Reverse The 't' And 'y' Default Chat Hotkeys

1 reply to this topic

#1 Mhyth

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

It would be very beneficial to many MWO players to reverse the 't' and 'y' default chat hotkeys

Yeah I know it's a minor thing in the larger scheme, but as long as we're still in 'beta'...

In a great many MMOs 't' is typically the /tell or 't'eam chat hotkey and 'y' is the hotkey for shout('y'ell) or global chat. It's very obvious this is confusing folks by the number of team intended messages that I've frequently seen in global chat since last summer.

Sure for the captain obvious responders it 'can' very easily be remapped in the config panel - however not starting reversed from the norm as the default would be greatly helpful to new players and old switching back and forth from other games.

#2 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes. This is one of the dumbest key bindings, and yet it's in a lot of games. T is for Team, Y is for Yell. It screwed me up when I first started because it makes no sense; in fact, it's the exact opposite of what it should be.

There are some other keybinding issues; some big, some small.

O being the override key, for instance, makes no sense, though at least you can explain that it took on a more active role later in development. I'd suggest LShift for the override.

A less serious one is the map being 'B'. It's minor because it does make sense (battlegrid), but it's not intuitive, because people don't check the battlegrid; people check their map. M would have been a better choice for new players, but it's not a big deal.

Full-stop is X. Makes sense, but considering how useful it is for maneuvering, I'd suggest LAlt, because it's easier to hit on the fly.

Only other thing I rebound was weapon groups, but those would be dependent on how many buttons one's mouse has, so might as well leave it, since most people will rebind them to fit their own mouse.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users