The Wars Of Reaving

21 replies to this topic

#1 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBroken Wheel Federated Commonwealth

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

this is one awesome Sourcebook. Clans as of 3085 are down to 4 Home Clans and 6 Sphere Clans. The Abujurated Nova Cats is still the Dragon's Pet and Wolf-in-Exile are starting to look like the Kell Hounds Pet. Clan Goliath Scorpion(with what remains of Clan Ice Hellions and Clan FireMandrill) moves to and takes Nueva Castile. How called Escorpion Imperio.
Home Clans: Cloud Cobra,Coyote,Star Adder,and Stone Lion(Zeta Galaxy/Hell's Horses.)
Council of Six: Diamond Shark,Ghost Bear,Hell's Horses,Jade Falcon,Snow Raven and Wolf.
The Reaving Wars where just as Bloody as the Jihad. book is worth getting.

#2 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yup, and it ****** as many people off as the Jihad did too so that is an added plus!

Also you don't mention the creation of Clan Stone Lion, which iirc is the part of Clan Hells Horses that stayed in Clan Space splitting off and becoming their own Clan.

#3 qultar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

most hate it as it wipes out many clans for no other fact then they can
and some of the ones that lived like the stone lion just seems od

#4 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostEvinthal, on 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Yup, and it ****** as many people off as the Jihad did too so that is an added plus!

Also you don't mention the creation of Clan Stone Lion, which iirc is the part of Clan Hells Horses that stayed in Clan Space splitting off and becoming their own Clan.

Clan Stone Lion was Zeta Galaxy of Clan Hell's Horses. They faced Abjuration. They lost a Trial of Refusal. Adder Khan Stanislov N'Buta Absorbing them and then formed a new clan form there remaind.
Khan Magnus DelViller and saKLhan Emilio Houen
2 Galaxies with 7 Clusters and 2 Warships.

#5 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

and it tell what happen to the 151st Light Horse Regt. :) The 1st Eridani Lancer Cluster was wide out. So sad that a unit like the Eridani Light Horse is wide out 100%. :(

#6 Mishkin

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

I was happy that Clan Burrock made another go of it.

#7 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I hate how many clans get annihilated but I enjoy playing the time line

#8 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostTargun Darklighter, on 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

and it tell what happen to the 151st Light Horse Regt. :) The 1st Eridani Lancer Cluster was wide out. So sad that a unit like the Eridani Light Horse is wide out 100%. :(

Worry not! They are badly beaten throughout the Jihad, but do survive.

#9 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

This still remains the only post Fed-Com civil war sourcebook and fiction that I have enjoyed to date.

That said, it really felt like the writers were going for some shock and awe with wiping out Clans for no reason other than to thin out the herd a bit. While the events that occurred made sense as far as Clan politics went (there was a massive divide/schism that had been festering for 30+ years), it was still depressing as hell to see many favorites eliminated, as well as how the Clans were ripped apart with the whole Jihad fiasco after thriving for 300+ years (I really dislike the "Jihad". Nothing good came of it in my mind and still to this day makes average sense at best).

A great, fun read though. I guess I was just disappointed with the outcome. It's as if those in charge with the cannon agreed with 70% of the forums on here that the Clans are lame and decided to wipe a majority of them out for good humor.

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 19 February 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#10 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

The war of reaving felt like the writers were trying to tie up a loose end that had been floating around during the jihad: why didn't the warden clans mobilize? An insane religios organization was flying around the inner sphere delivering WMDs at will and wreaking havoc, which is exactly the kind of thing they were supposed to stop.

The other thing it did fairly well in my mind, is eliminate some of the weaker clans and do so for logical reasons; Ice hellion because they were impatient and tried to blitzkrieg an extremely powerful clan and failed to protect their holdings, Fire mandrill because there Kindraa were incapable of functioning as a cohesive unit, blood spirit because they didn't have the numbers to hold onto what they tried to take from a more pwerful clan.

