighter and can spot for my Missle boats in the back, more power to my team... and I get alot of free C-Bills for Spotting.

#5 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Yes, but BAP just extends the detection range, so long as the target is in LOS and not obscured by ECM. So if you're already right on them. . .

Meh, to each his own.

Oh, and I've tried quad MGs on a Cicada - not really effective. At all. You have to have the armor on the target peeled back before you can crit, and it doesn't effect engines yet. (as far as I can tell)

#6 Zeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Using machine guns on inexperienced mechwarriors will screw them up in all kinds of ways, true.

However, using machine guns against anyone with a 60%+ win-rate, and you'll probably find them laughing as they turn to face you.

#7 MQ9 Reaper Predator Drone

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

leave machine guns to spiders

#8 Jot Nara

• PipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 58 posts
  • Location2:1:2

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostMQ9 Reaper Predator Drone, on 22 February 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

leave machine guns to spiders

Don't even leave them to Spiders. Tried the 4 x MG spider w/ one MPL. Fun, but reeeeaaaaallly ineffective. I saved the MG's for open holes in armor... it works great now to shred criticals, but why do that when with another weapon you could just peel off the whole torso?

#9 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 22 February 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

I wanted to get a pulse on these...

I have a CTF-4X, and have 4 ballistic hard points.

I've tried to use all the standard builds, (2 or 3 UAC/5), (4 AC5's), (4 AC2's)... but loading up so heavily on these big Ballitics weapons leaves little weight, and often means I can't fit the BAP or ERLL or Full armor if not using an XL engine.

I have a build with 2 LBX10 and 2 Machine Guns..i tend to use them at very close range.

Question for you... is it in anyway disorienting to you when a Mech is in close proximity to you laying on you with Machine guns??? Cause I haven't had anyone use them on me that I can remember...

Also, there is a Spider with (4) Ballistic hard points that might be fun to run if machine guns really are worth it...

I just don't really know, wanted to a feel from all you guys and gals out there.

Flak Kannon.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACeo1C5N6Is

Machine guns do -nothing- against armor, but if you notice carefully, before he dies we knock out both of his machine guns.

In other words, if you have lots of ballistics slots, especially on a high-heat build, MGs can actually be really useful for their tonnage. They let you keep laying internal damage on other mechs while you're on cooldown, and the chances to knock out weapons are actually insanely high.

The biggest problem with MGs right now is that engine crits don't do anything. You cannot kill a mech by critting out his engine, so by extension you can't kill a mech with machine guns unless you touch off his ammo.

Edited by Josef Nader, 22 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users