Light Mechs & Scouting

19 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

If you are new and decide to play a light mech please take this advice.

If you are going to run out ahead of the entire group, do not engage the enemy. Ever.

Unless you are god's gift to mech piloting, all you do is die in 2 seconds and put the entire team at a disadvantage.

Some of you may have played at some point and taken a break, and were used to being immune to attacks due to speed and lag. That is not true anymore.

If there are 3 or 4 lights with ECM and you move as a pack, that's fine. It hurts a lot to run into those.

But if you are a solo commando, or a spider or even a solo raven please just hang with the group and flank the enemy when engagements occur. Or go cap their base to draw some away from the main battle. Or for conquest go do a little capping to split them up.

But please for the love of god do not run up and die in 2 seconds. In this game a team's chances of winning drop drastically when you are at 6 people vs their 8 suddenly. Skill can only trump so much.

And yes this is a bit of a rant where I've had 2 or 3 matches in a row where this happened.

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 24 February 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#2 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Excellent rant!

I have harped on this issue a few times - light mechs with (or, frankly, without) ECM not working as scouts. The ECM, as implemented, has destroyed role warfare in MW:O and the lights carrying it believe themselves assassins. A light mech scout, if designated such by the team (or even self designated), needs to sneak, peek, and retreat - rinse and repeat as needs. Give it a TAG with a range over 600m and you have an even more valuable asset.

But, as the OP states, learn to be a scout and how to survive. I've seen the same scenario play out many times - the light mech saunters out and gets toasted without even telling the main body where the enemy is even close to.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 24 February 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#3 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah I've encountered a lot of lone lights just running straight into my team.
It always makes me laugh xD

#4 Ranulf Magnusson

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationKTown

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

How and where to get ECM ?
For MY Mech, not for some Techies dumb Idea.
AND how to coordinate when tagging or even using NARC ?

And a log more...

I am fresh to MWO , but not to Mechwarriour or MMOP.

And its depressing to upgrade my Raven, load on NARC...

and then some ***** shoots my Backplate to splinters rambling about how *my kind steals his kills* ?!

Having 100 tons of **** doesnt help much... so I run and dodge my way .

#5 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I really try not to tell people how to play. But man, i just don't think it's fun to run up and die.

View PostRanulf Magnusson, on 24 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

How and where to get ECM ?
For MY Mech, not for some Techies dumb Idea.
AND how to coordinate when tagging or even using NARC ?

And a log more...

I am fresh to MWO , but not to Mechwarriour or MMOP.

And its depressing to upgrade my Raven, load on NARC...

and then some ***** shoots my Backplate to splinters rambling about how *my kind steals his kills* ?!

Having 100 tons of **** doesnt help much... so I run and dodge my way .

Ok so ignore people who complain about kill stealing. That's just stupid talk.

Now if you are a Raven pilot i'm going to kind of lay this out broadly. First things first, only 4 variants of mechs get ECM. For Raven's it's the 3L. So if you don't have the 3L you can't have ECM.

NARC was changed recently, but generally speaking for the tonnage most people still consider it a waste of time because ECM totally counters it.

If you really want to do the scouting thing, best thing you can do besides ECM is A. get as big an XL engine as you can, and B. mount a tag.

Also when you get into the modules, the capture module can help you with capping during conquest and f***ing with teams by faking a cap on their base.

And yes I realize that is a pretty broad overview. I'm a medium pilot, so probably not the best to talk too about light tactics.

#6 GhostFacedNinja

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

If you are trying to use TAG to guide in LRMs, please please please light them up for more than a couple of seconds each. It can be very frustrating when targets flick in and out because some light pilot thinks he is achieving something by spraying is TAG over the entire enemy team...
NARC is a waste of tonnage.

#7 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostGhostFacedNinja, on 24 February 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

If you are trying to use TAG to guide in LRMs, please please please light them up for more than a couple of seconds each. It can be very frustrating when targets flick in and out because some light pilot thinks he is achieving something by spraying is TAG over the entire enemy team...
NARC is a waste of tonnage.

Yeah I get a bit frustrated by my team cycling targets when I play an LRM boat. I think i'm going 500 damage when in actuality i'm at like 150 because of broken targets.

#8 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

By the way, while this does come across a bit as a bash thread, I do want people to realize that playing a scout right now is very difficult. Especially if you play without ECM.

And this is a team game, running off by yourself in the least armored mech in the game is a recipe for trouble.

#9 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

First i want to say that I agree to the OP
Though i would expand his advice to any mech class: Surviving wins games!
The longer you manage to survive the more damage you can deal and the more you will help the team.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 24 February 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I have harped on this issue a few times - light mechs with (or, frankly, without) ECM not working as scouts. The ECM, as implemented, has destroyed role warfare in MW:O and the lights carrying it believe themselves assassins. A light mech scout, if designated such by the team (or even self designated), needs to sneak, peek, and retreat - rinse and repeat as needs.

I see the role of light mechs a bit different. For me the light's primary role is indeed the assassin and harasser role, and scouting takes only a very small part in a match.
ECM has changed nothing to this role, it simply made many light players overconfident. :(

When driving a light mech i dont just sneak - peak - retreat.
I'll do sneak - run in with guns blazing - retreat. :D

Thats quite a difference.
Light mechs are not to be underestimated in terms of damage.
Each light mech is as dangerous as any other mech out there despite their lower weapon loadout.
They can do the same damage over time like an Atlas, but only IF they survive!