My biggest issue with the book though, is the combination of everyone jumping on the reaving band wagon that Steel viper (obviously bitter at getting spanked by the falcons) and "the society" (which felt like a contrived attempt at creating a clan version of the wobbies).

#11 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

I like both the Wars of Reaving and Jih@d in the BT universe for the conflicts it created.
Though I always felt that the Jih@d would have been the ideal setting for getting the Warden Clans to help out the IS. This could have triggered a Warden and Crusader war (like a bigger version of the Refusal War).

#12 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

Its a great read but shame they wiped out some of the interesting and unique clans that never really got any attention. At least the Snow Ravens survived and got moved to IS status but so many others deserved more attention instead of this obsession the novel writers in particular seem to have with the Falcons and Wolves who are overdone to the point of "oh God not another Wolf/Falcon book.." and the Hells Horses are a joke by 3145.

How about a few novels telling us what is going on with the Ravens and Scorpions in the periphery. Also we know the Blood Spirits are not gone without a trace. More of the 'lesser' Clans with their unique outlooks and quirks and less of the boring same again crap we get from the big two please.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 21 February 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#13 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 20 February 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

I like both the Wars of Reaving and Jih@d in the BT universe for the conflicts it created.
Though I always felt that the Jih@d would have been the ideal setting for getting the Warden Clans to help out the IS. This could have triggered a Warden and Crusader war (like a bigger version of the Refusal War).

See, now THAT would be interesting. They can keep the Society aspect, since it was heavily hinted at in several novels and was clearly planned to happen eventually, but I feel as if a Warden/Crusader war as a spin off to a united Warden action against the Wobbies could have been a hell of a lot more interesting. Might have even made the entire era a lot more tolerable.

#14 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

didn't happen

#15 TABLETOP RULES CLARIFIER

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostFiachdubh, on 20 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Also we know the Blood Spirits are not gone without a trace.

Got a quote for that? 'Cause I've got:

GhostBear said:

It's okay, you can vote for them. They're dead. Dead. Finito. Dead. Six feet under. Dead. Unlike comic book characters and Clan Smoke Jaguar, they won't be resurrected through some silly plot device.

From the assistant line developper and person who actually wrote the WoR. Souce: http://bg.battletech...php/topic,23502

#16 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostTABLETOP RULES CLARIFIER, on 21 February 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

From the assistant line developper and person who actually wrote the WoR. Souce: http://bg.battletech...php/topic,23502

Remember seeing that quote somewhere before now that you remind me of it but there is a pretty blatant hint dropped at end of one of the Dark Age novels, sure it does not explicitly say they are Blood Spirit and could be someone else but was pretty sure at the time but could of been wrong.

Besides it wouldn't be the first time a definite decision about a fictional universe by a dev was ignored by a successor or over ruled by circumstances or a good potential plot line. Although this 100 year leap forward (is that really happening?) that has been mentioned recently would probably put an end to anything not tied up in the forthcoming Era 3145 report and associated releases. Shame as the later DA novels were often quite good and there was potential for a good few more novels.

#17 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

in the MechWarrior Dark Age novel Blood Avatar Clan Blood Spirit personal shows up on the planet Denebola.(3136). will have to re-read it for more info.

#18 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

it's a fun read but...i was really hoping some of the more unique clans would have survived(ie ice hellion) but that was not to be.

#19 Targun Darklighter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostEttibber, on 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

it's a fun read but...i was really hoping some of the more unique clans would have survived(ie ice hellion) but that was not to be.

some of them did but are how part of Clan Goliath Scorpion ie Escorpion Imperio

#20 Marduk Moreau

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMarshall

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostTABLETOP RULES CLARIFIER, on 21 February 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

And who in the future can be replaced and a new Line Developer redact his idea. Clan Wolverine was spoke of with the same finality by Developers of the game in the past. But look we have Wolverines Helping Word of Blake! A shame too the stories of them on BattleCorps had me liking their resolve and style.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users