Few Terminology Questions

11 replies to this topic

#1 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I've been on the forum for a while, and there are a few terms I've seen I'm not quite sure what they mean, so I thought I'd ask. (I know what they mean in real life, but not specifically in the context of MWO). The terms are:
  • Zombie
  • Pepsi
  • Cored (I get the general idea of this, looking for specifics)
  • Bugzapper
  • Poptart

#2 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm not usually good at writing definitions, but anyway...

Zombie, or the ability to Zombie, refers to a Mech that has weapons mounted in the Center Torso and/or Head so that they can continue to deal damage even when both arms and both side torsos are destroyed.

Cored, as far as I know, refers to destroying a Mech by taking out the center torso. If it has a more specific meaning, I'm not sure.

Poptart is when a Mech uses jump jets to peak out from behind cover, fire their weapons (typically long range, high damage weapons like PPCs or Gauss Rifles) and then drop back down behind their cover.

As for the other two...I haven't yet seen either "Pepsi" or "Bugzapper" used here on the forums, so I have no idea.

Edited by darkkterror, 26 February 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,953 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, I haven't heard those two either. I'd add that "Cored" primarily refers to destroying a 'mech by only taking out its center torso, but like all slang this meaning is flexible. A related term, "Side-cored," refers to destroying a 'mech through taking out only the side torso - this only works if the 'mech is using an XL Engine.

#4 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Zombie is not what I assumed, glad I asked.

I've seen cored used in other contexts, such as "shoot that hunchback CT, he's cored". Guess it means (in that context) that he still has armor everywhere else.

Poptart is what I assumed.

I've seen bugzapper referenced a lot. Pepsi usually refers to a build, such as pepsicat. I'm guessing it relates to PPCs or large lasers (pepsi cans are blue), but I could be wrong.

#5 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Pepsi = PPC

Try to phonetically say PPC out loud. It comes across as "p'p-see". Just saying Pepsi is a bit easier due to native english speakers being very use to consonants (especially sharp consonants) being separated by vowels.

Bugzappers I'm not entirely sure on.

#6 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

I know/have a different definition for a Zombie. A Zombie is a standard engine, all energy weapon based armor pig. So named because of the lack of hazardous criticals (no ammo no XL slots in the side torso) a true Zombie will be boating heatsinks too to soak up critical damage. So the swayback is a good exmaple of a zombie.

#7 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

The term of a "zombie" mech, is as old as the Cents.

It really refers to a mech with only it's legs, CT and head left, who can still deal damage.
All cents, because of the E slots in the CT, and most (all?) Hunchies because of the E slot in the head have the ability to go "zombie".

YOu will even find special Zombie Builds for Cents in the Mechguides forum.

#8 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

AS7-D is quite good zombie :)

Edited by JudgeDeathCZ, 28 February 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#9 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostEwigan, on 27 February 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

The term of a "zombie" mech, is as old as the Cents.

It really refers to a mech with only it's legs, CT and head left, who can still deal damage.
All cents, because of the E slots in the CT, and most (all?) Hunchies because of the E slot in the head have the ability to go "zombie".

YOu will even find special Zombie Builds for Cents in the Mechguides forum.

The term Zombie, in regards to battlemechs, is about 30 years old chief. As in exploit builds based on the original battledroids construction rule set. Its meaning has of course been applied in new ways and changed as jargon does over the years. Just like the game itself, just remember there's a lot of history preceding MWO.

#10 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

AFAIK i am not a "Chief", thanks for the explanation though.

#11 Vincent Lynch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

"cored" actually means a mech destroyed by fire targeted specifically on the center torso, without much damage done to other hitboxes, or a mech very close to destruction by the same. often happens to lights hit by a high damage-sniper (for example, a gausscat).
"Bugzapper" is new to me, but seems it means a non-light mech build specifically equipped to fight light mechs, and/or ECM carrying Mechs.

#12 Xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationTrying desperately to get behind you for an Alpha Strike!

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Since it hasnt been added yet, i will take a guess at bugzapper.

I dont use the term, and havent heard it before, but my best guess would be a mech with at least 2 srm6 or lb-10x that are used to shoot at light mechs (bugs).

Was probably more commonly used when the net code was much worse and the lag on light mechs was horrific. Lag and net code are getting much better, so it is probably not used as much, but multiple srm6 are still a good way to catch a light mech and get some good damage on them.

Xiang

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users