So reducing yourself to a pure scout WILL hurt your team in this game, as sad as it sounds.
Sure, there are those rare occasions where you can tag someone for an LRM boat to let him deal the damage.
Or you can ninja-cap their base.

But most of the time your guns are needed at the front. :D

#10 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

It's the run in, and continue to shoot till a wellplaced ac/20 blows you away "assassin's" that bother me.

I'm fine with light mechs engaging, but not in an 8 on 1 situation.

#11 Ranulf Magnusson

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationKTown

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Ok, thx 4 the echo .

Got some Ideas here I WILL test.

And, as my Engine ist warmed up and my straps tightened...
I´ll start right now :-)

By the way...
Still looking 4 a good Lance.

F2P, so Creds is it... and a lot of Bonty on the way.

#12 ShadowRonin

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Notice nobody sad runing solo with a jenner is bad. That is becasue us jenner pilots are good unlike most raven/commando pilots. :(

#13 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I would like to point out to my fellow light mech pilots that "Charging" is not "Scouting" which seems to be a common misconception.

#14 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 24 February 2013 - 09:21 AM, said:

It's the run in, and continue to shoot till a wellplaced ac/20 blows you away "assassin's" that bother me.

I'm fine with light mechs engaging, but not in an 8 on 1 situation.

Thats true.
Even the best light pilot can easily be focused down, so it's suicide to run into 8 enemies alone.
But there are always easy targets for a light mech. ^_^

#15 DerHuhnTeufel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostSnowcrow, on 24 February 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

Yeah I've encountered a lot of lone lights just running straight into my team.
It always makes me laugh xD

I'd just like to point out that while 4-5 people are chasing that lone light mech around in your lumbering heavies and assaults, the other 7 members of my team are slaughtering your remaining 3-4, and you are next.

Light mechs make great distractions. And if you're still alive at the end, well that's great. But I've won a lot of matches for my team by tying up heavy enemy firepower while my teammates pick off the rest of their team.

#16 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Although this thread may seem like a rant against light pilots, I think it is actually very constructive. For me (Jenner for life), I try to fill the role of light pilot as best I can. Here is a list of some roles:

- Scouting (Use TAG, relay info via team chat to LRMs or to mainforce. I.e, "Atlas e4" or "ECM 3L flank". Chat is good, use it)
- Capping (When you have a small hitbox and can hit 150kph, we should cover the objectives, not make the big guys run)
- Base Defense (ties into above. However, I have gone from scout to defense and back. Cover the field where needed)
- Harassment (It may be fun to backstab an Atlas but their buddy will pop you quick. I only go for lone snipers or help my team)
- Covering (protect your mates' backsides. If an Assault asks for backup go their and flick off the bugs)
- Assist kills (Help out in brawls, focus on the most damaged portion to speed up the kill and save your mate from damage)
- Stayin' Alive (if your team is ahead on cap in conquest but dies, stay alive, don't be a hero and win it on cap.)
- Anything your team asks (seriously, if a mate has a serious request that makes sense, do it. Always be a helping hand)

I hope this helps. I only have 3 mechs, all Jenners. I am thinking of going to the dark side and getting Ravens but I am extremely happy with my JR7-F. Also, I final piece of advice, focus on winning, not K/D, XP or C-bills. My K/D is about 0.5 for 2 reasons: I was terrible when I started and I average 4 assists a match since I rather do damage as part of focus firing and let the biggies finish off. I actually don't die often and tend to be one of the last ones alive (not that I don't take risks :D).

View PostShadowRonin, on 24 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Notice nobody sad runing solo with a jenner is bad. That is becasue us jenner pilots are good unlike most raven/commando pilots. :rolleyes:

Jenner brofist!

#17 DSruptor

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostDerHuhnTeufel, on 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I'd just like to point out that while 4-5 people are chasing that lone light mech around in your lumbering heavies and assaults, the other 7 members of my team are slaughtering your remaining 3-4, and you are next.

Light mechs make great distractions. And if you're still alive at the end, well that's great. But I've won a lot of matches for my team by tying up heavy enemy firepower while my teammates pick off the rest of their team.

Very much this. If i can get the other team to split up, the rest of my team should be able to mop up the 3-5 remaining mechs quite easily. This obviously doesnt work all the time, and it definitely does not work if you run far ahead of your team (then you just get focused down by 8 hostiles that have nothing else to shoot at).

Even if the hostiles decide to stick together and i get the whole team returning to the base im capping, well it gives my team a nice oportunity to get a few shots in their backs.

#18 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Glad to see people didn't freak out on my post. I have seen some amazing light pilots (and cicada pilots). And I just hate to see any mech wasted with a 30 second run-in followed by getting blown up.

#19 Ranulf Magnusson

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationKTown

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Oh well, I like the Jenny. And there is a lot to say about the Commando. ( sounds like nasty little sonofa***** )

But I confess. Ill stick to my 4X. At least till I can afford my Treb. Speed is good, yes. But I feel itchy without jump ability...

I hope one day to drive a Wolfhound... THAT would be my Mech :_-)

Edited by Ranulf Magnusson, 25 February 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#20 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostShadowRonin, on 24 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

Notice nobody sad runing solo with a jenner is bad. That is becasue us jenner pilots are good unlike most raven/commando pilots. :lol:

No, you are good, many Jenner pilots are still bad, just as bad as many of the Raven pilots out there, they just can't cover it up as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users