16 replies to this topic

#1 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

So yeah. There I was, eating some chip-dip, specifically some Salsa Con Queso, when all of a sudden it dawned upon me as I wiped my hand off for the sixteen-billionth time.

Why do companies who manufacture chip-dip always make it in deep glass jars? I can't reach all the way into the canister without getting my hand covered in the stuff, and it just seems logical that they would consider that.

Sure, I know it's lazy. Why not just take a bowl and pull out the dip with a spoon?

Well... Because there's more dip per square inch in a glass can, unfortunately. And bowls are shallow, which makes you miss more of the good stuff. I guess it's good for the manufacturer, because you get less dip as a result, and therefore have to buy more. But it would take about 30 cans of the stuff to miss enough to need to buy 1 full can... so... that's probably not the reason.

Why not just make all dip cans like giant versions of Fritos bean dip cans? They're shallow enough to reach into without getting covered in dip, and allow for more shareage at parties. I would pay a little more for a can shaped like that, so I can enjoy my dip without getting covered in it.

Edited by Prower, 29 May 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#2 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

It's good that you question these things. When you analyze things like this you have a chance to make things better. Frito may be aware of some things via research in order to justify their selection of the canister they use. Things that we might not have taken into account.

I would assume the majority of chip dip users would be males, and males usually have larger hands. So not being able to justify a male getting their hand into the canister to get to the product does seem a bit odd. Sure, a more shallow container might be seen as less product to the user. Personally, I've seen containers by French's that were wide at the top and deep. When used, you can easily get to the product and not worry about getting your hand dirty.

Never had Salso Con Queso, but it sounds good (Salsa with Cheese, right?)

#3 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 26 May 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

It's good that you question these things. When you analyze things like this you have a chance to make things better. Frito may be aware of some things via research in order to justify their selection of the canister they use. Things that we might not have taken into account.

I would assume the majority of chip dip users would be males, and males usually have larger hands. So not being able to justify a male getting their hand into the canister to get to the product does seem a bit odd. Sure, a more shallow container might be seen as less product to the user. Personally, I've seen containers by French's that were wide at the top and deep. When used, you can easily get to the product and not worry about getting your hand dirty.

Never had Salso Con Queso, but it sounds good (Salsa with Cheese, right?)

Well, it's mostly cheese and some peppers thrown in. Definitely not professional grade anything.At least, not when made by Tostitos. It's good as a cheap snack though.

I think French's has the right idea. I'm considering making one of those horridly made little videos about a suggested product, and sending it up, as this is bothering me greatly, and has been for some time. As I love chip-dip.

#4 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostPrower, on 26 May 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well, it's mostly cheese and some peppers thrown in. Definitely not professional grade anything.At least, not when made by Tostitos. It's good as a cheap snack though.

I think French's has the right idea. I'm considering making one of those horridly made little videos about a suggested product, and sending it up, as this is bothering me greatly, and has been for some time. As I love chip-dip.

Do it up brother. I always preface any comment I send in to corporate (including compliments as well as complaints) with a "please do not add my contact information to any solicitation" (cause those who do show me they do not respect my privacy, and earn a strike in a "three strikes and I don't ever do business with you again" system)

Snacks are rarely ever good for you. Chips are better than chips with dip, but dips are just designed to add additional flavors that we like. Sounds like that dip would make a great replacement for nacho cheese + chips.

Personally, I've ALWAYS loved ranch dip with heavily salted chips. The salty flavor of the chip + the sweet cream of the dip makes for a great combo.

#5 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

The wait is killing you guys isn't it.

#6 Kymlaar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSeattle Region

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

For my own chip eating ways I picked up a bowl that looks kind of like mickey mouse's head. It has a large central bowl for the chips, and then in the other two I put salsa and sour cream. The salsa I get from the store though isn't in the jars, it's in the cold section, so it generally comes out of the container really well. It actually reminds me a lot of the salsa you'd get at a restaurant, both in consistency and heat. I'd recommend giving a salsa like that a try, as you end up losing less in the bottom of the bowl.

If I'm going to do a cheese setup I'd usually just make nachos instead. Chips, then grated cheese, then chips, then cheese, and so on a few times all piled high on a plate. Just toss that into the oven on broil for a bit (provided your plate is oven safe) and then add your salsa and sour cream (avocado angers the stomach gods, so I avoid it). Just something to try if you haven't. :)

#7 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostToothman, on 26 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

The wait is killing you guys isn't it.

*looks up from eating potato chips and ranch dip at you with "deer caught in a headlight" eyes*

*goes back to snacking*

#8 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Man, I thought the thread was about Urbies.....

#9 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 26 May 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

When you're out of chip-dip, Urbies are what you throw the empty containers into.

#10 Makaveli

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just came from my kitchen pondering the same thing.

#11 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

So, I hear sedentary lifestyles are gonna be an Olympic sport soon. Go America!

#12 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 26 May 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

So... they aren't already?

Well damn.

#13 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostPrower, on 29 May 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

So... they aren't already?

Well damn.

No they're not yet, but you've got to remember, those Kenyan kids train their whole lives to be good marathon runners, we've got to get good at our respective area of excellence too you know, just incase we get a call up to the 2012 games, mind, I think that snacking would be an American whitewash if it were a real event.

BTW I'm so sick of hearing about London 2012, its everywhere here (the UK) from washing powder to chocolate bars, the news and the internet. I'm more looking forward to the European Football Championship, assuming that they can get the Neo-Nazi fans out of the stadiums. At least watching England I feel a bit more justified eating chips & dips and a cool can of lager.

Edited by Striker1980, 29 May 2012 - 04:45 AM.

#14 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostStriker1980, on 29 May 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

No they're not yet, but you've got to remember, those Kenyan kids train their whole lives to be good marathon runners, we've got to get good at our respective area of excellence too you know, just incase we get a call up to the 2012 games, mind, I think that snacking would be an American whitewash if it were a real event.

BTW I'm so sick of hearing about London 2012, its everywhere here (the UK) from washing powder to chocolate bars, the news and the internet. I'm more looking forward to the European Football Championship, assuming that they can get the Neo-Nazi fans out of the stadiums. At least watching England I feel a bit more justified eating chips & dips and a cool can of lager.

If I had cable, I'd be watching soccer too.

If my legs were not bad from military service and bad healthcare (self imposed partially... due to the ignorance of youth.), I would probably be PLAYING soccer.

Personally, I think Call of Duty would make a good olympic sport. x3

#15 Despaxas

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 26 May 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

I am gonna be honest....I did too.

#16 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 26 May 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Yeah!! Amarhica!!!!!!!

#17 Zearoth

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Going back to the topic... It would be nice if more companies made wide, shallow containers for their dips. Though I avoid the mess by just pouring the sauce onto the chip when the container's nearing empty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users