#1 Stonecutter

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Or how I learned to stop worrying and say "to hell with focus fire."

I bought the CTF-4X shortly after discovering how powerful the AC2 can be. The 4X is the only Heavy/Assault mech with 4 ballistic hardpoints and I thought, surely, mounting 4 AC2s was a strategy that couldn't go wrong.

But in practice it proved not strong enough. 4 AC2s does less damage than 2 AC5s, duh, you say, but I just had to try out my 4 AC2 build. Oh well.

As I learned more about the game I realized the CTF-4X is generally a poor platform if Min-maxing is your game. You can stick two gausses on it, but there are other platforms that's true of that give you bettter options. You can go with 2 AC 5s and 2 AC2s, but that's not the greatest either. 4 AC5s is probably the "best" build for this mech, but I just didn't enjoy it.

Fortunately, Min-Maxing isn't my game. I like having fun with wacky builds, and boy oh boy have I found one.

Ladies and Gentlemen: CTF-4X Metal Salad

Start with a STD 255. There might be a more efficient option, but I wanted more speed than the stock STD 215, and it was the one engine that was feasible that I had laying around.

Load up Endo and DHS to save some weight. Also strip one point of armor from each leg, you'll need it in a bit.

Now drop 2 MLs in the center and a SRM 4 in the head. These are your backup weapons and they'll give your Alpha a little boost when you get in close.

Now for the fun part:

Each arm gets an LB-10 X AC and a Machine gun.

You have seven tons left, which gives you 4 tons of LB-10 Ammo, a ton each of SRM and MG ammo and an extra DHS.

I set the LB-10 X ACs to weapon group 1, the Machine Guns to group 2 and the lasers+SRM to group 3.

Your job is to loiter around the Atlases and be a support brawler. There's very little you can do at range, but once you get in close you can more or less hold down all of your fire buttons without fear of overheating.

I admit it's a bit selfish, but between the MGs and the LB-10 X ACs you are going to rack up component destruction like nobody's business. Granted, the energy slots could go to flamers, but this thing already has enough trouble punching through armor considering focus fire is almost non-existant you need something to pump your DPS. 2 MLs and an SRM4 isn't much, but land that grouping 3 or 4 times as you hold down the fire buttons and you'll be in a much better position .

I'm not sure if it's worth dropping 1.5 tons of armor, or 0.5 and one ton of LB-10 ammo off to add an AMS and AMS Ammo. I generally feel if you spend so much time out of cover as you try to get into position that LRMs become a serious problem, you're not going to last long anyway, but Alpine Peaks is a different beast.

You need to land on the right team, but I've had multiple 4 kill 3 assist matches with 600+ damage with this thing, which is absurd. It doesn't always work, but when it does it's more fun to pilot than any other mech I've tried.

Edited by Stonecutter, 01 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#2 Kargarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Kudos mate! Wacky builds FTW!

#3 Zoccola

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Cataphracts are possibly my favourite chasis and the only 4x build that I enjoyed was:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8d0224b74815070

The AC2 is a fantastic weapon. Its not upfront damage, but its DPS over time is equivalent to the UAC5 (when you factor in jams, and slowing fire so as not to jam). The best thing about the AC2 is the ability to walk fire. When you miss with an AC5/10/20, you miss and have to wait a few seconds to fire again. The AC2 has a .5 second cooldown, and if you have multiple, you can fire them in linked and draw a bead to your target.

Recently, I have been running my Ilya (I have all 5 Cataphracts;) ) with 2AC2s and 2ERPPCs, which is great, but the 4AC2s, LRM5 and Large Laser out performs it at range and up close.

Your Metal Salad build is interesting though. Im going to try it. :)

Edited by Zoccola, 01 March 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#4 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

That looks really amusing.

Any reason you're not using CASE? I'd personally drop the non engine DHS and put CASE in each torso.

If you can stay behind an assault (or some other big target) I don't think LRMs should be that much of a problem as they shouldn't be targeting you.

