6 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Access to everyones ELO ranking and or full disclosure of it's metrics would result in:

- "ELO is broke because there is no frigg'n way (insert player here) is equal / better than me."

Nothing really more to say... There is just too many egos and swinging e-peens around here to accept some arbitrary ranking. :D

Edited by DaZur, 22 February 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#2 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

yeah.. in a game like this elo is really meant to be a behind the scenes of matchmaker. not a ranking system

Edited by Tennex, 22 February 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#3 Kyutaru

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Short version: My internet wang is bigger than your internet wang!

Always the best reason not to have ELO made public, especially when it's determined by something like SOLO QUEUES.

#4 Rakashan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

But it's *not* determined by solo queues. Or do you really believe that people who drop predominantly in groups are not ranked yet? Have you missed the part where people who drop in premades a lot seem to have inflated their ELO to the point that they can't compete with the other premades in their neighborhood?

#5 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostRakashan, on 22 February 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

But it's *not* determined by solo queues. Or do you really believe that people who drop predominantly in groups are not ranked yet? Have you missed the part where people who drop in premades a lot seem to have inflated their ELO to the point that they can't compete with the other premades in their neighborhood?

they need to add some sort of math to keep the solo elo gain and group elo gain separate. or some sort of separate point system for PUG and team drop.

cuz this was a problem in League of Legends too. Elo was designed for chess, which was a 1 on 1 game. there are problems in team based games. mostly group queue, and how to split the ELO from a won game.

Edited by Tennex, 22 February 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#6 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I really, really, really want to access to my elo score in order to know how (comparatively) bad a player I am. Failing that I suggest the following:

Bottom 25% elo players:

Next 25% elo players:

Next 25% elo players

Next 25% elo players

Give me my darned Cadet ranking!!! :D

#7 Rakashan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostTennex, on 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

they need to add some sort of math to keep the solo elo gain and group elo gain separate. or some sort of separate point system for PUG and team drop.

cuz this was a problem in League of Legends too. Elo was designed for chess, which was a 1 on 1 game. there are problems in team based games.

The ELO system has not bitten me (I'm still winning and winding up in the top half of my team often) but I agree with you about group vs. solo. In fact, I am leaning more and more toward a BV-style rating with an ELO contribution. They've already indicated in a couple of comments that ELO is divided by weight class which makes sense. The problem is that focusing on ELO means that the matchmaker is a lot worse today at balancing weights which is making for some unintentionally lopsided matches. Maybe that'll get cleaned up as the ELO spread gets better distributed but I really expect that to cause more and more difficulty in weight matching as ELOs get more diverse. The other thing that would improve the situation is a massive influx of players... If the player pool suddenly jumped by a factor of 2 to 4 then the number of players in a given area of the ELO would make it easier for the secondary matching on weights to happen.

The problem with BV is that you'd turn the MM upside down again and be matching mostly on BV and then adjusting based on ELO which would be much less likely to group players of like skill... Not an easy problem to solve no matter how you slice it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users