#1 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

at 6:27, Feb 27th @MechWarriorF2P tweeted:
"Did you know that Pope Benedict XVI will be retiring tomorrow? The Vatican tells us he will be practicing for the next MWO Challenge...."

a user answered at 7:10:
"@MechWarriorF2P didn't like that comment u guys got a great game but should respect Catholics"

at 7:17 MWO replied:
"We respect all religious beliefs. ;)"

it's one of the benefits to live in a free world to have the right of free speach - yet everyone's freedom exists within the borders that are created by the freedom and individuality of our fellow human beings

i don't really care about the pope resigning thing...but i do care about the insincerity of the one who manages your twitter account...
because he or she obviously does not respect all reliigous beliefs - i have not seen a single jew, muslim, mormon or lutheran post in a year following @MechWarriorF2P
so why bashing catholics?

it's not like it was a HUGE deal...
but common...this is not how an (awesome) game (company) should present itself

respecting others means to include everyone (even if it means sarcasm or cynicism) or leave it be!

Edited by Iacov, 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#2 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think all myths should be treated equally. ;)

#3 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

well, let them be able to joke equally about every belief and we'll have no problem

#4 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Its so annoying how easily people get offended these days...

#5 jtyotJOTJIPAEFVJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't get why you would go out looking for the smallest thing to get offended at. It's a joke, and not even an offensive one. There's nothing insulting or uncatholic about playing video games. I don't get some of you people.

it's one of the benefits to live in a free world to have the right of free speach - yet everyone's freedom exists within the borders that are created by the freedom and individuality of our fellow human beings
And that right there is complete ********. Freedom of speech means freedom to express your opinion, it doesn't mean freedom to express your opinion as long as there's not the slightest chance that someone somewhere might get offended at you.

Edited by Piipu, 27 February 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#6 Kooler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't think it's going to turn into Pope Warrior Online but if it does the Popemobile should be the next hero mech

#7 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

what religion ever promoted freedom of speech?

#8 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostVoridan Atreides, on 27 February 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Its so annoying how easily people get offended these days...

(just to explain myself)

the problem i have - and why i started this post - is with MWO's reply ("We respect all religious beliefs. ;) ")
because when i first read the initial tweet ("Did you know that Pope Benedict XVI ...") i had to lough myself
but the reply is just cynical - and that's not okay in my opinion

#9 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Wait are you saying there was or wasn't something wrong with the original tweet.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it, nothing disrespectful about it, and nothing indicative of bias about it.

Hell the response to the original tweet just reeks of knee jerk hypersensitivity that is so common to believers in anything (secular or religious) that they cannot handle the slightest thing said about the source of their belief they disagree with and find insult everywhere.

#10 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

....Where is the bashing? I don't hear you whining that "Allah" was only recently removed from the banned words list on the forums. Of course not. Complaining about old myths and fairy tales being "bashed" in the modern era is asinine and silly.

#11 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostIacov, on 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

i have not seen a single jew, muslim, mormon or lutheran post

That is not an exhaustive list of religious beliefs, therefore you've offended me. As a proud Pastafarian I can't abide by such lack of respect. Please apologize.

#12 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

The Pope approves the tweet.

#13 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Where is this catholic bashing, please quote?

#14 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 27 February 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

Wait are you saying there was or wasn't something wrong with the original tweet.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it, nothing disrespectful about it, and nothing indicative of bias about it.

Hell the response to the original tweet just reeks of knee jerk hypersensitivity that is so common to believers in anything (secular or religious) that they cannot handle the slightest thing said about the source of their belief they disagree with and find insult everywhere.

You've offended by belief that I shouldn't be offended on the internet. I demand an apology, your resignation from your job, and 100 million dollars to cover my pain and suffering.

#15 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

A Catholic, a Jew and a Buddhist walk into a bar...

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 27 February 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

That is not an exhaustive list of religious beliefs, therefore you've offended me. As a proud Pastafarian I can't abide by such lack of respect. Please apologize.

I was a Satanist for a while. Now I just don't give a f8ck. I sleep better since I gave up religion for lent.

#17 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostSir Trent Howell, on 27 February 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Complaining about old myths and fairy tales being "bashed" in the modern era is asinine and silly.

Now that can be offensive. We all have our beliefs and I suggest you respect them. The tweet was not a big deal but calling someones beliefs fairy tails? Thats ridiculous and totally uncalled for.

#18 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 27 February 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

i sincerely apologize and you are right, the list is not almost complete - therefore i should have included a disclaimer, that all beliefs should feel included with this post and the mention of only four other religious beliefs is not ment disrespectful

#19 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Like 90% of the forum this thread is sad and dumb.

Stop posting sad/dumb things TIA.

#20 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 February 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

I sleep better since I gave up religion for lent.

I can understand that if you were a satanist. I can't tell if your joking or not but I hope you were.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users