Engine Destroyed With Ct Armor Left?

20 replies to this topic

#1 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

How is this possible, am I missing something?

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

When driving XL´s your sidetorsoes are enough to kill you when they go *pop*.
Other then that, rear armor.

#3 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 09 August 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

When driving XL´s your sidetorsoes are enough to kill you when they go *pop*.
Other then that, rear armor.

I pilot a stalker, I stay far away from XLs. Rear armor was full, I took an MLAS alpha to the core from a Jenner, still had a (red) outline around front CT. Bugged armor display or some mysterious crit? There's nothing in my CT but an engine and structure slots, though.... I'm so confused right now.

#4 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Did you overheat?

Possible ammo explosion in the side torso?

#5 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've had the same in my Stalker. A 5M. Sometimes cored with still yellow armour. Yet to find a cause...

#6 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 09 August 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Did you overheat?

Possible ammo explosion in the side torso?

Had probably 70% heat. I don't keep ammo in sides, but maybe a weapon explosion? Does that transfer to the engine?

#7 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

It sometimes happens to me that I get hit by a weapon without my paperdoll displaying the damage. On the next hit it suddenly seems as if I lost way more armor from that hit than should be the case. I guess that is what happened to you - your armor was already gone, but your paperdoll did not update accordingly.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

If you got legged and you had ammo in that leg, it is entirely possible that when the ammo exploded it took out that leg, and then the damage transferred to your side and then CT. Ammo explosions are nasty.

#9 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

View Postmailin, on 09 August 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

If you got legged and you had ammo in that leg, it is entirely possible that when the ammo exploded it took out that leg, and then the damage transferred to your side and then CT. Ammo explosions are nasty.

It would then report "Ammo Explosion" as the cause, not "Engine destroyed".

#10 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ways to die without losing center torso armor:

1) Overheat
2) Both legs destroyed
3) Rear armor (watch out for those lights)
4) God does not like you

#11 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

It may have been damage transferal. It works inward. As in, ammo explosion (or gauss rifle explosion) deals x damage to the secton it's in; if the section has less health remaining than the explosion damage amount, the remainder of that damage transfers inward towards the CT, to the next section its adjacent to.

Arms transfer to side torsos, legs transfer to side torsos, side torsos transfer to CT. If you're pretty banged up and then a bunch of ammo in a leg blows up, yeah, it can potentially transfer all the way to the CT, depending on the ammo type and how much of it was there, and how much health your torsos had. (Some ammo does more damage when it explodes, and the more of it you have when it goes up, the more damage it does as well; pack a leg full of SRM ammo and if you still have 90% of it and it goes, yeah, that'll hurt real bad)

Additionally, hits to sections that are destroyed but not blown off (legs, side torsos) transfer half that damage inward one step (so hits to a destroyed leg transfer half of that damage inward to the adjacent side torso, and hits to a destroyed side torso transfer half that damage to the CT).

Edit: verified info

Edited by Gralzeim, 09 August 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostVoivode, on 09 August 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Ways to die without losing center torso armor:

1) Overheat
2) Both legs destroyed
3) Rear armor (watch out for those lights)
4) God does not like you

You forgot ammo explosion and machine guns (after engine crits are turned on. An engine has 15 crit health. An AC/20 has 18. An AC/20 is destroyed between instantly to 1 second by 2 MGs once the armor is gone. Imagine your engine after that). But yes this is true.

-----

And yes it could have been damage transferal as Gralzeim said, but regular weapons on destroyed body parts transfer damage to armor first.
ST destroyed, is hit. Front CT has armor. Damage is transferred to armor - 50%.

But.. Side torso destroyed, is hit from rear. Front CT has armor, rear does not. Rear side torso damage is transferred to CT internals - 50%.

Since the report was Engine Destroyed, it could be damage transfer from destroyed body part going inward on a side without armor. But it's more likely that the damage came from an external source likely from behind.

Edited by Koniving, 09 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#13 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm going to work under the assumption that the "doll" just didn't update fast enough and leave it at that. Either way I must not have been keeping keen enough eye on my armor and opponents. Lesson learned.

#14 Blacktemplar223

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, you can have an engine critted out like when a weapon gets critted. Except for the engine it has to be 3 of the slots destroyed, which is why xls die with ST kills. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Blacktemplar223, 09 August 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#15 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostBlacktemplar223, on 09 August 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Unless I'm mistaken, you can have an engine critted out like when a weapon gets critted. Except for the engine it has to be 3 of the slots destroyed, which is why xls die with ST kills. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Engines can't be critted, at least not at this time (may change in the future). What you're thinking of is Inner Sphere XL engines, which count as destroyed if any one of the three torso sections they occupy are destroyed (RT LT CT).

#16 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostThe Justicar, on 09 August 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Had probably 70% heat. I don't keep ammo in sides, but maybe a weapon explosion? Does that transfer to the engine?

You didn't happen to have a gauss in the side, did you? That might have transferred damage as it is the weapon, not the ammo, that explodes with gausses (may be way off base but thought I would ask)

#17 Orchid Vein

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostVoivode, on 09 August 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

4) God does not like you

*snicker*

#18 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Playing devils advocate here. Critical hits DO occur on anything installed in your Mech while there is still armor left.

I've had multiple heatsinks and/or ammo destroyed while still having armor left. Engines CAN be critted, case in point: I dropped in my K2 ( 2x AC/5 and 2x PPC, XL300, ammo in legs) on Forrest, match starts. I walk across the drainage ditch and take a left at the next gorge. Walk up the hill to come face toface with an enemy, he fires 2 AC/5's and 2 MLas, I die.

On the death screen I see: Cause of death: Engine destroyed. Looking at the paperdoll all armor is still brand new except the CT is light yellow while the CT internals are gone.
Damaged by AC/5 and Mlas.

This all may be a bug but it does happen and to be honnest I quite like that it can happen.

Edited by GTV Zeratul, 11 August 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#19 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:39 AM

I agree. It happens to me about once a month, and has since closed beta. Since there were through-armor crits in TT, I just assumed that they were here, too, just with a radically lowered chance to occur....

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

I've had 1-2 instances since the last patch where I've had CT internal damage with no CT External damage without an hoverheat. It might be a display bug, or there might be something else doing CT damage that shouldn't be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users