Xl Engine Suggestion For The Cplt Chassis

18 replies to this topic

#1 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm getting close to unlocking all the elite skills on my 3 Dragons, and am looking at another chassis to get into. I was thinking Cataphracts, but after playing in the online mechlab, I started leaning more towards Catapults instead. I'm getting kind of worn out on managing the different DRG weapons groups spread out over different arms and torsos. Looking at the Cataphracts, they seem to be similar in that regard (if not a little worse). Catapults, however, seem to not have that problem, both because of the way the hardpoints are located and given that most of your lateral aiming just comes from torso twist. Catapults can also run XL engines much more safely.

Between the C1, C4, and K2, I can create some unique builds with each variant (both cheese and non-cheese builds). I'll have options for being ballistics heavy, energy heavy, and missile heavy (either LRM, SRM, or a mix of both). And between the C1 and C4, and can do varying combinations of missiles/energy.

For my Dragons, I just bought 1 XL300 engine and swapped it between the three variants. I'd like to do the same for the Catapults to save on CB. Is there specific XL engine size that works well on different loadouts on all the variants?

It seems like a 300 XL adds a good speed boost and allows for some extra tonnage over the stock engine. That would allow me to either not buy another XL right away, or have another engine for both my Dragons and Catapults, which I assume will come in handy at some point with dropship mode.

Edited by malibu43, 26 February 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I would buy the XL 315, this one makes the cat fly across the field. With the K2 you can make some fun brawler combinations. I typically use a 250xl though in my LRM boat builds on the C1. I never purchased the C4. I also would not worry too much about cheese. People love to get really mad about the splatcat, but it's mostly due to them not understanding its loadout. If the splatcat is fast, like it should be, you can expect it to have a 315xl making it pretty squishy. The splatcat is basically a mech with a powersword, no damage long range but tears it up in melee. It can be cheap if an ecm is nearby helping it sneak up, but for the most part it kills an assault then dies right after.

#3 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Basically either XL300 or XL315, except the C4 which has some wicked hardpoints that you need to sacrifice engine big time to make up.

XL300 is basically the safe bet if you ask me. The loss of speed is marginal in exchange for some firepower.

#4 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

i run a XL 285 or a XL 300 but i do have the 10% tweak,
you need speed in the A1 to survive you will be a priority target.

i also have the C1 that has the xl 285 so i can pop in Artemis.

these weights in engins allow you to carry jump jests as well as enough DHS to keep you cool

Edited by Demoned, 26 February 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Vermin

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

my first mech was a K2, didnt like it all that much, sold it for a cataphract X4...now i miss my K2.

#6 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I use the 300 XL in all of them though I prefer the 315 for my C1 brawler :rolleyes:

#7 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Great. Thanks for the responses folks. Sounds like I can start by just "borrowing" the XL300 from my Dragons. As long as it suits my needs, I can just add another one when it makes sense.

Edited by malibu43, 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#8 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm going to go against the crowd here and recommend that you stick with non-XL engines for the pult. Given how often I've had the side torso ACs critted out on mt K2 before losing my arms, I can tell you that the myth of the Catapult's near unhittable side torsos is just that: myth. I've had good results with the stock 260 engine in a handful of builds, and my budget SRMcat mounts a standard 305 (no jets, no Artemis, and not as generous with sinks or ammo as the XL packing versions, admittedly).

#9 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I run the XL300 in all my Cats. You can lay out for the XL315, but the 300 can be used in more mechs and almost all the builds I like on the Cat. The difference is speed is marginal, the expense is significant. If you already have an XL300, I think it's a no-brainer to stick with it.

#10 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I go with the xl 300 mainly cause its the best overall xl engine in my opinion with so many mechs being able to use it. The xl 315, I shy away from cause for a little more speed it is not that much more helpful in other mechs other than the cat and I am not that big a fan of the cat.

#11 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I use a XL 260 on my C1, but I'm also using artemis, have 5 tons of LRM ammo, and 16 double heat sinks.

Since you already have a XL300 that's probably a good place to start, you can always buy another engine (although it's expensive) if you want to add more LRM ammo, artemis or heatsinks. I find that a C1 doesn't really need to be any faster than it is. Can't really comment on the other variants though speed wise.

#12 TerebNeerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

XL 255 is good for builds that are focused on ranged combat. I use one in my PPC/LRM C1 and my PPC/Gauss K2.
the XL 300 from your Dragon can be very useful in shorter ranged catapults, particularly SRM boats.

#13 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I've only just purchased my first Catapult (the C1), but I plan on using a XL 300 engine in it. This is because I seem to be able to do what I want in the three Catapults I plan on getting (C1, C4, K2) with a XL 300 in there and also because I already had one since my TBT-3C came stock with it.

#14 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostTerebNeerg, on 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

XL 255 is good for builds that are focused on ranged combat. I use one in my PPC/LRM C1 and my PPC/Gauss K2.
the XL 300 from your Dragon can be very useful in shorter ranged catapults, particularly SRM boats.

View PostTerebNeerg, on 26 February 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

I would agree the xl 255 is the 2nd best xl engine (maybe the best overall) not just for lrm boats but for every mech. Only the Commando can not use it and it has all 10 heat sinks needed with the same weight of the xl 250. Lrm boating its a top choice.

#15 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

View Postdarkkterror, on 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

I've only just purchased my first Catapult (the C1), but I plan on using a XL 300 engine in it. This is because I seem to be able to do what I want in the three Catapults I plan on getting (C1, C4, K2) with a XL 300 in there and also because I already had one since my TBT-3C came stock with it.

I'm also looking at the C1, C4, and K2. Lot's of combinations you can do with those 3.

#16 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

XL's I use in my Catapults:
255, 280, 300, 310 (wrong buy for the stalkers, therefore a 315 will do). It depends on what builds you want, if you (OP) already have the XL 300 from the Dragons, then just happily swap it around into your newly bought Cats. It will do fine and save a lots of money.

That engine can do good also in Cataphracts (of course watch out the easy-to-be-blown side torsoes), Trebuchets, CN9-D, Cicadas, Jenners..

Edited by John MatriX82, 27 February 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#17 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Keep the 300. It is a sweet spot in engine sizes, and used on MANY great builds on different chassis. You only need one, just swap it out when you want to switch mechs. Don't ever sell it, you will be using it a lot :P

Edited by Icepick, 27 February 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#18 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Like john said, 255, 280, 300.

they're the "sweetspot" engines when it comes to weight, rating and heatsinks.

195, 255, 280 and 300 are the only xl's I use.

195 is for commando's and the ac20 raven.

Edited by Flapdrol, 27 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#19 Wittyname Terribad

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Leveled my C1, C4, and K2 with a 300xl. What you've got is perfect for the job

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users