#5 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

i will toss your metal salad all around the battlefield!

#6 Dom Nightfisher

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

So combining every crappy weapon in the game, somehow works in the slowest CTF?

Yeah..not buyin it.

#7 Zoccola

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

LB10X is not crappy. :P Two are especially not crappy. They were good before, now they are pretty vicious. :)

#8 Stonecutter

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostHebdomas, on 01 March 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

That looks really amusing.

Any reason you're not using CASE? I'd personally drop the non engine DHS and put CASE in each torso.

If you can stay behind an assault (or some other big target) I don't think LRMs should be that much of a problem as they shouldn't be targeting you.

I don't have a good reason other than not particularly caring if it's the "optimal" build. I've fought on Caustic and overheated after alphaing for 20 or 30 straight seconds and got annoyed, so I threw it in there.

View PostDom Cian, on 01 March 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

So combining every crappy weapon in the game, somehow works in the slowest CTF?

Yeah..not buyin it.

Posted Image

*Bemused Masturbatory Gesture*

#9 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm not buying the MG part of that, otherwise looks like a nasty customer. Always fun to see someone do something cool with unpopular equipment.

#10 Orthodontist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEndor, Moddell sector

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

I think the OP will like what I have done with this. :(

Ask me why!

#11 Caladan Nix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostOrthodontist, on 01 March 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

I think the OP will like what I have done with this. :(

Ask me why!

Alright. Why?

#12 Orthodontist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEndor, Moddell sector

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

All three of these were filmed back to back. :(

Edited by Orthodontist, 01 March 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#13 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

OP and Ortodontist have inspired me to get the 4X and continue on my journey of mastering the phracts

#14 Stonecutter

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostOrthodontist, on 01 March 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

All three of these were filmed back to back. :)

Oh yeah, I like. You get it.

#15 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

No offense, but I think you guys have overdone the crits. I will piggy back my STD Engine zombie CTF-4X on here because I love the chassis as well, and if you want to overdo crits well then by all means. The profession really remains the same.

#16 Swift Idiot

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

The 4x Phract is a wikkid-super-bad-butt robot, it's true, but if you're gonna stick more than one LBX on it, you're just getting crazy. Yeah, unloading both barrels at cockpits at like 10 meters is a hoot and a giggle, but put proper AC10s on that thing. Or not, I'll back you up regardless.

#17 Caladan Nix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Interesting. Very interesting. Might consider it versus just doing dual Ultra AC5's.

#18 Diomedesbc

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'm taking the plunge - looks like fun!

#19 Yfe

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Used my beginner c-bills to make this mech, it's been an interesting experience.

When it works, it's great. However, it really doesn't have the direct punch of other setups, being that it's a shotgun-esque build. You spread the damage around a bunch if you can't get on their sides and stick there. Also, you don't have a ranged presence with the "Metal Salad" build linked in the first post. Realistically, you're relegated to a support role. This can be terrible in PUGs due to no real cohesion, and in group play (which I've been doing a lot as of late), I'm sure a different mech/build would contribute a lot more.

It doesn't help that outside of this build, I'm not sure if I really like the potential setups that the CTF-4X has open to it, especially compared to the much faster Dragon or energy variants of the CTF. That, and I'm a horrendous shot, which feeds no dual-gauss setups and other long-range builds that can snipe people if you're accurate.

However, I've been able to go toe-to-toe with an Atlas more than once, as long as his buds are preoccupied and not hammering on me too, which has been hilarious. People don't like it when you run right next to them and stay in their face.

In closing, it's great fun at times, but as a new player, I wouldn't recommend it to other new players unless you've seriously considered the other options that you have avaliable to you on the CTF-4X and other heavies. If you do go with the "Metal Salad" setup, keep the SRM-4 on there. I tried replacing it with an anti-missile system because I was getting destroyed from long range. The damage difference is quite noticeable.

Edited by Yfe, 03 March 2013 - 01:19 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users