Protector And Hit Locations

37 replies to this topic

#1 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Got my Orion early tonight, did about 6 or 7 battles and I have noticed that the center torso gets blown away just about every time while all the other locations remain in tact. I am not sure it's either I am unlucky and I kept fighting crack shot players or the center torso on the Orion is the size of a barn. Some how after keeping an eye on each fight, I am leaning toward the center torso for the Orion is the size of a barn.

Any other Orion users experiencing similar issue?

#2 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Yup, I snuck Sarah's 300 XL engine under the hood and no side blowouts yet. The center is a meaty target, but all in all, it feels like a 75 tonner ought to feel. 546 damage on her maiden voyage, 3 kills, the very first was another Orion, center torso on purpose!

The PC crapped out during the last roundup, but this thing can eat wounded stragglers!

Edited by Die Primate Die, 04 September 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#3 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I kept the stock engine, but added endo-steel, replaced the nerfed gauss gun with an ac 20, took out 1 medium laser and ppc replaced them with 2 large lasers and an ams and 3 more heart sinks and max armor. The heat is about 1.22. I have found that this brawler built is much closer to the misery built. Having both large lasers in the same side goes a long way at placing both beams at the same hit location

#4 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

The CT is very big indeed, slapping an XL engine in there is a very good idea imo. Been getting alot better games with my protector since the engine change. It's actually a very durable mech once you get to twisting abit. Doesn't change the fact that dat belly/chest is abit too fat though... :D

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Curious if you have AMS on it?

Are you getting cored by the usual suspect of LRMs, or is it pure "small arms" fire?

#6 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yup, the CT's bloated as hell. Always died from CT breach. Slapped an XL360 in it and was able to last a lot longer.
If you so much as look at this mech, the CT takes a hit.

#7 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 04 September 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

Curious if you have AMS on it?

Are you getting cored by the usual suspect of LRMs, or is it pure "small arms" fire?

"Small arms" fire, LRMs is not really too big of an issue if you don't run around in the open too much.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

The shoulders seem pretty big, once people become aware you have an XL and purposefully begin shooting for the sides(especially the missile-box left torso) then you should see more side torso deaths.

#9 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

The CT tends to take the most damage, but it isn't a ******* bullet backstop like the Awesome. Seems to spread damage ok, similar to the Victor.

#10 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

With the current center torso size, I don't think the protector is suited for brawling. To keep it survive longer, one will have to run it as a fire support mech and not as a front line mech. Kind of sad.

#11 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

I drive it like I do my Hunchback, using the left side to protect the AC20 I popped in. And I lose a side before the center in the 10 or so matches so far. But I'm used to twisting to shield my center and right torsos.

#12 Saiyajin12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Nah, it brawls fine against bigger slower mechs that are caught kinda alonish, like if you can get to running circles around an atlas or a stalker, you're pretty much set (don't tell them they can back into a wall).

Also it wrecks medium mechs as well as does well against other heavies, just make sure you're not the first one to run in. Lights don't brawl, but eh, my current build does pretty well against those as well.

Really enjoying playing my orion since I swapped to the XL360 engine. Scoring anything from 350 to 800+ in dmg per game now.

One thing I've noticed, which may just be my imagination, but ELO seems to work better or something, getting alot of matches that are really close instead of one sided curbstomping more than half the time :(

#13 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

guys... it's the first day we've seen the mech. Stop asking for ST shots and torso twist. Once standard variants are released for cBills we'll see people adapting and going for torso kills

#14 Gunnr75

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt Louis

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Oh man, I thought I was the only one. Yes, CT getting cored before I lose other limbs. Been trying to get a feel for this new beast. Part of the fun. Looking forward to the other varients.

#15 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

So it's a large CT, but not Kintaro sized? (Unlikely, since the mech is smaller than a Kintaro from what I've seen)

#16 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostBront, on 04 September 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

So it's a large CT, but not Kintaro sized? (Unlikely, since the mech is smaller than a Kintaro from what I've seen)

Don't know if it is kintaro size or not, but because I ran my protector as a brawler, I die much faster than the kintaro. Basing on the battletech history, the Orion was supposed to be a classic front line mech. But this fatal CT flaw pretty much took it out of the front line roll

#17 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

The players I've seen that have kept it alive in brawls have all made pretty extensive use of defensive torso-twisting. The surface area isn't actually that bad (I was pugging in my shotgun DDC last night - when things have bad CTs, they disappear to SRM/LBX a lot faster than Orions do.) It's basically a smaller Atlas, with everything that entails, including a large but defensible CT.

#18 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

Maybe in relative size the CT is somewhat large, but overall the Orion has a comparatively small silhouette and thus under absolute terms the CT isn't overly huge. The Awesome, Trebuchet, Highlander or Atlas have a front side, that looks like a football field, that's not true for the Orion.

#19 fierymountain

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostAutobot9000, on 05 September 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Maybe in relative size the CT is somewhat large, but overall the Orion has a comparatively small silhouette and thus under absolute terms the CT isn't overly huge. The Awesome, Trebuchet, Highlander or Atlas have a front side, that looks like a football field, that's not true for the Orion.

Orion might be small, but it is the same size as the kintaro. But with a much wider torso. As to the other mechs, I can't say anything other than the Atlas. I ran 3 versions of the Atlas (DDS, D, RS). and in the 120+ matches with them, I am confident to say that 95% of the time when my Atlases are destroyed, at least one of the side torsos are gone if not both as well as one or both of the arms are gone too before the center torso goes. So regarding your Atlas has a bigger center torso area, I disagree when compare to the rest of the hit locations on the upper body.

And no, I am not skilled enough to do the defensive torso twisting. I have always faced my targets head on

Edited by Shenshan, 05 September 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#20 Athurio

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

I did notice that it's a bit larger, but as someone else said, it's defensible.

However, I did notice when taking hits to the 6 o'clock, I was taking front CT damage instead of rear. Though, I think that may be more related to HSR's interaction with my client's latency.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users